[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nike  (Read 2880 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Nike
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
had ordered my son a sweatshirt through eastbay for his HS baseball team.  Got a credit today for it cause it was canceled as Nike is not getting shipments from China at this time.
Made me think about all the basketball shoes and other clothes items that are made overseas
Wonder if companies will look into other places to get products made after this settles down

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Nike
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
had ordered my son a sweatshirt through eastbay for his HS baseball team.  Got a credit today for it cause it was canceled as Nike is not getting shipments from China at this time.
Made me think about all the basketball shoes and other clothes items that are made overseas
Wonder if companies will look into other places to get products made after this settles down

If it hurts their profits, I doubt it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 03:55:53 PM »

They may want to, but where else would they get them?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
They may want to, but where else would they get them?

India or Africa
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
If it hurts their profits, I doubt it.

This stuff probably will hurt their profits. But it won't hurt their long-term success as a company.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
Goods are being shipped from China every day to every major brand in the USA. In addition, Nike is very active in Vietnam, Cambodia and many other SE Asian countries. China is open for business but that could change in war future. Since demand is very low in USA, many major retailers are pushing out orders to Chinese suppliers.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
India or Africa

I was speaking specifically about Nike. Very limited production in Africa - no shoes. A bit more in India, but vast majority is China and SE Asia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
Jockey

Nike and many top US brands are extremely active in Africa and have been for several years. Africa is several years away from being a major mfg hub, but the Chinese are there building the infrastructure. In addition, footwear will lead the way in Africa, like it does in every new hub of manufacturing.
Full disclosure— my family has been in the footwear business for decades.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 07:01:42 PM »
Jockey

Nike and many top US brands are extremely active in Africa and have been for several years. Africa is several years away from being a major mfg hub, but the Chinese are there building the infrastructure. In addition, footwear will lead the way in Africa, like it does in every new hub of manufacturing.

I agree it is coming as Nike is always chasing cheap labor and Africa will be the next big production area - plus the pandemic will push more production to Africa even quicker. But as of now, it is still a small percentage of their production (Nike).

The company I worked for (mostly apparel) was almost 100% in China and Indonesia and made a great effort to reduce that. Now they have a bigger presence in SE Asia and India than they do in China.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
Jockey

Economic imperialism.

The US/west should be terrified of this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
Economic imperialism.

The US/west should be terrified of this.

I mean, we're pretty good at it, too.