[Today at 04:36:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next year's Starters  (Read 10554 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Next year's Starters
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
So what's the guess on next year's starters? Based on what we know today with Carton in the fold and pending Mane's decision, here's my guess:

1 -- Koby
2 -- DJ Carton (if available)
3 -- Dawson Garcia
4 -- Brendan
5 -- THEO!!!!

The issue with this line-up is whether Karim Mane comes to MU. If he does, there's a battle between  Koby, Carton and Mane over the two guard spots. With Dex and Symir in the mix as well as Greg, we may be extraordinarily deep at guard.

I also see Oso and Fields Lewis (oops) with significant minutes next year, especially if Brendan falters. About the only area where we may have some depth issues is at the "5" spot.

Big question: Can Wojo coach these guys to greatness? I sure hope so!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:10:35 PM by dgies9156 »

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Next year's Starters
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
I'd see Carton starting at PG and McEwen as the starting 2. Otherwise I agree.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »
At least to start the season..

PG - Carton
SG - Greg
SF - Koby
PF - Bailey
C - Theo

I think eventually Bailey slides down to the 3, and Garcia into the 4 spot unless Koby remembers how to play basketball this offseason. 

I see basically no scenerio where Koby is the primary PG next season.  We've seen that movie, and it sucked. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »
Who is fields? Cain Akanno Lewis and Elliott don't seem close enough in auto correct for me to figure it out
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
Who is fields? Cain Akanno Lewis and Elliott don't seem close enough in auto correct for me to figure it out

This guy really likes to call Lewis Fields.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
This guy really likes to call Lewis Fields.

Why?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
Why does dgies keep calling Justin Lewis "Justin Fields" instead?  Because he likes the former Ohio State quarterback?  I don't know...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
Why does dgies keep calling Justin Lewis "Justin Fields" instead?  Because he likes the former Ohio State quarterback?  I don't know...

Senility I guess

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:04:10 AM »
If Carton is eligible.

1 carton
2 Koby
3 bailey
4 Dawson
5 Theo

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 12:43:28 AM »
McEwen has no second gear, is an ok and streaky shooter at best (although excellent from the line), has a poor handle, and doesn’t create.

So he’s being penciled in by everyone as a starter why?  Excuse he was playing out of position as PG, is just that. We didn’t just watch a wet behind the ears freshman, 4th year junior, and he looked completely overmatched game in and game out. 

He has to improve a ton to even deserve regular minutes in my opinion.  If he’s next seasons Ed Morrow, so be it. 

Much more excited about Sy’s potential and a healthy (hopefully) Elliott taking McEwen’s minutes. We already have one huge upgrade over him in DJ. Mane or someone to join those two would also be nice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:48:46 AM by HutchwasClutch »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 06:08:53 AM »
So what's the guess on next year's starters? Based on what we know today with Carton in the fold and pending Mane's decision, here's my guess:

1 -- Koby
2 -- DJ Carton (if available)
3 -- Dawson Garcia
4 -- Brendan
5 -- THEO!!!!

The issue with this line-up is whether Karim Mane comes to MU. If he does, there's a battle between  Koby, Carton and Mane over the two guard spots. With Dex and Symir in the mix as well as Greg, we may be extraordinarily deep at guard.

I also see Oso and Fields Lewis (oops) with significant minutes next year, especially if Brendan falters. About the only area where we may have some depth issues is at the "5" spot.

Big question: Can Wojo coach these guys to greatness? I sure hope so!
In response to your last paragraph, I hope so also, but...no.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 06:56:04 AM »
If he’s next seasons Ed Morrow, so be it. 

What if he's next season's Trent Lockett? A "glue guy" who plays D, grabs rebounds, dives to the floor, takes pressure off the ballhandler when necessary, etc.

Maybe his ego won't let him do that ... but maybe it will, especially if Wojo handles it right.

A whole lot of Scoopers -- I'd say the majority of 'em -- were convinced that Lockett was garbage. Buzz disagreed, kept starting him (much to the chagrin of ScoopLand), and we went to the E8 with Lockett making a very nice contribution.

I'd argue that Koby is a better athlete than Lockett, a better defender, a better ballhandler and a better FT shooter.

Now, if Koby won't buy into being a role player, Wojo should bench him if, indeed, Koby isn't one of our 7-8 best players.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 07:10:15 AM »
McEwen has no second gear, is an ok and streaky shooter at best (although excellent from the line), has a poor handle, and doesn’t create.

So he’s being penciled in by everyone as a starter why?  Excuse he was playing out of position as PG, is just that. We didn’t just watch a wet behind the ears freshman, 4th year junior, and he looked completely overmatched game in and game out. 

He has to improve a ton to even deserve regular minutes in my opinion.  If he’s next seasons Ed Morrow, so be it. 

Much more excited about Sy’s potential and a healthy (hopefully) Elliott taking McEwen’s minutes. We already have one huge upgrade over him in DJ. Mane or someone to join those two would also be nice.

Agreed
I would take a healthy greg over koby in a heartbeat
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »

Greg Elliott is the new Joe Fulce: always hurt, which lead to a loss of athleticism and stunted skill development.

Symir Torrence's freshman year was a combination of Andrew Rowsey's defense and Derrick Wilson's offense.  Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but close.

Dexter Akanno is a complete unknown.

Penciling any of these guys in to the starting lineup is a leap of faith.  The starting SG spot is wide open, but McEwen is the early favorite.

Edit: not sure why I blanked on Rowsey's name.  Andrew, not Aaron.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:40:37 AM by Lazar's Headband »

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 07:57:01 AM »
Agree with Hutch and Sand. Why do most feel Koby is a lock to start next season? He can't handle the ball and we have no reason to believe he can spot up and shoot as a 2 nor slash and finish at the hoop. Agree his strengths are rebounding for his size, defense and FT shooting.

Assuming Canton is with us, I believe he plays 30+ minutes per game, starting at PG and sliding to the 2 with Sy playing the point.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
Greg Elliott is the new Joe Fulce: always hurt, which lead to a loss of athleticism and stunted skill development.

Symir Torrence's freshman year was a combination of Aaron Rowsey's defense and Derrick Wilson's offense.  Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but close.

Dexter Akanno is a complete unknown.

Penciling any of these guys in to the starting lineup is a leap of faith.  The starting SG spot is wide open, but McEwen is the early favorite.

Comparing Sy to Derrick offensively.  Ok.  Derrick’s BEST 3 pt% in 4 years was 23%. Sy finished at 37.5% and was 40% from distance in conference. 

Derrick never reached 50% FT at MU.  Sy was just under 73%.

Derrick’s best FG % was essentially equal to Sy’s this year.

Now, as far as Sy vs Aaron Rowsey...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
Is this not the same argument that people made when they thought that Sacar's minutes would be slashed and he would transfer.  Look, Koby played almost 30 mpg last year, and with 66 mpg at the guard spot graduating he's gonna play quite a bit this year too.  Everybody is throwing around all these "what ifs", but right now Carton has to sit out, and Mane is an uncommitted target.  Now, some of those things may change in the coming days, but right now, as the roster is constructed, Koby would start and see at least 25 mpg.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 08:50:47 AM »
Likely:

Carton
Koby
Garcia
Bailey
Theo

Outside the box thinking:

Garcia
Carton
Bailey
Cain
Theo

What the team is missing is a good slasher.  Believe Mane has that kind of athleticism/ability which would be huge addition.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
Likely:

Carton
Koby
Garcia
Bailey
Theo

Outside the box thinking:

Garcia
Carton
Bailey
Cain
Theo

What the team is missing is a good slasher.  Believe Mane has that kind of athleticism/ability which would be huge addition.
That 2nd group has one guy that can dribble. That’s pretty far outside of the box.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
That 2nd group has one guy that can dribble. That’s pretty far outside of the box.

Garcia handles the ball like a guard.  Bailey is okay.  Jamal?  Makes me nervous when he puts it on the deck, but like all other attributes of his game.  This lineup would defend and rebound well, and shoot the three well.  But, I understand your point

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »

If Cain learns a little bit about dribbling this summer, he can move ahead of Bailey.  Better than Bailey in many areas, but with the ball in his hands. he has to think
what to do, normally then a turnover.  Has opportunity to do that, can he, I do not know.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2020, 09:08:47 AM »
Theo is the only guarantee at this point. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31:22 AM »
My outside the box that will never happen, but fun to consider, and give us some unique identity-

F- Oso
F- Lewis
F- Garcia
G- Sy
G- DJ (presuming eligibility of course)

Lineup would have inside/outside play, ball handling, versatility, size, and most importantly-  talent!! 

Theo as 6th man to prevent early foul trouble. Lots of minutes still.

Defense would be an issue though with those 5 together 😬.  Would be entertaining though. 

Let youth be served!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »
People who complain about Koby’s handle, and at the same time advocate for Symir, better look more deeply at the stats.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow