collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Should Schools open in the Fall?  (Read 7230 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Should Schools open in the Fall?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 08:10:02 PM »
At some point this needs to just run its course. We're not going to quarantine it out of existence. Unless you're new Zealand.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 08:10:51 PM »
At some point this needs to just run its course. We're not going to quarantine it out of existence. Unless you're new Zealand.

Show your math

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 08:18:54 PM »

Nobody serious has suggested quarantining it out of existence.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »

Odd, a lot of places in the world are doing really well.  What do they have in common?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
Odd, a lot of places in the world are doing really well.  What do they have in common?

!) Masks 2) Lots of testing with Tracing

It's possible to do this but it won't happen with the vacuum of leadership.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »

Correctamundo.gif

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »

I agree we are not doing a good job at contact tracing and yes leadership in this area seems non-existent both at the federal and local level because our leaders have politicized the pandemic and not treating it as a serious health issue in and of itself.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 07:35:32 AM »
I agree we are not doing a good job at contact tracing and yes leadership in this area seems non-existent both at the federal and local level because our leaders have politicized the pandemic and not treating it as a serious health issue in and of itself.

Well one leader did.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »
Wife of a veteran teacher here.

One article my wife refers to often is that of the experience of teachers in natural-disaster zones, like hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, both hitting during the school calendar.

Roughly, the thesis was that it's hard, but 15 years past Katrina, those students whose schools were destroyed?  They survived.  Some are doctors and lawyers and scientists, etc.

I have few worries for K-8.  Academically solid kids are going to be academically solid again.   (/teal, the other half were going to be working at Arby's anyhow, and their future is the same.)

High School .. that's more of an issue.  FR/So/Jrs .. they are learning how to be functioning humans.   Thankfully they can handle more virtual stuff, but yeah, troubling.

Socially, yeah, they'll all suffer -- except if I had a choice of 1.5 years of virtual learning versus the insanity were brewing with kids on phones 15 hours a day, virtual learning is comparatively a bump in the road.

If my wife goes back to the classroom in fall, I am buying ~5 UV-C air filters for her room.  That should be standard in every classroom in major cities, minimum.

TLDR, no good answers.  They'll survive though.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »
Common Sense Media reports that 30% of K-12 kids across the country do not have reliable access to internet and devices. They estimate the number of teachers at 10%.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
Common Sense Media reports that 30% of K-12 kids across the country do not have reliable access to internet and devices. They estimate the number of teachers at 10%.

My guess is that data trends rural.  We need to make internet access available in every household in America.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
My guess is that data trends rural.  We need to make internet access available in every household in America.

Agreed. For many years, internet access was appropriately seen as a luxury. But we are now in an age where it is as essential as reliable telephone service.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »
[duplicate post]

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pediatric-group-calls-for-children-to-return-to-schools-despite-coronavirus/ar-BB166PIR

It would be great if we could open schools in September.

First we need to figure out what to do with kids who have high risk parents or grandparents living at home.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 04:01:20 PM »
It would be great if we could open schools in September.

First we need to figure out what to do with kids who have high risk parents or grandparents living at home.

I guess kids with those issues could stay home and insulate themselves and their family from the world.  Hopefully we can virtual learn them if there are viable resources available.  With high risk parents and grandparents living at home in isolation, they should more than easily be able to home school them.  Otherwise they can always wait it out and pick up learning where they left off when they are able to attend class whenever the outside world is considered safe and sound for them and their family.   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:15:21 PM by mufanatic »