Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Title IX changes  (Read 1903 times)

jesmu84

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Title IX changes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:41 PM »
If you read the underlying ESPN article it lays it out pretty clearly. This has to do with reporting and investigating sexual assault on campus, who is required to report it, and the process used to determine if the accused is at fault.

It’s a tad sensationalistic. But my guess is that most schools will continue with almost all employees being mandatory reporters. Including coaches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
Ask TAMU he knows
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
It’s a tad sensationalistic. But my guess is that most schools will continue with almost all employees being mandatory reporters. Including coaches.

This is correct. The Department of Education may no longer require coaches to be mandatory reporters (the new regs have a very narrow definition of who is a mandatory reporter) but the regs don't prohibit universities from having university polices that make most employees (including coaches) mandatory reporters. At this point, I'd estimate the 95%+ of universities have such a policy on the books already. I doubt many will rescind those policies. Plus, many states passed laws making most university employees mandatory reporters. Texas passed such a law last September. Other than a few exceptions, any university employee in Texas who is found to have failed to report is required to be terminated and can face fines and even jail time.

I've always had mixed feelings about mandatory reporter rules. On one hand, they are good tools for holding employees who participate in a cover up accountable. On the other hand, I think victim-survivors should have more control over who their information is shared with. A student who was sexually assaulted may tell their RA or their academic advisor, or a faculty mentor, just looking for advice, then all of the sudden the university is contacting them because the person they told was a mandatory reporter and they didn't even realize it. Personally, I would keep most employees as mandatory reporters, but increase the amount of confidential reporters on campus and advertise the crap out of who those people are.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:00:16 AM »
Some schools will allow you to report that someone told them they were an alleged victim, but you do not have to give their name unless they would like to persue an investigation.  I have mixed feelings about that as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Great news for Tom Izzo and the Michigan State athletic department
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorDad

• All American
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato