[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you going to appreciate?  (Read 3145 times)

tower912

• All American
What are you going to appreciate?
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »
My son's school organized a can drive today.  (Michigan, 10 cent deposit)    Turnout was probably 10x what they were anticipating.    Had the opportunity to visit with some of the other parents from his school.    All masked.     Catching up.     And I realized that this is one of the things I am going to have to remind myself to appreciate when things start their long return to 'normal.'     As I was driving home, I started thinking about the simple things I had taken for granted that I will try to remember to appreciate in the future.   
1.   Cookouts with friends.    A beer with a neighbor. 
2.   Family gatherings
3.   Sunlight and wind on my maskless face.
4.   The simple conversations about simple things that don't devolve into a discussion of the virus. 
5.   Driving to Lake Michigan for a sunset. 
6.   Already been reminded to not take golf for granted.   
7.   Baseball on a summer day.   
8.   Going to a bar to catch a band.   
9.   Bantering with a waitress.   
10.  Out of town trips. 
11.  A decent haircut, neck shave, scalp massage. 

There is much good in the world.    And much good in simple things.    When we are able, I hope we all remember to appreciate the good.    And remember, instead of getting frustrated easily, or losing our temper with others, remember that there are far worse things than slow service, long lines, annoying relatives.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:05:07 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: What are you going to appreciate?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
Lots of angry people having their traditional outlets back.  Kidding. 

For me getting on an airplane to see family, hugging an older relative, live sports in a packed stadium and a beer at our local bar on a cold evening. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
Beer at the bar/brewery, ordering Food that my GF and I spend hours Cooking to make for the same quality. Traveling. Sports
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
The look on a 3 year old's face when, while on a walk with his mother and little sister in a stroller, gets to stop in the fire station.   And I let him climb on a FIRE TRUCK!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
Outstanding list, Tower.

I miss the crowds at Brewers games and at Summerfest. Talking to those sitting around me about baseball or music or life.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:34:41 AM »
Live music
Watching my kids play sports
Visiting tap rooms
Not wearing a mask in public
Seeing my colleagues in person (some of them, at least)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
Pickup basketball, going out to eat, and sports.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
Pickup basketball, going out to eat, and sports.

Oh, that's a great one. Definitely looking forward to getting back to my weekly old man games.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Watching scoop melt down after Wojo wins a buy game by only 15.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »
Good stuff tower, and others.

We have been trying to fill the void with virtual happy hours (usually with our grown kids in Seattle and Chicago) and also by having other couples over for "social distancing" firepit sessions.

Indeed, we are having a couple over tonight. They are picking up food we've ordered from a local restaurant and bringing it to our house. We will sit around the firepit with me and my wife on one side and the other couple on the opposite side. We will enjoy our take-out food and some beverages, and mostly enjoy each other's company. This particular couple is one we usually socialize with every month or two but haven't seen since late last year, so it will be nice to get together with them.

But yes, I appreciate many of the things already mentioned and look forward to the simple pleasures, like going to our favorite brewery, going to see bands, flying to visit our kids and grand-twins, etc.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
Travel and sports are the big ones for me. 

I miss having a basketball game or a soccer match on as background when cleaning or lounging or working at night.

The travel has hit me more acutely. I’m not the George Clooney “Up in the Air” neurotic consultant traveller, but flying 125K miles a year, I don’t know many people as suited and comfortable with long haul travel as I am.  And there are little things that serve as almost “settling” points when you’re frazzled on a trip that I find myself missing, almost fondly.

-the preroll ads on United flights before movies. There was a Stanley Tucci one for a cyber security company for awhile, and more recently it’s been Marriott’s ad, that are calmly and a subtle trigger to say “you made it, you’re locked in, relax, all good”.

-the beep whir noise/music of BBC News coming back from break. Reminds me of being in Asia, unable to sleep past 5AM, in a hotel gym with BBC on in the background cause it’s one of 2-3 English language stations I know I can find

-I could rattle of a bunch of other little things, but I’ve been going to HK a minimum of 3 times a year since 2015 and I’ve not been there in over a year. It’s a weird sort of melancholy for a place you become so accustomed to.

My GF and I went to Malta and Greece last year on kind of a frenetic trip that stemmed from us planning destinations and booking hotels without fully processing flight itineraries. Was very much looking forward to getting another shot and planning better to a pool of destinations we were considered this summer. That sucks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 11:21:55 PM »
Simple things:

Going to my favorite local coffee place and chatting with the baristas and other regular customers.

Going to a full restaurant on a busy weekend night.

Not having to worry that the grocery store is out of staples like tomato sauce or flour.

Being able to travel to see my daughters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 03:26:11 AM »
Outdoor fookin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
Being able to go to the funeral of a friend.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
I am looking forward to getting on a plane and getting back to China and Vietnam. I have always appreciated being self employed, but there have been times I treaded going to Asia for work. Sadly, aside from golf and being a fan to certain teams/sports, I have realized work is my favorite hobby.

That said, really going to enjoy a round of golf with my sons at great golf course and will not care how I play. Hopefully followed by cocktails in the clubhouse and talking trash

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »
The conversation makes the round.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Outdoor fookin', hey?

How often u dooin' dis dese daze, oona?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
My wife insists on it, hey?