[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big donors  (Read 10801 times)

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
Re: Big donors
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
This is all wrong. FWIW Strong supported Ben Howland.

He's a smart man...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 10:07:38 PM »
Figurin' Ma and Pa are da next couple up, aina?

Weren't they instrumental in the hiring of Coach Peters?

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »
This is all wrong. FWIW Strong supported Ben Howland.

As usual, Gato is correct.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
One call.......That’s all!!!!!

Lol, that guy has no money
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Lol, that guy has no money

Idk, he gets his dry cleaning done at the same place I do.  He must have deep pockets   8-)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »
Idk, he gets his dry cleaning done at the same place I do.  He must have deep pockets   8-)

The guy destroys the stations in the BMO Club before Bucks games like he’s never seen anything but Spam before.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 10:33:54 PM »
He makes a fine wage.  But he’s a UWM donor. 

Hupy & Habush have 10x the number of offices he does.  And they’ve seen the inside of a courtroom.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 10:36:07 PM »
The guy destroys the stations in the BMO Club before Bucks games like he’s never seen anything but Spam before.

Gruber and Buzz aren’t the only ones with $hitt!ing problems.  I’ll leave it at that  :-X

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
Gruber and Buzz aren’t the only ones with $hitt!ing problems.  I’ll leave it at that  :-X

Wojo squirts at Angels 36?

Death on call

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 05:48:17 AM »
One call.......that's not all

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
I am guessing that most of the posters here that are calling for Wojo's head have donated very little money to MU. Partially due to the fact that they are current students or recent graduates.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
I am guessing that most of the posters here that are calling for Wojo's head have donated very little money to MU. Partially due to the fact that they are current students or recent graduates.

I know that your assumption is factually incorrect on both counts when it comes to a number of posters here.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »

You are failing to acknowledge the Meat Summit Underboard.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 04:09:10 PM »
And the basis for that would be...?
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
And the basis for that would be...?
I just think it is the young guys that are most upset.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
I just think it is the young guys that are most upset.

I think it's 2 particular groups: those whose formative MU bball lives were under Al or under Buzz

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
My formative years were under Dukiet and O'Neill.  The 4 years there were pretty lean with the exception of Oneill's NIT bid in '90 and they were never ranked.  The team was decent after I left - maybe it's on me - going on a run the next 6 years with NCAA, NCAA, NIT, NCAA, NCAA, and NIT bids.  Then Deane cratered because he couldn't recruit (among other things) and Crean came in.  In his 3rd year, he took them to the NCAA, then to the final 4, then 2 NITs before coming to the Big East and continuing with Buzz for a total of 8 straight NCAAs.  I'll admit that this team is better now than the teams MU put on the floor when I went to school there but that's not saying much.  Dukiet was about as bad as you can get.  I also know that we aren't in the Big East if the team continued to flounder like it did when I was there.  If they make the NCAAs this year, that's 3 in 4 years and I probably would have loved that when I was at MU.  But once you have a taste, you always want more.  The expectations have changed and they should.  You should always be looking for more.  Would never tell the fans or the students today to settle for what we have now because it's better than what I had.  We all know it could be better.  Sure, it could be worse but the fact that it could be better is what drives all of us or we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
My formative years were under Dukiet and O'Neill.  The 4 years there were pretty lean with the exception of Oneill's NIT bid in '90 and they were never ranked.  The team was decent after I left - maybe it's on me - going on a run the next 6 years with NCAA, NCAA, NIT, NCAA, NCAA, and NIT bids.  Then Deane cratered because he couldn't recruit (among other things) and Crean came in.  In his 3rd year, he took them to the NCAA, then to the final 4, then 2 NITs before coming to the Big East and continuing with Buzz for a total of 8 straight NCAAs.  I'll admit that this team is better now than the teams MU put on the floor when I went to school there but that's not saying much.  Dukiet was about as bad as you can get.  I also know that we aren't in the Big East if the team continued to flounder like it did when I was there.  If they make the NCAAs this year, that's 3 in 4 years and I probably would have loved that when I was at MU.  But once you have a taste, you always want more.  The expectations have changed and they should.  You should always be looking for more.  Would never tell the fans or the students today to settle for what we have now because it's better than what I had.  We all know it could be better.  Sure, it could be worse but the fact that it could be better is what drives all of us or we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.

This matches my experience.  In full and fair disclosure, next to Al, KO is the best thing that ever happened to Marquette Basketball.

Imagine walking into the Bradley Center and hoping the game against the Evansville Purple Aces (the freakin' Purple Aces) would be close - single digit loss.  I laugh at those who think Wojo had it tough when he walked in the door.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »
Very well said
No Finish Line

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

I lived through those dark times, too.  Getting hyped up for the Duquesne game was always the highlight of the season.

KO should have a statue on campus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »
You are failing to acknowledge the Meat Summit Underboard.

Actually, many of them claim to have given "large amounts" in the past, but not recently because they won't donate to a school that accepts mediocrity!

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 12:11:18 AM »
Actually, many of them claim to have given "large amounts" in the past, but not recently because they won't donate to a school that accepts mediocrity!

One more insult and I’m banning you boomer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:08 AM »

It's funny but if you make enough you need the tax breaks

Death on call

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »
An Al McGuire era Warrior here. I know how good “good” can be. Even when the team was out early, it was fun to watch and home games at times could be a circus. The students showed up and, for the most part, took ownership in the program.

We saw flashes of this when Buzz, KO and Coach Crean were here. I think what makes a lot of us so emotional about where we are now is we know what a Natty, or a deep run in the NCAA, means for the university. We know Markus in many ways exemplifies what Marquette is about and we want to see something tangible to go along with his accomplishments.

The emotion in Scoop is a good thing — it shows our constituencies care.

As a final thought, I’ve been a consistent contributor to Marquette since I was graduated. Yes, I want the basketball team to be good — it’s a fun winter diversion — but the contributions I make are not dependent on the basketball team. What Marquette does education-wise is really important and they have made a difference in thousands and thousands of lives.

Wojo or no Wojo, that’s not going to change!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »
Damn straight, dude, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"