collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Federal "Hero Fund" proposed  (Read 3645 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Federal "Hero Fund" proposed
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
Up to $25k for essential workers

https://www.the-sun.com/news/678192/essential-workers-25000-hazard-pay-hero-fund/

IMO, this proposal ain't going anywhere.

tower912

• All American
Re: Federal "Hero Fund" proposed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:15:43 PM »
Give it to the medical staffs, paramedics and stockboys. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
Care home workers getting shafted again

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »

Isn't that what you're into?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:46:28 PM »
Isn't that what you're into?

Breaking News at 9.  Another homosexual joke from a man who is uncomfortable with his homosexuality.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:23:45 AM »
Give them the bonus, too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Thats a nice gesture, but maybe they should worry about properly funding the PPP program which is turning into a quagmire of epic proportions

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
Yes, the coordination there has been poor.   A recurring theme.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:31:45 AM by tower912 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
Yes, the coordination their has been poor.   A recurring theme.

Not the coordination, which was a clusterunnatural carnal knowledge. The SBA said that the PPP is out of money.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »
Thats a nice gesture, but maybe they should worry about properly funding the PPP program which is turning into a quagmire of epic proportions

The PPP is out of money. States are out of money, and soon will not be able to pay unemployment. Hospitals are out of money and having to furlough workers/cut their pay in the middle of a crisis.

Everyone agrees that has to be fixed. Do it all now.

Not sure why this has to be a 1 or the other. These were all bipartisan initiatives.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 11:01:53 AM »
The PPP is out of money. States are out of money, and soon will not be able to pay unemployment. Hospitals are out of money and having to furlough workers/cut their pay in the middle of a crisis.

Not sure why this has to be a 1 or the other. These were all bipartisan initiatives.

You ready for inflation?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »

I'm aware.  And yet another reason Ive been so wildly uncomfortable with this idea of keeping businesses closed and just let the government pick up the slack financially. Its a disaster

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »
I'm aware.  And yet another reason Ive been so wildly uncomfortable with this idea of keeping businesses closed and just let the government pick up the slack financially. Its a disaster

That's why I'm so angry about the failures on testing. From the beginning that has been the route to success, and we failed over and over again.

I know you think I'm far away from you in terms of stances (I don't think we are). Where we differ (I think), is on whether to take the gamble without testing. I think that makes things worse, I believe, you think, we're f'd either way, so might as well take a gamble. 

I can't emphasize how pissed I am at how poor we have handled testing from the get-go.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »

Being honest, all the options are a disaster.  But keeping businesses closed temporarily is helping to slow the infection rate of a highly contagious virus - and thus save lives - and thus helping to insure enough people available to be productive in the future.  US GDP is reliant on people and productivity.  It was (and still is) a logical decision.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »
That's why I'm so angry about the failures on testing. From the beginning that has been the route to success, and we failed over and over again.

I know you think I'm far away from you in terms of stances (I don't think we are). Where we differ (I think), is on whether to take the gamble without testing. I think that makes things worse, I believe, you think, we're f'd either way, so might as well take a gamble. 

I can't emphasize how pissed I am at how poor we have handled testing from the get-go.

I don’t disagree. The delays and roadblocks in testing is beyond infuriating. We’re aligned there. I just refuse to come around to a mindset that lets businesses bleed to death .

Being honest, all the options are a disaster.  But keeping businesses closed temporarily is helping to slow the infection rate of a highly contagious virus - and thus save lives - and thus helping to insure enough people available to be productive in the future.  US GDP is reliant on people and productivity.  It was (and still is) a logical decision.

That’s fine. But temporarily is a wildly variable time frame and unlike you, I don’t believe the government always knows what’s best, especially for my business. I work in enough countries where that’s the prevailing mindset to know I want no part of that.  We will get to 6-8 weeks of that closure and be told that’s not good enough, “we need to keep saving lives” and that’s just unacceptable to me, cause the bailout plans won’t be enough, anything more added will be fiscally irresponsible and bring inflation, and those business will be wrecked anyways. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »
This all has to end in nationalized healthcare and basic income right? I don't see any other way right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »
This all has to end in nationalized healthcare and basic income right? I don't see any other way right now.

Honestly, yes.  The financial ramifications of this pandemic are going to be significant.  I'm guessing there will come a time that companies will look to invest in further automation before this is over.  More people will also be working from home permanently.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »

And widespread automation instead of relying on cheap overseas labor.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
And widespread automation instead of relying on cheap overseas labor.

Ah yes, this as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
\unlike you, I don’t believe the government always knows what’s best, especially for my business.

Whoa!  Assigning that opinion to me is a pretty wild leap!  If anything, I think I've shown don't actually trust the government (not just this current government) to do much right.  However, I do have high *hopes* that our government will do "good" and "sensible" things. 

I also don't know your business.  A large majority of businesses are still operating - "stay at home" in theory doesn't shut them down.  But, "stay at home" has limited a huge % of service and retail businesses.   This is all on top of an economy that wasn't really humming along as well as many would have liked us to believe.

Point being, I'm not saying government is always right, but I do believe that limiting the spread of this virus should be the topmost priority right now - businesses be damned - because they'll be damned for sure if we don't. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »
Whoa!  Assigning that opinion to me is a pretty wild leap!  If anything, I think I've shown don't actually trust the government (not just this current government) to do much right.  However, I do have high *hopes* that our government will do "good" and "sensible" things. 

I also don't know your business.  A large majority of businesses are still operating - "stay at home" in theory doesn't shut them down.  But, "stay at home" has limited a huge % of service and retail businesses.   This is all on top of an economy that wasn't really humming along as well as many would have liked us to believe.

Point being, I'm not saying government is always right, but I do believe that limiting the spread of this virus should be the topmost priority right now - businesses be damned - because they'll be damned for sure if we don't.

The collective “you”. It’s not exactly a unique opinion. Good and “sensible” for who? The government to decide. That doesn’t work for me.

And sure, some people can work from home, I (and others within my organization) could work remotely indefinitely if absolutely necessary, but the end user or outlet is cut off, so there’s nothing to fund or work towards. Advertising, consulting, tech services...all businesses that could operate fine WFH...but all at a standstill cause they support many more who cant. My GF works for a firm who invests in and manages apartment complexes, she’s been busy, same with my friends who work for CPG companies that make essential items. Everyone else, by and large, are on some level of largely scaled back or no activity, which isn’t long term sustainable.

And that right there, “businesses be damned”. That’s a mentality or outlook that makes sense for 4-6 weeks, after that, will kill far more than this virus ever would. Look at the unemployment numbers.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
And that right there, “businesses be damned”. That’s a mentality or outlook that makes sense for 4-6 weeks, after that, will kill far more than this virus ever would. Look at the unemployment numbers.

I am not going to say 'no one is saying that', because there has been all kinda of comments in these threads that span the reasonable to wild.

I will say that I dont think the majority of people are saying that.  Frankly just look at that meat plant in SD.  They were essential and open.  Through willful ignorance or just ferocity of virus, they are closed because so many workers are sick.  Doesnt that just scream that these govt 'restrictions' are a red herring?  Its about detecting and controlling the virus....thats what matters

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
I was reading the latest National Geographic issue on climate change.  It was written before the pandemic.  There was some mention the government for lwsy ess than the 2008 bank bailout can convert every building in the United States to super energy efficiency.  (I can't remember specifically.)
Some of these arguments will be hard to argue against now after the money being spent on the pandemic. And there is actual payback on this type of spending too.