[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Interview With Coach Killings  (Read 3203 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Excellent Interview With Coach Killings
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:58:10 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Excellent Interview With Coach Killings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
Offense she be fine. I'm expecting the defense to be even better. Guessing MU holds opponents to zero combined points this upcoming season   :(

leever

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
How is our free throw defense looking?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
What a mutilation of the English lanuage this is.

"The offense has lost a superstar scorer in Markus Howard…but this team might have the best balance of talent/depth at all positions.....Can the previously mentioned newcomers complement returnees including…6-9 C Theo John and 6-3 2G Koby McEwen, slowed by injuries last yr; subs 6-3 PG Symir Torrence, who was impressive at times ball handling and could hit the three as a freshman; 6-6 F Jamal Cain; and 6-3 G/F Greg Elliott?"

Not only the consistent misuse of the elipsis, but wtf is he doing with those semicolons?   So on top of being not all that informative, it looks like it was written by a fourth grader.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
What a mutilation of the English lanuage this is.

"The offense has lost a superstar scorer in Markus Howard…but this team might have the best balance of talent/depth at all positions.....Can the previously mentioned newcomers complement returnees including…6-9 C Theo John and 6-3 2G Koby McEwen, slowed by injuries last yr; subs 6-3 PG Symir Torrence, who was impressive at times ball handling and could hit the three as a freshman; 6-6 F Jamal Cain; and 6-3 G/F Greg Elliott?"

Not only the consistent misuse of the elipsis, but wtf is he doing with those semicolons?   So on top of being not all that informative, it looks like it was written by a fourth grader.

I thought this part was particularly bad:

3] Red Shirt Freshman 2G/SF Dexter Akanno , who has had an impressive off season playing in a California summer league with NBA players…

Under Wojo, the MU offensive was designed to play "the 4 out 1" in offense that Golden State employs with the great shooters which spread the floor. The issue has been do you have the balance at all the positions to play it effectively? Let's take a look at the MU offenses over the past five yrs.

Spaces before and after a comma, the random ellipsis, the terrible use of quotes that not only don't frame the phrase but shouldn't be quotation marks in the first place, and the constant need to abbreviate year to "yr" is just baffling writing. It feels more like a message board post than a professional article.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »
Would have been a nice follow up question to Killings, whose first answer was very high praise of Symir, then why wasn’t he given more opportunity last year if you see all these attributes in him? I saw much of the same Killings did.  I don’t think he’d lavish all that praise if that wasn’t consensus of the coaching staff too.

And for those ready to argue he wasn’t ready defensively, nonsense!  He wasn’t playing behind ANYONE who was solid in all aspects. There should have been a lot of leeway last year to go through some growing pains. He and the team would have been better off for it this year.  Last year too for that matter given our struggles down the stretch.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:23:06 PM by HutchwasClutch »

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
That was horrendous. How does he keep getting these interviews?

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »
Would have been a nice follow up question to Killings, whose first answer was very high praise of Symir, then why wasn’t he given more opportunity last year if you see all these attributes in him? I saw much of the same Killings did.  I don’t think he’d lavish all that praise if that wasn’t consensus of the coaching staff too.

And for those ready to argue he wasn’t ready defensively, nonsense!  He wasn’t playing behind ANYONE who was solid in all aspects. There should have been a lot of leeway last year to go through some growing pains. He and the team would have been better off for it this year.  Last year too for that matter given our struggles down the stretch.

+1
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 12:48:31 PM »

Because we had the greatest scorer in the history of the Big East Conference who needed the ball in his hands, and Symir doesn’t provide much offensively off the ball and was a weak link defensively. Symir played the minutes he deserved to last year. This year the team will have a different makeup and his skill set will (hopefully) fit better.

And you don’t coach for “being better off next year.” Especially when you have an NCAA Tournament team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
That was horrendous. How does he keep getting these interviews?
At least he gets them.  As for the writing, he freely admits he is just scribbling stuff down as he goes along.  These are not intended to be professional pieces, just random transcription of what he hears.  Not defending him here, but it is what it is.

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
Because we had the greatest scorer in the history of the Big East Conference who needed the ball in his hands, and Symir doesn’t provide much offensively off the ball and was a weak link defensively. Symir played the minutes he deserved to last year. This year the team will have a different makeup and his skill set will (hopefully) fit better.

And you don’t coach for “being better off next year.” Especially when you have an NCAA Tournament team.

How’d that work out in the last seven games?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »
At least he gets them.  As for the writing, he freely admits he is just scribbling stuff down as he goes along.  These are not intended to be professional pieces, just random transcription of what he hears.  Not defending him here, but it is what it is.

Getting an interview where you gain no insight and can’t transcribe a story worthy of the English language really isn’t worth anyone’s time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
Well as bad as a Dodds written intwrviews are his audios are even worse. Uh ... uh ... ok...and then he askes one horrible question after another like he is thinking if them on the fly and has the mentality of a third grader .  So anyone expecting anything more than horrible is a complete sucker
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »

He must save the good stuff for the three people who pay for his “insider club” :-/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »

The PG position was the least of our problems over that span.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »
Getting an interview where you gain no insight and can’t transcribe a story worthy of the English language really isn’t worth anyone’s time.
Truthfully, how many sports only related interviews have there ever been that have had insightful questions or answers?  I really can’t think of any other than where there might be a story line related to injuries or other events or circumstances not necessarily directly related to the sport involved.  Most sports interviews are pablum.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »
Truthfully, how many sports only related interviews have there ever been that have had insightful questions or answers?  I really can’t think of any other than where there might be a story line related to injuries or other events or circumstances not necessarily directly related to the sport involved.  Most sports interviews are pablum.

Right. And?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
Right. And?
Good English grammar or not, most sports interviews are pablum.  Scoopers in this thread are just bored posters picking at Dodd’s’ lack of precise grammar and his  softball questions that sports interviewers invariably use.  Moving right along here in this Covid world of limited sports activity.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
Good English grammar or not, most sports interviews are pablum.  Scoopers in this thread are just bored posters picking at Dodd’s’ lack of precise grammar and his  softball questions that sports interviewers invariably use.  Moving right along here in this Covid world of limited sports activity.

Pretty much.

And here you are.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

I'm guessing that the answer would be that while playing 4 on 5 offensively isn't always disastrous, playing 4 on 5 defensively is.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 04:17:16 PM »

Strange.  Are you saying that Wojo should have thrown in the towel with seven games to go in the season with a NCAA Tournament appearance following?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:21:23 PM by 4everDawson »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »

I'd argue that there was some insight in the article.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
I'm guessing that the answer would be that while playing 4 on 5 offensively isn't always disastrous, playing 4 on 5 defensively is.

Apparently you weren't around for the 2 years Derrick Wilson played 30+ minutes/game.  A team predicted to win the Big East instead finished 17-15 and 9-9 in conference, followed up by Year 1 of Wojo leading us to a 4-14 Big East record, and 13-19 on the year.

Original point had merit.  Koby struggled mightily down the stretch, and IMO did not play well with Markus.

feedback