[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anonymous Eagle Article  (Read 20473 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Anonymous Eagle Article
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »
Come on, how many players under Crean or Buzz transferred that were actual high calibre solid players and not people playing 2 steps too far up?

And Bailey transferring/going pro is still a player leaving early. It doesn't help the program.

Blankson - UNLV
Mason - LSU
Mbakwe - Minnesota
Christopherson - Iowa State
Bradley - Wichita State
Amoroso - San Diego State
Burton - Iowa State

All went to major or high mid-major programs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 04:16:56 AM »

Blankson - UNLV - mu starter who did absolutely tear it up at unlv to lessor competition. However there's an argument here that he was recruited over at Marquette.

Mason - LSU - probably a good thing he did transfer. He wasn't bad at Marquette but wasn't great. Absolutely awful at LSU.

Mbakwe - Minnesota - you are cheating quite a bit on this one. First he transferred to miama Dade CC out of Marquette. Played 11 games and limited minutes and then had to have surgery. At the same time Marquette had otule. Then we have to consider that while Minnesota is in a high major conference. Are they really a high major team? Once their he didn't do bad by any means. But was still a reserve as a senior on a very weak team.

Christopherson - Iowa State - averaged 1.3 ppg for Marquette in 18 games. Had surgery to start the year. There's a reason he transferred out of Marquette.

Bradley - Wichita State - transferred after sophomore year while being pegged to the bench and clearly recruited over. Do you also consider witchita state a high major now? Then do you believe them to be a high major in 2004?

Amoroso - San Diego State - you may be into something here. At least he was a solid player. Again however, do you really consider San Diego a high major?

Burton - Iowa State - transferred after playing for wojo?

I believe you missed the easiest one in Jamaal McKay

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 05:34:50 AM »
Thank you! You just won the internet today..there's nothing more that needs to be said about this. You know what else Wojo has done in 6 years?? Lost to DePaul 6 times..pathetic
Yet the Wojo lovers turn blind loving eyes away from his mediocre performance.
He be their boy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 05:46:20 AM »
In today's world, they would complain anyway.  Few people are happy and entitlement with fans is endless.  Win a few years, you only set yourself up for even more complaints because fans expect the mountain to be conquered.  My hope is when Wojo leaves we do not have a bunch of you pining for the days of Wojo, but that scenario is entirely possible.  We become a program that goes 10 to 20 years with maybe 2 or 3 appearances.  Today we only settle for a program that makes the NCAA tournament 75% of the time the last four years.  The nerve
I guess I have a lot of nerve. When was Marquette’s last ncaa tourney win? By comparison, how has MU done compared to the U of Dane County Badgers over the past 10 years or so? Also by comparison, and having done no research into it, doesn’t it seem the Badgers have more player continuity YOY?...Kobe King notwithstanding.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 06:21:30 AM »
I’m more concerned with the kids graduating and getting an education.  They’re here to get a degree.  Of course they want to win but it’s also just amateurism.  Playing for the name on the front of the jersey is what matters most beyond the degree.  Student athletes are called that because student comes first.  Proud of Jamal Cain as he works towards his degree.  He has a chance to be another successful alum of Marquette.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 06:23:39 AM »
I’m more concerned with the kids graduating and getting an education.  They’re here to get a degree.  Of course they want to win but it’s also just amateurism.  Playing for the name on the front of the jersey is what matters most beyond the degree.  Student athletes are called that because student comes first.  Proud of Jamal Cain as he works towards his degree.  He has a chance to be another successful alum of Marquette.

There's that mouth again...one day you'll learn..someone's going to fix it for you son.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 06:26:02 AM »
There's that mouth again...one day you'll learn..someone's going to fix it for you son.

I’m terrified.  I probably learned it from the dude on twitter accusing people of murder

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »

Very very very few high d1 athletes (and d1 in general) are concerned about their education.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:57 AM »
In today's world, they would complain anyway.  Few people are happy and entitlement with fans is endless.  Win a few years, you only set yourself up for even more complaints because fans expect the mountain to be conquered.  My hope is when Wojo leaves we do not have a bunch of you pining for the days of Wojo, but that scenario is entirely possible.  We become a program that goes 10 to 20 years with maybe 2 or 3 appearances.  Today we only settle for a program that makes the NCAA tournament 75% of the time the last four years.  The nerve

Keep Wojo, Fire Wojo, don’t matter to me but I guarantee the first time the new coach loses a game, the regular complainers will be here ripping him. 

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 07:00:51 AM »
I guess I have a lot of nerve. When was Marquette’s last ncaa tourney win? By comparison, how has MU done compared to the U of Dane County Badgers over the past 10 years or so? Also by comparison, and having done no research into it, doesn’t it seem the Badgers have more player continuity YOY?...Kobe King notwithstanding.

Just in the last 3 years, Madison had these transfers: Jordan Hill. Kobe King, Andy Can Vliet, Alex Illikaninen and Tai Strickland. They also had a player quit but that might have been 4 or 5 years ago.

Most schools have at least two players leave early every year whether it is transferring, declaring early or quitting. MU is no worse or no better than most schools.

If AE was insinuated that players leaving shows there's an internal problem his premise is way off. If there's a problem, it will manifest itself on not only how many leave but who comes in. In the past 3 years we got 3 solid and highly sought after transfers and 1 very good recruiting class and we'll see with the 21 kids.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:08 AM »
What amazes me is the people that are projos don't seem to grasp one simple concept...if Wojo himself or the projo's want the nojos to stop "complaining", it's really very easily fixable...win...more..games. I know, hard to imagine it's really that simple, isn't it?? That's all that has to happen, and all of this would go away(thankfully).

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 07:06:13 AM »
Just in the last 3 years, Madison had these transfers: Jordan Hill. Kobe King, Andy Can Vliet, Alex Illikaninen and Tai Strickland. They also had a player quit but that might have been 4 or 5 years ago.

Most schools have at least two players leave early every year whether it is transferring, declaring early or quitting. MU is no worse or no better than most schools.

If AE was insinuated that players leaving shows there's an internal problem his premise is way off. If there's a problem, it will manifest itself on not only how many leave but who comes in. In the past 3 years we got 3 solid and highly sought after transfers and 1 very good recruiting class and we'll see with the 21 kids.

That's just it...transfers happen everywhere, MU is no different, and to me it's all about who you're bringing in to replace said transfer. If you're upgrading the talent, then it SHOULD actually be beneficial. The problem comes in when you aren't upgrading the talent or it's staying relatively the same.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 07:08:48 AM »

The issue is that Wojo and the administration plumage put an emphasis on high school recruiting.

The transfers itself aren’t the overall problem, but it does feel like a one foot in one foot out approach to recruiting. He wants high school guys to develop, but when a couple inevitably transfer, he needs to pivot quickly and find a stop gap transfer.

The high school players who stay, have not yet developed into all conference performers, aside from Markus.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »

There’s the rub.  It’s an issue across the college basketball landscape but I read this article as a criticism of the staff and their response/results.  AE got some people pointing out that all schools have transfers but as he pointed out, many of those schools keep winning.  Someone pointed out Oregon but he responded the Ducks have averaged 23 wins over the last 5 years and have a Final 4.  Losing transfers is just an excuse.  Everyone is dealing with them.  You have to figure out how to win in spite of them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 07:09:49 AM »

Rico

If we were Holy Cross and played in the Patriot League I would agree. We don’t, so I’ll take recruits like D Wade over the Jamal Cains of the world.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 07:16:35 AM »
Rico

If we were Holy Cross and played in the Patriot League I would agree. We don’t, so I’ll take recruits like D Wade over the Jamal Cains of the world.

Oh, I agree.  My bigger point is, it’s time to cut the BS and quit the pretense of amateurism and the student athlete.  Louisville fans ain’t giving back that 2013 title no matter what the NCAA says. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
This is going to be a year without any transfers out.    Two transfers coming in.   Eligibility TBD.    An odd time to do a piece about transfers under Wojo. 

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
I put transfers pretty far down on my list of concerns I have about Wojo.  Transfers could be dealt with if I thought he was a better in-game coach. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 07:52:23 AM »
I put transfers pretty far down on my list of concerns I have about Wojo.  Transfers could be dealt with if I thought he was a better in-game coach.

Lack of player development is exposed when guys transfer. That’s the issue.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Lack of player development is exposed when guys transfer. That’s the issue.

I just don't buy the player development issue.  Players have certainly developed under Wojo.  Not everyone has developed at the same rate or to the same level, but Markus Howard became an All American.  Sacar Anim became a solid starter. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
Oh, I agree.  My bigger point is, it’s time to cut the BS and quit the pretense of amateurism and the student athlete.  Louisville fans ain’t giving back that 2013 title no matter what the NCAA says.

Okay Rico, I'm going to TRY to take a civilized approach here with you, and try to get you to divulge the REAL reasons behind why you're so determined to pick this hill to die on?? What confounds me about your strong views on this is I'm guessing you have never talked to or asked a D1 football player or basketball player their views on this topic. Admittedly, I haven't either. But I read enough things, to know, it sure seems ot me like you have this view on it that even the student athletes themselves don't have. The question is...why?? Is it that you don't like rich people(Coaches, administrators etc)?? Is it because the NCAA some how wronged you personally at some point?? Do you not like that they punish schools enough for things?? What is it, what is your underlying reason here?? It baffles me that someone would take such a strong stance on this that even the athletes themselves don't have.

This is semi related, but I don't know if you read the post the other day from the athletic talking about the one time transfer rule..Dana O' Neill got quotes from several players about it and the basis for the article was really Sam Hauser. Every one of the players she talked to, thought that sitting out was actually a good thing, and Sam himself even said that even had he been able to play right away, he would have sat out anyway.

I'm sure you understand that no one makes these kids go to college..they have other options, yet they still choose to do it, and doesn't it make sense that if they really thought it was so bad, they simply wouldn't do it??

I'm really interested to hear why you feel as strongly as you do(and you aren't the only one that does)..because it just seems odd, that you seemingly care so much and feel so strongly about something that the people effected by it directly don't even care that much about it...they just do what they do.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 08:08:54 AM »

I just don't buy the player development issue.  Players have certainly developed under Wojo.  Not everyone has developed at the same rate or to the same level, but Markus Howard became an All American.  Sacar Anim became a solid starter.

There are very few coaches in college any good at player development nowadays, anyway.  Also, some guys peak as sophomores, some as seniors.  Sometimes, it’s the player is what he or she is

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
Okay Rico, I'm going to TRY to take a civilized approach here with you, and try to get you to divulge the REAL reasons behind why you're so determined to pick this hill to die on?? What confounds me about your strong views on this is I'm guessing you have never talked to or asked a D1 football player or basketball player their views on this topic. Admittedly, I haven't either. But I read enough things, to know, it sure seems ot me like you have this view on it that even the student athletes themselves don't have. The question is...why?? Is it that you don't like rich people(Coaches, administrators etc)?? Is it because the NCAA some how wronged you personally at some point?? Do you not like that they punish schools enough for things?? What is it, what is your underlying reason here?? It baffles me that someone would take such a strong stance on this that even the athletes themselves don't have.

This is semi related, but I don't know if you read the post the other day from the athletic talking about the one time transfer rule..Dana O' Neill got quotes from several players about it and the basis for the article was really Sam Hauser. Every one of the players she talked to, thought that sitting out was actually a good thing, and Sam himself even said that even had he been able to play right away, he would have sat out anyway.

I'm sure you understand that no one makes these kids go to college..they have other options, yet they still choose to do it, and doesn't it make sense that if they really thought it was so bad, they simply wouldn't do it??

I'm really interested to hear why you feel as strongly as you do(and you aren't the only one that does)..because it just seems odd, that you seemingly care so much and feel so strongly about something that the people effected by it directly don't even care that much about it...they just do what they do.

No one protects college basketball coaches quite like college basketball writers

muguru

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »

No one protects college basketball coaches quite like college basketball writers

Alright, it's obvious trying to be civil with you is getting me nowhere..so i'm done. You continue to be obtuse, a total smart ass, and seemingly afraid to divulge your reasons for thinking the way you do. It's obviously one of those things where as you'd say "you just are" without having any real basis for feeling that way. That's fine, that's your choice I guess. Can't say I didn't try.  ?-(

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
Concerns about Wojo:     Scheme.   In game adjustments.     

Not concerns about Wojo:   Player development, transfers. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.