[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Little Reminder  (Read 2585 times)

dgies9156

• All American
A Little Reminder
« on: March 11, 2020, 08:29:57 AM »
Back in 1977, we were having a tough time at the end of the season. In fact, we were, by standards of the day, terrible.

We were losing with alarming regularity. We lost four of our last six home games and we sweated out the tournament selection, learning only at halftime of the final game of the season, at Michigan, that we made the tournament.

There were a lot of disappointed Warrior fans. If someone had said on March 6, 1977 that Marquette would be NCAA Champions by the end of the month, we would have wondered what wacky weed they were smoking! McCormick window box, maybe?

Then we caught fire. You know the rest of the story.

Can't sit here today and say this team can catch fire. That's in the hearts and minds of the current batch of Warriors. But in this phase of the season anything is possible. Heck, even Loyola made it to the Final Four a few years ago. Wojo has some work to do, of course. But, never say never.

Morale: Don't write anyone off until they lose their last tournament game. You just never know.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: A Little Reminder
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
Back in 1977, we were having a tough time at the end of the season. In fact, we were, by standards of the day, terrible.

We were losing with alarming regularity. We lost four of our last six home games and we sweated out the tournament selection, learning only at halftime of the final game of the season, at Michigan, that we made the tournament.

There were a lot of disappointed Warrior fans. If someone had said on March 6, 1977 that Marquette would be NCAA Champions by the end of the month, we would have wondered what wacky weed they were smoking! McCormick window box, maybe?

Then we caught fire. You know the rest of the story.

Can't sit here today and say this team can catch fire. That's in the hearts and minds of the current batch of Warriors. But in this phase of the season anything is possible. Heck, even Loyola made it to the Final Four a few years ago. Wojo has some work to do, of course. But, never say never.

Morale: Don't write anyone off until they lose their last tournament game. You just never know.

Brother dgies,

Love your hope/enthusiasm but the idea that the 1977 team limped into the tournament is false. That team finished the regular season with five (5) consecutive road games. We won 4 before losing to #3 Michigan in Ann Arbor 69-68. MU entered the tournament playing their best basketball of the year and their roll continued on to the title. This year’s Warriors don’t remind me of the 77 team in any way, shape or form. But it ain’t over til it’s over - we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:04:00 AM »
The other thing to consider is the several years of strong post season success prior to that season. MU has gone five years without an NCAA win under this regime and six overall. That makes it a bit different.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
And 32 teams made the tourney that year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Brother dgies,

Love your hope/enthusiasm but the idea that the 1977 team limped into the tournament is false. That team finished the regular season with five (5) consecutive road games. We won 4 before losing to #3 Michigan in Ann Arbor 69-68. MU entered the tournament playing their best basketball of the year and their roll continued on to the title. This year%u2019s Warriors don%u2019t remind me of the 77 team in any way, shape or form. But it ain%u2019t over til it%u2019s over - we%u2019ve got that going for us, which is nice.

Brother Lenny:

We were uncertain about the NCAA until halftime of the Michigan game. Coach McGuire changed suits at halftime, which was a signal to the world that we were in. The general thought up to that moment was we had to beat Michigan to get in tournament.

We were up at halftime in that game, when the NCAA made the offer. We went on to lose.

As Brother Afroman points out, there were only 32 teams in the tournament that year. We definitely were NOT an automatic.

I think the 1977 team was a lot better than this one, no doubt. But I would stress again that the way we played at home up to that point plus the loss to Michigan left most of us feeling, this won't last long!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
Da absolute only thin' deez too teems have inn common, iz dey both represent MU. Talk 'bout apples and oranges, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »
I root for MU through thick and thin.
But this team averages 15 TO per game.
The pace now days is much faster, but could you see Al if he had this team?
I got to believe taking care of the ball and making smart decisions would be his No. 1 priority.  With Hank & Rick they would of got it done.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:26:50 AM »
In the Big East’s 40th anniversary for MU they highlight the 77 team.  Ulice is interviewed and he describes the boos and items being thrown at the players in their final home games at the MECCA. 

I know we’re traditionally short on traditions at MU but maybe one of our traditions is harassing our own team.  🤔
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:42:18 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
Must have been the alumni.  I seem to remember they had the best seats as they were the donors.  Heck, not all students could even get tickets as back then it was first come, which required camping out in front of the Memorial union for a week.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
Was watching an FS1 segment on the 77 team.  The players interviewed said fans at one of the last home games were booing them and throwing beer on them.  Seems like our fans have always been douche bags.  But I’m uncertain if that is an endearing trait or not?

Sorry Lens didn’t see your reply.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:33:58 AM by Shooter McGavin »

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »
I am hoping to be surprised tomorrow. Ultimately I probably wont be, but I still hold onto hope because being a fan is tough otherwise.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
MARQUETTE...

Only One Title but Always Entitled
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »
Must have been the alumni.  I seem to remember they had the best seats as they were the donors.  Heck, not all students could even get tickets as back then it was first come, which required camping out in front of the Memorial union for a week.

Let me bring clarity to this.

First of all, Ulice is right. He always is. Our team was treated shabbily by some of our fans. It was an unfortunate and disgusting moment and one that even those of us who admired our Warriors should be ashamed of. All of us were raised better than that.

I'll agree the Wichita State game was not one of our team's best, but our team deserved better than that. Some of us (me included) thanked them -- and Al -- for the wonderful memories.

Bill Neary brought this up in the celebration the day after we won it all. Bill was right!

An, unfortunately, it was our students. Our students sat on the north side of the Arena, from the floor to the back wall, much as they do in the Computing Castle. The team went to the locker rooms through the north side exits.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:45:09 PM by dgies9156 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 01:20:26 PM »
MARQUETTE...

Only One Title but Always Entitled

I'll literally just be happy with a couple tourney wins here and there to build the brand then go from there. I'm okay with some interim baby steps, but we're still crawling after 6 years.