collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Conference Reshuffling  (Read 4031 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: More Conference Reshuffling
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs. If this stretches on long enough, would they consider cutting their football programs? If that were to happen, would they remain in their current conferences? Or would their conferences want to replace them with football schools and push them out? Could be interesting times ahead.

Not a chance.  Football is where those schools are still bringing in the most money, particularly for media rights. That's one of the primary reasons UConn isn't dropping to FCS - they still get more being in FBS.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs. If this stretches on long enough, would they consider cutting their football programs? If that were to happen, would they remain in their current conferences? Or would their conferences want to replace them with football schools and push them out? Could be interesting times ahead.
Very unlikely any P5 school will give up its football program. What could be possible is a re calibration across all schools of what it means to be a D1 sport . With D1 becoming more like D3 in terms of scholarships .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
I have wondered if the pandemic could lead to some schools parting ways with football programs. Universities are hurting and looking for ways to cut costs. I can't imagine programs like Wake Forest, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc make any sort of profit on their football programs.

Every SEC team received a $43 million payout from their TV deal last year.
Big 12 was $38.8 million.
ACC was $29.5 million.

I have a hard time imaging any of these schools walking away from that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Every SEC team received a $43 million payout from their TV deal last year.
Big 12 was $38.8 million.
ACC was $29.5 million.

I have a hard time imaging any of these schools walking away from that.

When those schools athletic departments plead poverty, it’s laughable
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback