'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL  (Read 21798 times)

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: NCAA moving towards allowing NIL
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
Huh
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
"The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption."

What could go wrong with this?  Oh...and corruption???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:16 PM »
"The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption."

What could go wrong with this?  Oh...and corruption???

it would be up to the individual schools to set standards, evaluate, and report deals on a frequent basis.

The fact so many people think everything is done in Indy is mindblowing.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »
Yes but they still need to "report deals on a frequent basis."  To Indianapolis.  For review.  To spot "corruption."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 05:11:48 PM »
it would be up to the individual schools to set standards, evaluate, and report deals on a frequent basis.

The fact so many people think everything is done in Indy is mindblowing.

What is mind blowing is the self reporting part.  No wonder so many schools cheat.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:40 PM »
What is mind blowing is the self reporting part.  No wonder so many schools cheat.

if you don't self report the penalty is that much harsher.

Yes but they still need to "report deals on a frequent basis."  To Indianapolis.  For review.  To spot "corruption."

Only if there is cause for concern. Compliance is done at the school level. Any deals would go through the compliance office for review. When I say "report deals on a frequent basis" it's the responsibility of the department to set policies for review. I've been working on the NIL concepts for the last month, we're making sure strict reporting requirements and oversight are in there, including how to prevent boosters from being involved in deals.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
I will be happy to see players compensated for their extremely hard work.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »
This is great

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/6/9/21285229/ncaa-athletic-directors-name-image-likeness-petard-hoisting-championships

"A smart organization would have been prepared for that possibility and built a plan for “if NIL becomes a thing, here’s how we can make it work.” Not out of moral obligation, necessarily, but as a matter of risk management. A smart organization might have started that plan after Ed O’Bannon filed a federal lawsuit against the NCAA related to his name, image, and likeness rights in 2009, or when EA Sports got out of the lawsuit in May 2014 by settling with the players for $40 million, or when the trial judge found in favor of the O’Bannon plaintiffs in August 2014. Even if every college president, athletic director, and conference commissioner thought athlete-controlled NIL rights would destroy the amateur athletic model, the smart thing to do would have been to plan for that possible future, right?

But instead of that, Kevin, y’all decided to hold the line in the media and threaten to bar California schools from NCAA events and ask Congress to fix your problems for you. Given years to prepare for what you and many of your colleagues see as a major challenge, you did ... well, nothing.

So now, yes, your job, and the NCAA’s, is very hard. And, again, I’m sorry. 2014 you should have made better choices."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »
This is great

https://www.bannersociety.com/2020/6/9/21285229/ncaa-athletic-directors-name-image-likeness-petard-hoisting-championships

That was petty, immature and poorly argued. There has to be better champions for NIL that some random blogger who clearly hates the NCAA and, more precisely, the member schools who make the rules.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
This is great

"A smart organization would have been prepared for that possibility and built a plan for “if NIL becomes a thing, here’s how we can make it work.” Not out of moral obligation, necessarily, but as a matter of risk management. A smart organization might have started that plan after Ed O’Bannon filed a federal lawsuit against the NCAA related to his name, image, and likeness rights in 2009, or when EA Sports got out of the lawsuit in May 2014 by settling with the players for $40 million, or when the trial judge found in favor of the O’Bannon plaintiffs in August 2014. Even if every college president, athletic director, and conference commissioner thought athlete-controlled NIL rights would destroy the amateur athletic model, the smart thing to do would have been to plan for that possible future, right?

But instead of that, Kevin, y’all decided to hold the line in the media and threaten to bar California schools from NCAA events and ask Congress to fix your problems for you. Given years to prepare for what you and many of your colleagues see as a major challenge, you did ... well, nothing.

So now, yes, your job, and the NCAA’s, is very hard. And, again, I’m sorry. 2014 you should have made better choices."

I actually used the same risk management argument when DeVos announced her proposed changes to TIX. At first, universities nearly universally pushed back against her proposal. My office did as well, but we also spent the past two years developing what our process would look like should the proposed changes go forward as written. Now, most universities are scrambling and hoping that a judge puts a kabosh on the new regs. My office is prepared for a smooth transition when the regs go into effect in August. Now a judge could still kabosh the new regs between now and then which would mean all of our work the past two years would be for naught, but at least we are prepared.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
That was petty, immature and poorly argued. There has to be better champions for NIL that some random blogger who clearly hates the NCAA and, more precisely, the member schools who make the rules.

I don't think its an argument for NIL. I think its an argument that even if you plan to fight against pending change, a smart organization will still plan for the possibility that the pending change becomes inevitable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »

I guess you missed the point.  As TAMU said, the NCAA and athletic directors had plenty of time to deal with these issues and didn't.  Oh, and the basic hypocricy with some of their arguments is pretty easily countered.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
I don't think its an argument for NIL. I think its an argument that even if you plan to fight against pending change, a smart organization will still plan for the possibility that the pending change becomes inevitable.

No one has ever accused the NCAA of being smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
NCAA is made up of member Institutions. As such they create their own rules. The winds of change were coming from the various legal cases, and unfortunately, the rule making committees did not use the time wisely to create some well thought out proposals. Now the politicians have made a bunch of not well thought out proposals.

The net result of all of this is that most of the athletic teams sponsored by NCAA member institutions will become minor leagues.  Kids will sign up to play for XYZ university and get paid, and as part of that they will assign their image rights to the school and conferences etc. This solves the problem of how to keep an entire team working together. Linemen, scout teams, red shirts etc . The tiny few who can command big money will be able to go pro immediately .

Ultimately I think the pecking order in college sports won't change much. In fact I can make a case that with full transparency, some of the weaker programs may actually have a chance to pool their resources to a particular sport and have some success.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
I know no one cares(specifically Rico who will chime in with his youthful, smart ass response), but I think it's important to note the concerns the student athletes themselves have..So if it's about the kids(which is what Rico and others constantly say they support), then don't these Student athletes voices deserve to be heard?? Or don't there's matter??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
I know no one cares(specifically Rico who will chime in with his youthful, smart ass response), but I think it's important to note the concerns the student athletes themselves have..So if it's about the kids(which is what Rico and others constantly say they support), then don't these Student athletes voices deserve to be heard?? Or don't there's matter??

The ship has sailed.  Even Mark Belling knows it

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »
No one has ever accused the NCAA of being smart
I trust university presidents more than fans (myself included) and the press.

I'd concede that it's not perfect but the schools that make up the NCAA have done a damn good job of providing billions of dollars worth of education to young men and women for decades. Many of whom could not afford it or even get access to that education due to the socioeconomic situations they were born into.

So maybe NIL is the right thing to do, maybe schools like Louisville, Kansas, Arizona, etc. will not exploit it, but don't act like the schools of the NCAA have been these horrible institutions or run by idiots.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
I trust university presidents more than fans (myself included) and the press.

I'd concede that it's not perfect but the schools that make up the NCAA have done a damn good job of providing billions of dollars worth of education to young men and women for decades. Many of whom could not afford it or even get access to that education due to the socioeconomic situations they were born into.

So maybe NIL is the right thing to do, maybe schools like Louisville, Kansas, Arizona, etc. will not exploit it, but don't act like the schools of the NCAA have been these horrible institutions or run by idiots.

No, I shouldn’t have called them dumb.  They’ve done an amazing job keeping all the money for themselves under the guise of amateurism.  Luckily, the con is over

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
I will be happy to see players compensated for their extremely hard work.

In addition to the hundreds of thousands of dollars of education and tens of thousands of dollars in training, facilities, nutrition, marketing, world travel at 5 star accommodations.   

I have come to agree with you 82.  Just sounds like you are choosing to ignore the above. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »

Correct, and as I have stated multiple times MU better have a team of people they are hiring to help with this as well.  MU better be a well oiled machine by the time this hits.  Unfortunately it will take more money away from scholarships to support the new support staff but that is the price of playing shortly.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
I honestly believe that this whole "push" for NIL and ending "amateurism" is more from outside forces than the student athletes themselves. I think people like Rico, MU82 etc care more about the athletes getting compensated then do the student athletes themselves. Just like the athletes themselves care less about the one time transfer rule, then people like Rico, MU82 etc do. I mean read the article in the athletic, several quotes from basketball players about it. Just weird that "fans" like Rico etc care more about these things than the  SA's themselves do and they are the one's it benefits. That's what you get though from people like Rico and others on his side of the fence given the abhorrent things they believe in, and support

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 04:44:40 PM »
I honestly believe that this whole "push" for NIL and ending "amateurism" is more from outside forces than the student athletes themselves. I think people like Rico, MU82 etc care more about the athletes getting compensated then do the student athletes themselves. Just like the athletes themselves care less about the one time transfer rule, then people like Rico, MU82 etc do. I mean read the article in the athletic, several quotes from basketball players about it. Just weird that "fans" like Rico etc care more about these things than the  SA's themselves do and they are the one's it benefits. That's what you get though from people like Rico and others on his side of the fence given the abhorrent things they believe in, and support

It’s abhorrent I believe in student athletes to be able to earn of their name, image and likeness?

Your constant slander of me is sad and says far more about you. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »
No, I shouldn’t have called them dumb.  They’ve done an amazing job keeping all the money for themselves under the guise of amateurism.  Luckily, the con is over
Okay, now that is dumb. So college athletics run for free and the schools keep all the revenue? Your just being obtuse or have some huge ax to grind because of something personal.

Unless you have some proof that schools like UAB or Northern Iowa, Montana State, NJIT, etc. are pocketing huge (or any)  amounts of money from athletics; then we'll agree to disagree on the ethics of American colleges and universities.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »

Forgive me if I take his comments related to that with a huge grain of salt. Of course he’s going to make it sound like the students don’t even want it as proof his viewpoint is right. I’m sure he will point back to some discussion point and act like That is proof the majority of the student population doesn’t want this.