[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL  (Read 21788 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
New lawsuit filed.  Seeking damages for NIL use and to turn it into a class action suit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/06/15/ncaa-lawsuit-over-athletes-images-likeness-puts-big-money-stake/3189283001/

"The suit, which seeks to be a class action, not only asks that the NCAA be prevented from having association-wide rules that “restrict the amount of name, image, and likeness compensation available” to athletes but also seeks unspecified damages based on the share of television-rights money and the social media earnings it claims athletes would have received if the NCAA’s current limits on NIL compensation had not existed.

This has the potential to put, conservatively, hundreds of millions of dollars at stake. As allowed under federal antitrust law, the suit seeks to cover athletes who played in any of the past four years and carry forward through the date of a final judgment. In addition, if a jury decides to award damages to an antitrust plaintiff, the amount is tripled."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
Outstanding op-ed piece by former Bears offensive coordinator John Shoop and his wife Marcia, a pastor at a Presbyterian church in Asheville.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article243510427.html?

Talks about the hypocrisy of top-level university officials who oppose NIL, and talks about the link between the NIL issue and racial inequality.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2020, 12:08:44 PM »
It honestly may be time for colleges to get out of sports all together.   Scholarships for athletes (white or black) were intended to give a great opportunity to those who received it.  Whether anyone likes it or not or sees it or not that is of huge value to individuals and entire populations (generations) who take advantage of it.  The little money college players will make with NIL will not make racism go away nor will it level the playing field.  However, education can eventually level the playing field. 

In order to be truly fair to college athletes (who play in revenue sharing sports) you would have to have some type of revenue split with university and student athlete.  At that point it just may not be worth it for Universities to continue offering sports.  This will lead to less scholarships for people who need it.

Tearing down current college models of student athletes could actually back fire on those who need the help the most.   We’ll know more soon enough.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »
It honestly may be time for colleges to get out of sports all together.   Scholarships for athletes (white or black) were intended to give a great opportunity to those who received it.  Whether anyone likes it or not or sees it or not that is of huge value to individuals and entire populations (generations) who take advantage of it.  The little money college players will make with NIL will not make racism go away nor will it level the playing field.  However, education can eventually level the playing field. 

In order to be truly fair to college athletes (who play in revenue sharing sports) you would have to have some type of revenue split with university and student athlete.  At that point it just may not be worth it for Universities to continue offering sports.  This will lead to less scholarships for people who need it.

Tearing down current college models of student athletes could actually back fire on those who need the help the most.   We’ll know more soon enough.
Yep, people need to be careful about what they wish.  Change is not always beneficial and sometimes brings about unintended consequences.

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
Yep, people need to be careful about what they wish.  Change is not always beneficial and sometimes brings about unintended consequences.

Or maybe fighting and slow-rolling the change, thinking that the status quo was going to remain no matter how much the world around them was changing, is the problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »

Or maybe fighting and slow-rolling the change, thinking that the status quo was going to remain no matter how much the world around them was changing, is the problem.

+1

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »

I’m not saying to slow roll it or stop it but the real and most valuable reward is smacking people in the face and seemingly ignored.  That scholarship is gold. Only Pro level athletes will continually reap benefits from athletics into there thirties.  The peanuts that NIL will give college level athletes will feed their families for a couple years and then what?   

Take college seriously and generations Of family members can benefit. Going to college for short term endorsements from NIL seems shortsighted and should not be the emphasis of athletes who are not at a pro level (The overwhelming majority). If it is, they and their families (white or black) are to blame for being held back in society.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
....or we can continue to offer athletic scholarships, not pay players, and allow outside entities to pay them for their NIL if they are good enough to earn it. This really isn't a doomsday scenario like some seem to think it is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »
....or we can continue to offer athletic scholarships, not pay players, and allow outside entities to pay them for their NIL if they are good enough to earn it. This really isn't a doomsday scenario like some seem to think it is.

Exactly.  This is really something that is pretty simple that people are trying to make complex.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be regulations around this, but it's not really all that hard to figure out.

And like I said earlier, they had time to figure this out.  They should have realized with the O'Bannon case that public opinion was eventually going to turn the other way.  And they buried their head in the sand further. 

Then the states got involved, and the NCAAs initial response was "well, we will kick them out then."  It was nonsensical at the time and looks even more foolish in retrospect. 

Any forward looking organization should have seen where this was going and planned accordingly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:10:36 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »

Agreed TAMU but for eventual racial inequality to end 99.9 percent of the emphasis needs to be the educational opportunity being given not NIL opportunities that schools and fan bases can offer.

Like I said I don’t mind athletes getting paid but if that is the players and parents motivation and not education I think it may hurt racial inequality more than help it.   

I was merely commenting on the article above.  I just don’t think NIL has anything to do with uplifting society. Temporary fairness for the college athlete, maybe.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »

Yessir.

And that almost certainly IS what's going to happen. So pining for something else, that isn't going to happen, seems like wasted energy.

I was merely commenting on the article above.  I just don’t think NIL has anything to do with uplifting society. Temporary fairness for the college athlete, maybe.

We'll respectfully disagree. IMHO, letting those most responsible for the multibillion-dollar industry capitalize on their own NIL, would mean something as we slowly lurch toward some semblance of racial equality. I'm not saying it "solves" things, nor are the authors of that article. I am agreeing with the authors that refusal to allow it further erodes things, though.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »
Where does the money come from to pay the players? Same advertising pool that pays athletic departments? NIL will not create new revenues for State Farm or the local Ford dealership.

Maybe we cut coaches and AD's salaries or maybe non-revenue sports.

NIL maybe the right to do but it is simply moving money from one pocket to the other.

panda

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
Where does the money come from to pay the players? Same advertising pool that pays athletic departments? NIL will not create new revenues for State Farm or the local Ford dealership.

NIL maybe the right to do but it is simply moving money from one pocket to the other.

Outside advertisers? This isn’t complicated people, it’s happening in literally every other major sport across the world.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »

Don’t disagree about that part of it all.  But, we are where we are.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »

I'm not sure I said otherwise.

That being said, I'm not sure why your examples are Start Farm and Ford. Apparel companies I understand some money will shift from the schools to the athletes, though I don't think it will be as much as you seem to be implying. But I'm not sure what advertising money schools are currently receiving from State Farm or Ford. Are you saying that rather than donating to schools they will instead pay athletes to advertise for them?

Also, while a lot of this will be "moving money from one pocket to another" it will also open up previously closed avenues for athletes to make money. Athletes can use their name to become influencers on social media, they can use their experience to teach skills camps or give private coaching during the summer, this could open the door for video games based on college sports. These are a few examples of potential benefits that won't move money away from the schools. The video games could even make money for the schools as the producers will still need to pay the schools for the right to include them in the games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:23:54 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
Outside advertisers? This isn’t complicated people, it’s happening in literally every other major sport across the world.
Of course advertisers. This isn't that complicated people, NIL doesn't create more money, it just moves it to the players and thus away from the athletic departments.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »
Of course advertisers. This isn't that complicated people, NIL doesn't create more money, it just moves it to the players and thus away from the athletic departments.

Why wouldn't it create more money?  TAMU outlined potential ways that "new" money could exist above. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »

But it also allows money that previously wasn't going to either the athletic department or the player to go to the player.
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2020, 02:47:54 PM »
I'm not sure I said otherwise.

That being said, I'm not sure why your examples are Start Farm and Ford. Apparel companies I understand some money will shift from the schools to the athletes, though I don't think it will be as much as you seem to be implying. But I'm not sure what advertising money schools are currently receiving from State Farm or Ford. Are you saying that rather than donating to schools they will instead pay athletes to advertise for them?

Also, while a lot of this will be "moving money from one pocket to another" it will also open up previously closed avenues for athletes to make money. Athletes can use their name to become influencers on social media, they can use their experience to teach skills camps or give private coaching during the summer, this could open the door for video games based on college sports. These are a few examples of potential benefits that won't move money away from the schools. The video games could even make money for the schools as the producers will still need to pay the schools for the right to include them in the games.
You make some good points in the last paragraph, I was focused on the big money corporate advertisers. (Ford & State Farm were random names). That money will move from the schools to the players. (Be it lower direct advertising at a school or lower advertising funds to the broadcasters, which will have a trickle down effect to the schools).

You are correct, I (we) don't know how much of an effect this will have on the athletic departments. It is entirely possible this is a bunch of hand wringing for nothing if the players only make a few thousand dollars, but we do know it won't help the athletic departments. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »

This
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
The thing is, while NIL may hit the colleges' coffers a bit, it will also lead to the ability to retain more players. It will give them the financial ability to provide offers to keep the RJ Hampton, Lamelo Ball, Jalen Green types. But also to retain any fringe NBA or Europe types like Vander Blue or Brendan Bailey.

NIL will almost certainly increase the talent level and player retention ability.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »
Agreed TAMU but for eventual racial inequality to end 99.9 percent of the emphasis needs to be the educational opportunity being given not NIL opportunities that schools and fan bases can offer.

Like I said I don’t mind athletes getting paid but if that is the players and parents motivation and not education I think it may hurt racial inequality more than help it.   

In a more perfect society, you would be 100% correct. But a good percentage of these athletes are in college not for an education, but because colleges are the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA.

As far as education, few of these athletes are getting a top notch education. The goal of coaches is to keep guys eligible so they can play - hence, they will steer them into easy, mostly meaningless classes. In fact, a lot of coaches are incentivized to do exactly that, as they receive large bonuses based on GPA averages of their player groups.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »
New lawsuit against the NCAA and the Power 5. This is major, major shyte.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/06/15/ncaa-lawsuit-over-athletes-images-likeness-puts-big-money-stake/3189283001/

Between this kind of stuff, and the new legislation passed in Florida that compensates athletes for NIL starting only 13 months from now, NCAA leaders need to stop whining, posing and pretending, and start crafting a plan that will pass the muster.

NCAA basketball and football without Florida and California schools would be quite a product to try to market to the networks, and numerous other states also are ready to rock and roll with NIL plans.

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2020, 02:33:46 PM »
I think they need to create another blue ribbon panel. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »
New lawsuit against the NCAA and the Power 5. This is major, major shyte.

Between this kind of stuff, and the new legislation passed in Florida that compensates athletes for NIL starting only 13 months from now, NCAA leaders need to stop whining, posing and pretending, and start crafting a plan that will pass the muster.

NCAA basketball and football without Florida and California schools would be quite a product to try to market to the networks, and numerous other states also are ready to rock and roll with NIL plans.
They aren't the only ones who need to stop whining.

Pot meet kettle.

feedback