[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: LASIK  (Read 957 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
LASIK
« on: July 21, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has gone through with Lasik, and if so, do you recommend it?  I'm sick and tired of glasses, prescription sunglasses, etc.  Does Lasik also fix problems with depth perception? My ability to play certain sports has suffered because of my poor eyesight.   I understand cornea reshaping is an alternative to Lasik, but I don't know much about it other than it involves wearing contact lenses to bed at night.

chcsportsfan

• Scholarship Player
Re: LASIK
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
My wife and I both did LASIK about 10 years ago and could not be happier with the results.  We were 23 years old and have had 0 problems with our eyes.  No need for additional glasses, very short recovery time, etc. 

If you are younger and your eyes have been stable, as long as you go to a reputable place, I think it is money very well spent.  I wish I had done it sooner.  If you are older, it cannot fix weak eyes (ie as you get older your eyes get weaker and typically this results in needing reading glasses).  So it is possible you may not need glasses for many activities, but still need them for reading.

As far as depth perception, I cannot speak to any change/improvement there...I am still as bad at sports as I ever was.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »
I did it 3 years ago and wish I had done it earlier. There are some cheaper options out there but I'd go ahead and spend the extra money.

A lot of the people that I know that went the cheaper option have had to go back for revisions or dealt with some of the side effects (halos, etc).

IMO it was definitely worth it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
I did RK (Lasik predecessor) over 20 years ago. I was part of a study group due to my astigmatism. I've never regretted it. I'm 62 now and have the usual issues needing reading glasses people my age get but that has nothing to do with the surgery. I do not know if they still offer the surgery where they correct one eye for distance vision and the other eye for close in vision but I knew one person who had that done and regretted it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
I have a friend who was considering it, but ultimately decided against it, claiming that it's too new.  The nail in the coffin for her was the locally high-profile case of the TV meteorologist from Detroit:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2018/12/18/meteorologist-jessica-starr-suicide-lasik-questions/2335467002/

Just skimming that story, it seems there's a whole site devoted to the risks:

https://lasikcomplications.com/

Obviously there's complications with any surgical procedure--people have died after wisdom teeth extractions--but it's best to see all risks and benefits before making a decision.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here has gone through with Lasik, and if so, do you recommend it?  I'm sick and tired of glasses, prescription sunglasses, etc.  Does Lasik also fix problems with depth perception? My ability to play certain sports has suffered because of my poor eyesight.   I understand cornea reshaping is an alternative to Lasik, but I don't know much about it other than it involves wearing contact lenses to bed at night.

Do it, best money I've ever spent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 11:01:29 PM »
I had absolutely terrible vision but got Lasik in 1999. By and large, it was well worth it. For at least a dozen years, near perfect vision and no problems aside from some eye dryness - had to use drops a few times a day. Eventually, I needed reading glasses, which as others have said is quite common.

About 5 years ago, I developed an infection in my left retina. They told me it had absolutely nothing to do with the Lasik and I believe them - I'm not even in the same part of the country now, so they had no reason to be dishonest with me. I ended up needing surgery and my vision hasn't really been the same since; might even have to get my first corrective lenses in 20+ years. But my right eye is still pretty darn good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson