collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best decking material for Wisconsin climate  (Read 1840 times)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
Best decking material for Wisconsin climate
« on: June 11, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has firsthand experience with some of the different decking materials available. We've got an old cedar deck that was not kept up when we moved in that we need resurfaced and expanded. We live on the north shore of Milwaukee so we get all the seasons. The deck is partially shaded but only 18" off the ground so there is little airflow to dry out the joists, etc. once they get wet.

I'm interested in a composite or pvc deck due to the supposed ease of upkeep. I've gotten quotes on materials ranging from Trex Transcend, Azek, and Green Bay decking. All are pricey and it seems like historically composites have had a ton of issues.

Has anyone used any of these products in WI? If so, how have they held up? Any regrets or issues? Is the price differential justified or should I bite the bullet and stick with wood and more annual upkeep?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Best decking material for Wisconsin climate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has firsthand experience with some of the different decking materials available. We've got an old cedar deck that was not kept up when we moved in that we need resurfaced and expanded. We live on the north shore of Milwaukee so we get all the seasons. The deck is partially shaded but only 18" off the ground so there is little airflow to dry out the joists, etc. once they get wet.

I'm interested in a composite or pvc deck due to the supposed ease of upkeep. I've gotten quotes on materials ranging from Trex Transcend, Azek, and Green Bay decking. All are pricey and it seems like historically composites have had a ton of issues.

Has anyone used any of these products in WI? If so, how have they held up? Any regrets or issues? Is the price differential justified or should I bite the bullet and stick with wood and more annual upkeep?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Anecdotal, but my parents who live near a lake have composite and have had zero problems with it in 10 years.  A quick powerwash in the spring if its dirty and its good to go.  I've HEARD that there are some products that are essentially a thin layer of composite over wood... and that those are garbage.  Spend money, and don't just buy what is ever cheapest at the Big Box.  Quality is important here.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
I used Trex Transcend decking on a renovation.  Installed in 2017.  No issues whatsoever thus far.  No fading or warping.  Expensive stuff. 
Ludum habemus.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
The only issue we have with our Trex in 2 years is how hot it can get in the sun. (We did not do Trex for the railings and spindles though due to the cost.) Since it sounds like you have shade a composite would work well for you. Not sure how old you are but my first thought for any project these days is how I can make it as maintenance free as possible.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward the Trex Transcend as the contractor quoting is also able to some patio work at the same time and we' ve used him in the past with good results. We have a 4 and 6 year old so anything that diverts my time from them (outside of work) is not a great option.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 07:44:22 AM »
I have a Trex deck here in Connecticut.  5 years and no fading or no warping.  I wash with mold & mildew cleaner every spring.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
For those with Trex decks, did you go with a wood substructure or their Trex Elevations Substructure?  My thinking is if you're worried about long term durability you'd want that Trex substructure but it sure is an increase in the materials cost.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 08:27:09 PM »
My deck is one step high. I went with regular treated wood that sits on the pyramid shape blocks.  Outdoor department at Lowe's said as long as the wood is not touching the ground it will last a long time.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 11:17:19 PM »
Wood.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »
Ipe wood, worth it.

feedback