[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kill Cancer Game Thread  (Read 11178 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Kill Cancer Game Thread
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
Boy that was fun. Felt like watching the tough minded teams of Crean and Buzz all over again. Kudos to Joe and the players.

I truly feel Chapman can be a successful CBB coach. Heck, he signed Diener without Travis knowing.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »
Anyone know how/when we get paid?

I haven’t seen an email yet. I think it’s $88.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:37 PM »
This feels better than ‘77 in Atlanta!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Boy that was fun. Felt like watching the tough minded teams of Crean and Buzz all over again. Kudos to Joe and the players.

I truly feel Chapman can be a successful CBB coach. Heck, he signed Diener without Travis knowing.

I doubt he is interested.  He is enjoying teaching and coaching kids, running AAU teams.  He can make his own schedule, does not have to be on the road, does not have to recruit, and does not have to put up with sometimes tempermental college players.  And way less pressure.  I am sure he cares if his AAU teams improve and how his students do in games, but the whole world is not watching and nobody blames him if they lose. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2020, 09:58:36 PM »
Your observation was correct.  The core guys that carried us to this championship were Buzz/Crean guys. 

To be honest and fair, the core guys (Jamil, Buycks, MVP DJO) weren’t Crean/Buzz guys. They were Buzz guys.

Great fun, great win. Great that Travis made the game winner.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
Okay guys, don't forget that you will be getting a 1099 for that money next January.  Save some of that money for taxes!

Or, as someone suggested on Twitter, donate it to The Sideline Cancer foundation (week done, Chick!).

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2020, 10:29:14 PM »
I doubt he is interested.  He is enjoying teaching and coaching kids, running AAU teams.  He can make his own schedule, does not have to be on the road, does not have to recruit, and does not have to put up with sometimes tempermental college players.  And way less pressure.  I am sure he cares if his AAU teams improve and how his students do in games, but the whole world is not watching and nobody blames him if they lose.
I'm sure you're right.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »
I'm sure you're right.

I disagree, Joe is no different than anybody else.  Likes to make money, and a 5 year contract goes along way in college coaching.  Right now he is fighting the Covid
issue, so it is a hustle everyday.  Lost all his camps, right now he has teams playing, but all day long he is working on small group lessons which are good, but not like
having 300 kids at $300 dollars for a week, do that twice a summer and the money adds up. so I am sure winning the TBT gives his family some relieve.  He is a class
act in my book.  He want out of his way to introduce himself to me at a practice where I was sitting by myself in a corner of the gym, tried to shake my hand, but obviously I did not due to Covid.  We had a nice chat for a few minutes, and since that time he has always gone out of his way to say high to me.  I think he could move on to the next level if he wants to.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2020, 01:22:15 AM »
If you look at the younger guys from 2015 onwards there are not a lot of great candidates for TBT...
JJJ - as far as I can tell out of pro basketball
Katin - maybe... playing in Belgium
Henry - would be a good addition. (that'll start a nice dialogue!)
Duane - also would make a nice addition
Matt - law school
Sacar - perfect
Markus - we saw today what professional defense does to 5'11 guys but he could still make an impact against some teams
Froling - might be worth the trip, he's developed well in Oz
Chartouny - maybe for his defense
Bailey - can replace Mo Charlo who's getting old
Jayce - YES!!!

Ultimately the need to replace Buycks and DJO leaves a big gap.  Only Sacar really fits that role.
Nice to see Rowsey and Luke on the team this time... next year pick up 2 more of the above guys and keep the tradition going!

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2020, 06:49:48 AM »
If you look at the younger guys from 2015 onwards there are not a lot of great candidates for TBT...
Matt - law school
Sacar - perfect
Markus - we saw today what professional defense does to 5'11 guys but he could still make an impact against some teams
Jayce - YES!!!

Ultimately the need to replace Buycks and DJO leaves a big gap.  Only Sacar really fits that role.
Nice to see Rowsey and Luke on the team this time... next year pick up 2 more of the above guys and keep the tradition going!

In what way would Sacar replace DJO or Buycks?  Those guys were NBA players and are 10x the player Sacar is.  Sacars story is a great story of perseverance and growth, but hes not very good at all relative to those two. Please remember What Buycks and DJO accomplished as players n team accomplishments at MU versus Sacar disappearing the last two years in Feb n March and being on sub .500 BE teams.  Sacar is 8th man on the buycks/djo teams
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
Matt - law school
Sacar - perfect
Jayce - YES!!!

Our Markus is vastly superior to Keene. Markus would light it up in TBT but theres a very clear reason TBT was not on his radar this year.....and hopefully for many years.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
In what way would Sacar replace DJO or Buycks?  Those guys were NBA players and are 10x the player Sacar is.  Sacars story is a great story of perseverance and growth, but hes not very good at all relative to those two. Please remember What Buycks and DJO accomplished as players n team accomplishments at MU versus Sacar disappearing the last two years in Feb n March and being on sub .500 BE teams.  Sacar is 8th man on the buycks/djo teams

Sacar was a much better player in college than Buycks.  I am delighted at Dwight's success, but he was never a go to guy at Marquette.  I would not have predicted he would make the NBA.  Nor would I have predicted Juan Anderson, who might be interested some time in the future.  Perhaps Reinhardt or Carlino.  We will see what happens in the future, but there is a good core there and Fitzgerald has proven pretty good in recruiting the right players.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
Enjoyed the four games the Golden Eagles played in TBT more than the regular college season. The format is exciting and I love watching this mix of players. Hopefully the same crew shows up next year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
Our Markus is vastly superior to Keene. Markus would light it up in TBT but theres a very clear reason TBT was not on his radar this year.....and hopefully for many years.

He's listed as 5'9, but I think he may be closer to 5'8 too.

Also, as further evidence, Keene's senior year at Central Michigan, their schedule was HORRIFIC.  Their only "decent" non-con game was a mediocre Illinois team that held him under his average and mediocre EFG of 45%.  The rest was done against giants like Tennessee Tech, Montana St, Chicago St, and a very weak MAC that was handily won by an Akron team that then lost in the MAC tourney.

He was a fun highlight that season, and he certainly is a gunner that got hot during TBT, but there was a reason he didnt even win MAC POY and is playing in lower Asian BB leagues while Markus was a top 5 Naismith candidate and should have an NBA look.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
JJJ - as far as I can tell out of pro basketball good player, but not on the level of Buycks DJO
Katin - maybe... playing in Belgium I don't get the sense Katin particularly cares about Marquette
Henry - would be a good addition. (that'll start a nice dialogue!) not until he exhausts every professional possibility
Duane - also would make a nice addition would love to see Duane and cousin Jamil on the court together
Matt - law school for all we complained about Fischer this week, do you really think the out-of-basketball MH would be better?
Sacar - perfect If he goes to Europe and shows out for 2-3 years, sure
Markus - we saw today what professional defense does to 5'11 guys but he could still make an impact against some teams I think Markus would be amazing in this format, especially if surrounded by other talent
Froling - might be worth the trip, he's developed well in Oz not coming back
Chartouny - maybe for his defense is he even still playing?
Bailey - can replace Mo Charlo who's getting old this would be a good pick...but no one else on the team didn't finish at Marquette
Jayce - YES!!! as a backup center for defense and rebounding, absolutely

The real wildcard is Wade.  I thought that losing to Joe Johnson in the final might convince Wade to show up, since it would be a) revenge and b)"cool" for retired NBA guys like Big3 is.  But when Johnson's team lost AND we won a title finally...I don't think he's coming.

I would also love to see Theo John in this format someday.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
Matt - law school
Sacar - perfect
Jayce - YES!!!

IMO, setting aside Wade who I really don't think *should* play in a tournament like this--unless we really want this to turn into a platform for retired NBA players-- there are two obvious upgrades that could make the team better.

Substitute Ellenson for Fischer
Substitute Vander for Rowsey

That's adding two more players that were at least good enough to get some time in the NBA. Ellenson in far more dynamic than Luke, is a exceptional rebounder, and would be a huge upgrade in the 5 out offense. Vander is far better than Rowsey at everything other than 3pt shooting, but the team already has plenty of threats from deep.

Seems highly unlikely for a number of reasons of course. First, Henry and Vander are still trying to grind their way back to the NBA and I doubt they see the TBT as helpful towards fulfilling that dream. Also, neither seemed particularly enamored of their time at MU, so it doesn't seem like they'd have much motivation to play on an alumni team. And tied to that point, the rest of the guys seem bonded by their love of MU, so I don't think the chemistry would be there.

From a talent perspective, adding two more guys with NBA experience and skill sets would take the team up another level, I just doubt it ever happens.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
I think Sacar is a perfect guy for TBT. There’s a lot of value for a guy that’s able to defend multiple positions. He’s also strong and can get to the basket. He’s not Buycks or DJO, but certainly could be an asset.