[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230253 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #975 on: February 24, 2021, 11:53:23 AM »
2 weeks later, with no new developments, to continue a tangent that has basically nothing to do with the thread? Rocket my man...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #976 on: February 24, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
me too!  just a continuation of the the big "MSM" disinformation campaign to maintain control of the "unwashed".   if the orange dude had a 10' razor wired wall around our house with 10's of thousands of the military and police(they want to re imagine btw)i can predict the vitriol flying.  we continue to get one story which stokes the masses only to be slowly walked down at best, forgotten but not corrected at worst and  i call this "boiling the frog"  who's the dicktator now?  oh, and it's 2 masks please and don't bother doing any Christmas shopping just yet.  maybe a new apple for junior to keep up with the indoctrination classes.  hey, this was too easy.  what will the next "crisis" be?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #977 on: February 24, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »
You are adorable, rocket.    Thanks for the chuckle.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #978 on: February 24, 2021, 02:40:28 PM »
North Carolina, which has been open for most businesses since Memorial Day, is now ready to let bars, outdoor music venues and others open starting Friday. There will be capacity limitations, mask requirements, etc.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article249433030.html?ac_cid=DM392727&ac_bid=-447128105

I hope it's not too much too soon. The science on bars being super-spreader venues is pretty solid, but our governor and his science people have been very cautious and data-driven. So I tend to think it they say this is OK, it probably is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #979 on: February 25, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
Senate Budget Hearing. Costco CEO is asked to testify, and, while there, agrees to raise starting wage at Costco to $16 an hour beginning next week. (Avg worker there makes $24/hr) They are the 2nd largest retailer with 180,000 employees.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #980 on: February 25, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
Arguing with Senator G while he does it.  Arguing the impact of the minimum wage on the employee rather than the employer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #981 on: February 25, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
Arguing with Senator G while he does it.  Arguing the impact of the minimum wage on the employee rather than the employer.

Federal minimum wage needs to go up.  Not sure it needs to double to $15 but anything under $10-11 is insane.

It’s a tricky topic for sure.  Folks like Costco, Amazon, and all those huuuge Fortune 500 companies can take on a giant increase to minimum wage overnight.  Same can’t be said for the typical Ma and Pa shop who are coming out of one of the toughest years they’ve probably had to endure ever.  Personally I’d hate to see such a quick drastic change to minimum wage that would inevitably lead to a quicker and more drastic shift towards big box stores and national brands.  The competitive playing field is already tipped in their favor and a drastic overnight change to minimum wage requirements would only expedite that imo.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #982 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48:58 PM »
Federal minimum wage needs to go up.  Not sure it needs to double to $15 but anything under $10-11 is insane.

It’s a tricky topic for sure.  Folks like Costco, Amazon, and all those huuuge Fortune 500 companies can take on a giant increase to minimum wage overnight.  Same can’t be said for the typical Ma and Pa shop who are coming out of one of the toughest years they’ve probably had to endure ever.  Personally I’d hate to see such a quick drastic change to minimum wage that would inevitably lead to a quicker and more drastic shift towards big box stores and national brands.  The competitive playing field is already tipped in their favor and a drastic overnight change to minimum wage requirements would only expedite that imo.

I think the real problem is that minimum wage has to be voted on to raise at all.  It should absolutely be tied to cost of living, and should increase annually with inflation rates.  Another issue is federally mandating a wage across the US where living costs are very broad.  South Dakota isn't California.  If I were to write the legislation, I'd require states to each have their own minimum wage and base it on the cost of living in the largest city in the state.  Boom, done.  Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, but let's not make perfect the enemy of good.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #983 on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
I think the real problem is that minimum wage has to be voted on to raise at all.  It should absolutely be tied to cost of living, and should increase annually with inflation rates.  Another issue is federally mandating a wage across the US where living costs are very broad.  South Dakota isn't California.  If I were to write the legislation, I'd require states to each have their own minimum wage and base it on the cost of living in the largest city in the state.  Boom, done.  Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, but let's not make perfect the enemy of good.

+1 COL needs to be the main driver for minimum wage.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #984 on: February 25, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »
"Quick drastic change".....isn't it.

It's long overdue. Minimum living wage.

A few Senators have been saying similar things about when they were a kid, blah blah blah. Well let's take a look:

In 1977 United States Senators were paid $44,600 a year. Today it is $174,000. How many Senators would be Senators with that pay today? Why is it okay for Senator's pay to adjust but not some others?

In 1977 movies cost $2.33, gas cost $0.68. ($9.26, and $2.72 today)

$6 in 1977 would be roughly $24 today.

If you can't pay a minimum living wage (spoiler alert they can) then you don't belong in business.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #985 on: February 25, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »
For crying out loud, even Scoop can come to a bipartisan consensus on this.  This isn't hard.

Connecticut already passed the $15 min 2 years ago. 
There's exemptions (a different min) for summer jobs and short time jobs under a certain amount of months.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #986 on: February 25, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »
Its really interesting that everyone has found out that the fiscal issues that Republicans have touted for decades really aren't popular with a lot of people any longer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #987 on: February 25, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »
For crying out loud, even Scoop can come to a bipartisan consensus on this.  This isn't hard.

There's exemptions (a different min) for summer jobs and short time jobs under a certain amount of months.

Scoop for Congress/Senate!

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #988 on: February 25, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »
"Quick drastic change".....isn't it.

It's long overdue. Minimum living wage.

A few Senators have been saying similar things about when they were a kid, blah blah blah. Well let's take a look:

In 1977 United States Senators were paid $44,600 a year. Today it is $174,000. How many Senators would be Senators with that pay today? Why is it okay for Senator's pay to adjust but not some others?

In 1977 movies cost $2.33, gas cost $0.68. ($9.26, and $2.72 today)

$6 in 1977 would be roughly $24 today.

If you can't pay a minimum living wage (spoiler alert they can) then you don't belong in business.

“Living wage” is obviously very different from state to state which is why a federal floor of $10-11 should help state’s bump their state minimums up to around $12-13 in some states and $15+ in the higher cost to live areas of the country.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #989 on: February 25, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »
Its really interesting that everyone has found out that the fiscal issues that Republicans have touted for decades really aren't popular with a lot of people any longer.

Which is how we got Trump.  Establishment republican ideas and the dinosaurs who still support them should no longer be considered the bedrock principles if you’re right of center.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #990 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »
“Living wage” is obviously very different from state to state which is why a federal floor of $10-11 should help state’s bump their state minimums up to around $12-13 in some states and $15+ in the higher cost to live areas of the country.

Your floor is too low.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #991 on: February 25, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »
Your floor is too low.

Probably but I think it’s most realistic to get passed and if you value CBO input at $10 it would lead to minimal if any loss of jobs and at $15 you’re looking at 1.5 million loss jobs as a result of that “drastic” increase

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #992 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:07 PM »
Probably but I think it’s most realistic to get passed and if you value CBO input at $10 it would lead to minimal if any loss of jobs and at $15 you’re looking at 1.5 million loss jobs as a result of that “drastic” increase

Higher than $15.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #993 on: February 25, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »

and that's where it should be debated and put to a vote-individual states decide for themselves as $10-15 value in conneticut is different from iowa for example.  but still should be up to each individual business
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #994 on: February 25, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
and that's where it should be debated and put to a vote-individual states decide for themselves as $10-15 value in conneticut is different from iowa for example.  but still should be up to each individual business

So should it be up for a vote by state or put to the businesses.  Those are two very different ideas.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #995 on: February 25, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »

Given the incredibly low federal minimum wage, the decision with has effectively been with the states for a long time. It hasn’t worked well. If we go even further and let it go to individual businesses, it would likely be even lower.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #996 on: February 26, 2021, 12:35:29 AM »

Given the incredibly low federal minimum wage, the decision with has effectively been with the states for a long time. It hasn’t worked well. If we go even further and let it go to individual businesses, it would likely be even lower.

very commonly you will find small business paying more than minimum wage because they appreciate good hard working people and realize the cost of finding a replacement. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #997 on: February 26, 2021, 05:42:38 AM »
very commonly you will find small business paying more than minimum wage because they appreciate good hard working people and realize the cost of finding a replacement.

Source?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #998 on: February 26, 2021, 06:04:05 AM »

The $15 proposed minimum wage raise is phased, it wouldn't be immediate.  We're talking years.  And if your business can't accommodate those new costs or pass them on to the customer, then maybe its fine to close your doors.

States need a reason to vote on it or set it themselves... otherwise you're just advocating for the current system.  Which I assure you, is not working.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #999 on: February 26, 2021, 06:54:12 AM »
The $15 proposed minimum wage raise is phased, it wouldn't be immediate.  We're talking years.  And if your business can't accommodate those new costs or pass them on to the customer, then maybe its fine to close your doors.

States need a reason to vote on it or set it themselves... otherwise you're just advocating for the current system.  Which I assure you, is not working.

you "assure me, it's not working"?  ok, assure me

the minimum wage jobs are meant to be entry level positions, not necessarily provide for a family of four.  the way to move up is education, which we already throw a $hit ton of money into, show up for you job, take it seriously, be a good person, watch for better positions, apply for them rinse wash repeat.  the weird thing is, many small businesses already pay more than min to the employees they value and want to keep.  the big businesses may be the ones who drag their feet, but same applies.  they pay the people they want to keep and move up.  the ones who demand the $15/hr or more, are usually your worst employees.  you know the good ones when ya see them