[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Transplants  (Read 4712 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Transplants
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
Hey yall, bored sitting in the hospital and decided to see if anyone on scoop has done a transplant? I donated a kidney yesterday to a friend in need. Quite possibly the worst pain I've ever had, but I think its worth it.

vogue65

• All American
Re: Transplants
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Hey yall, bored sitting in the hospital and decided to see if anyone on scoop has done a transplant? I donated a kidney yesterday to a friend in need. Quite possibly the worst pain I've ever had, but I think its worth it.

God bless you, this too shall pass.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
God bless you, this too shall pass.

I feel very bad for the nurse I puked on three times when we attempted to stand for the first time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »

Huge props. Never done anything like that, but saving a friend’s life is an incredible thing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »
Cheers, unleash.  Good luck with your recoveries.

Gift of life, doesn't get any better than that.  Sign your license if you already haven't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »
You're a true hero, UJ.

I wish both you and your friend great health and happiness for years and years to come.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 11:50:41 PM »

Sign your license if you already haven't.

Absolutely. And also tell your immediate family members, because it can put healthcare providers in a difficult situation if the driver’s license says yes but the family says no because they didn’t hear it from you. Even with full legal permission, providers don’t want to upset families when they are grieving an imminent loss.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 01:00:36 AM »
A friend of mine donated a kidney to her husband last fall. Amazingly, she was the best match for him. Both are doing just fine now. Props to you.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 07:28:14 AM »
I feel very bad for the nurse I puked on three times when we attempted to stand for the first time.

The nurses love you.  They are graced with the love to do what they do.  It is a team effort, keep us posted.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »
Odd anecdote .. ~20 years ago I had a co-worker whose wife was a nurse.

She was adamant that he did NOT put the organ donor sticker on his license.  Her implication was that once learned the patient is an organ donor, they didn't throw hail-mary passes.   -- This, of course, is hard to believe.

Her concept was that the family was the final decider anyhow, and to tell them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 12:40:10 PM »
Odd anecdote .. ~20 years ago I had a co-worker whose wife was a nurse.

She was adamant that he did NOT put the organ donor sticker on his license.  Her implication was that once learned the patient is an organ donor, they didn't throw hail-mary passes.   -- This, of course, is hard to believe.

Her concept was that the family was the final decider anyhow, and to tell them.

I agree – it is very hard to believe. Having been involved in the healthcare field for decades, the team providing care to the patient is independent from the organ procurement team. And doctors and nurses take their duty to the patient very seriously; I can’t imagine the organ procurement team would have any influence on their care decisions.

And FWIW, virtually every doctor I have ever asked intends to donate his or her organs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
And FWIW, virtually every doctor I have ever asked intends to donate his or her organs.

I'm married to an RN. She's willing to donate her pianos and flutes, but not her organs!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »
the ultimate sacrifice, act of kindness and unselfishness; you are more than a friend to the recipient   

i have a sister in-law who was the beneficiary of a kidney about 3 years ago and is doing fantastic!  just curious, what will your limitations be going forward aside from your NFL and boxing career being over?   ;D

is it true that the closer the match, less autoimmune drugs that are needed? 

despite all the squabbles and differences that are aired out on scoop, we do have good people here-thanks!

good on ya unleash
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 06:37:34 AM »
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Days 2 and 3 were definitely more on the "holy balls why did I do this" but day 4 I'm being released from the hospital and starting to feel much better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:06 AM »
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. Days 2 and 3 were definitely more on the "holy balls why did I do this" but day 4 I'm being released from the hospital and starting to feel much better.

Thrilled to hear that, UJ. Hope you're feeling better and better in the coming days.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
Good for you.  May both of you heal well and completely.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »
As the recipient of a kidney transplant, God Bless You.  My brother (the donor) had a much tougher time in the week immediately after surgery than did I, but was pretty much completely fine about two weeks out.

Modern medicine is a miracle.  My grandmother had the same disease as me (polycystic kidney disease) and died at roughly the age of my transplant, as the transplant panels of the day had her very low on the dialysis list due to her age (54), the fact that her children were grown and she was not a breadwinner.  My mother got it also at 54 and was in the hospital recovering for over a month and was unable to work for almost 6.  I got my kidney on a Tuesday, was released from the hospital on Friday and resumed working 20 days after surgery (though from home for the first week).  My younger sister also had a transplant at 54 (there was a three recipient chain, with my cousin donating to someone else who had donor for a third person who had one to give my sister).

Been a little over 3 1/2 years for me and no problems whatsoever.  There's a special place in heaven for you.  Thanks for what you did.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »
the ultimate sacrifice, act of kindness and unselfishness; you are more than a friend to the recipient   

i have a sister in-law who was the beneficiary of a kidney about 3 years ago and is doing fantastic!  just curious, what will your limitations be going forward aside from your NFL and boxing career being over?   ;D

is it true that the closer the match, less autoimmune drugs that are needed? 

despite all the squabbles and differences that are aired out on scoop, we do have good people here-thanks!

good on ya unleash

Pretty much no lifting for 3 months. No contact sports, wear a pad when I do play sports. So I realistically just have to be a bit more careful at pick up basketball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
Only about 5% of transplants are from living donors and are usually from other family members. I mentioned this before in some other thread that my son died from injuries in a car accident and he saved the lives of 7 recipients and improved the quality of life for 6 others. Though it has been 20 years already it seems just like yesterday. When bad things happen to good people, good people can still do good things. My son was only 17 at the time.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
If Wojo did this, Willie would say Wojo only donates the easy organs.

My dad got the benefit of a kidney transplant. 👍👍👍👍

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
I'm married to an RN. She's willing to donate her pianos and flutes, but not her organs!

I hope this is another one of your bad jokes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
Only about 5% of transplants are from living donors and are usually from other family members. I mentioned this before in some other thread that my son died from injuries in a car accident and he saved the lives of 7 recipients and improved the quality of life for 6 others. Though it has been 20 years already it seems just like yesterday. When bad things happen to good people, good people can still do good things. My son was only 17 at the time.

That's awesome, especially for 20 years ago.  Organ donating was so much less common back then.  Tragic that you lose your son, 69.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
I hope this is another one of your bad jokes.

You have a keen sense of humor to go along with being obsessive.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »

God bless you and a speedy recovery

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 10:11:03 PM »
You have a keen sense of humor to go along with being obsessive.

You have no sense of humor and are obsessive with many posters.   Perks of being a blogger, eh?

feedback