[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big donors  (Read 10799 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Big donors
« on: March 07, 2020, 04:13:53 PM »
Assuming there's interest in a buy-out of the coach's contract, who are the big MU donors that will force the issue? I honestly have no idea. If it's up to Lovell, I think Wojo stays forever.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Big donors
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
I don't see Wojo being bought out or fired or any such thing.  While his seat might not be hot from administration, I do think he is feeling the heat from the fans and the best bet might be for him to look, flirt and find greener pastures.  Wasn't there a rumor last year about him looking at another job?  He is gone if he can find something.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
I don't see Wojo being bought out or fired or any such thing.  While his seat might not be hot from administration, I do think he is feeling the heat from the fans and the best bet might be for him to look, flirt and find greener pastures.  Wasn't there a rumor last year about him looking at another job?  He is gone if he can find something.

i heard the sobelmans on port road has some openings
don't...don't don't don't don't

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
The huge donors are our children now a days.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »

I think the window for Wojo to land at another P6 school has closed. That would be a tough hire to sell to any P6 fan base. I can’t picture what the spin would be if he took an obvious step down and pay cut.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »
I think the window for Wojo to land at another P6 school has closed. That would be a tough hire to sell to any P6 fan base. I can’t picture what the spin would be if he took an obvious step down and pay cut.

This was fantasy long before this meltdown

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »
Coack k needs a shoe shine assistant.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
We're the only program stupid enough to have Wojo on the payroll. Nice job, MU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
I am not sure that MU's really big donors are basketball fans.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »

Dick Strong is done giving monster checks to hoops.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 05:02:34 PM »
Dick Strong is done giving monster checks to hoops.

Ironically enough, because of the Wojo hiring by Lovell. Guess Strong was smart, huh??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
Ironically enough, because of the Wojo hiring by Lovell. Guess Strong was smart, huh??
What was his objection?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 05:08:59 PM »

I am not sure MU really has that many "big donors". Strong was by far the largest for hoops and he left the tent.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:31:27 PM by 79Warrior »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
What was his objection?

Correct me if I’m wrong but he was all in on Shaka and even flew to meet him. Then he hopped on a plane to go overseas and got a text MU had a new coach.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong but he was all in on Shaka and even flew to meet him. Then he hopped on a plane to go overseas and got a text MU had a new coach.

That’s half right, Shaka backed out last minute. Instead of reaching back out to Strong to discuss another potential coach, they just hired wojo.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »
So, MU can't afford a buyout, and Wojo has no other coaching options. A marriage made in heaven!
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
This is all wrong. FWIW Strong supported Ben Howland.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:32:08 PM by Gato78 »

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
One call.......That’s all!!!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 05:44:22 PM »

He’s not that rich!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
This very well might be right but it’s disgusting if true. He’s had everything he’s needed from support, time and resources to show what he’s worth as a head coach and the answer is painfully clear. I’ll continue to count down the days until a change is made.
No Finish Line

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
He’s not that rich!

Spends a lot on T shirts. 

Ludum habemus.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Glad they didn’t listen to him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
Figurin' Ma and Pa are da next couple up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »

I can’t get understand that!

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
I can’t get understand that!
? I can’t either....

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »

He's a smart man...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 10:07:38 PM »
Figurin' Ma and Pa are da next couple up, aina?

Weren't they instrumental in the hiring of Coach Peters?

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »

As usual, Gato is correct.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »

Lol, that guy has no money
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Lol, that guy has no money

Idk, he gets his dry cleaning done at the same place I do.  He must have deep pockets   8-)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »
Idk, he gets his dry cleaning done at the same place I do.  He must have deep pockets   8-)

The guy destroys the stations in the BMO Club before Bucks games like he’s never seen anything but Spam before.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 10:33:54 PM »
He makes a fine wage.  But he’s a UWM donor. 

Hupy & Habush have 10x the number of offices he does.  And they’ve seen the inside of a courtroom.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 10:36:07 PM »
The guy destroys the stations in the BMO Club before Bucks games like he’s never seen anything but Spam before.

Gruber and Buzz aren’t the only ones with $hitt!ing problems.  I’ll leave it at that  :-X

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
Gruber and Buzz aren’t the only ones with $hitt!ing problems.  I’ll leave it at that  :-X

Wojo squirts at Angels 36?

Death on call

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2020, 05:48:17 AM »
One call.......that's not all

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2020, 08:49:27 PM »
I am guessing that most of the posters here that are calling for Wojo's head have donated very little money to MU. Partially due to the fact that they are current students or recent graduates.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
I am guessing that most of the posters here that are calling for Wojo's head have donated very little money to MU. Partially due to the fact that they are current students or recent graduates.

I know that your assumption is factually incorrect on both counts when it comes to a number of posters here.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »

You are failing to acknowledge the Meat Summit Underboard.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 04:09:10 PM »
And the basis for that would be...?
No Finish Line

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
And the basis for that would be...?
I just think it is the young guys that are most upset.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »
I just think it is the young guys that are most upset.

I think it's 2 particular groups: those whose formative MU bball lives were under Al or under Buzz

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
My formative years were under Dukiet and O'Neill.  The 4 years there were pretty lean with the exception of Oneill's NIT bid in '90 and they were never ranked.  The team was decent after I left - maybe it's on me - going on a run the next 6 years with NCAA, NCAA, NIT, NCAA, NCAA, and NIT bids.  Then Deane cratered because he couldn't recruit (among other things) and Crean came in.  In his 3rd year, he took them to the NCAA, then to the final 4, then 2 NITs before coming to the Big East and continuing with Buzz for a total of 8 straight NCAAs.  I'll admit that this team is better now than the teams MU put on the floor when I went to school there but that's not saying much.  Dukiet was about as bad as you can get.  I also know that we aren't in the Big East if the team continued to flounder like it did when I was there.  If they make the NCAAs this year, that's 3 in 4 years and I probably would have loved that when I was at MU.  But once you have a taste, you always want more.  The expectations have changed and they should.  You should always be looking for more.  Would never tell the fans or the students today to settle for what we have now because it's better than what I had.  We all know it could be better.  Sure, it could be worse but the fact that it could be better is what drives all of us or we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
My formative years were under Dukiet and O'Neill.  The 4 years there were pretty lean with the exception of Oneill's NIT bid in '90 and they were never ranked.  The team was decent after I left - maybe it's on me - going on a run the next 6 years with NCAA, NCAA, NIT, NCAA, NCAA, and NIT bids.  Then Deane cratered because he couldn't recruit (among other things) and Crean came in.  In his 3rd year, he took them to the NCAA, then to the final 4, then 2 NITs before coming to the Big East and continuing with Buzz for a total of 8 straight NCAAs.  I'll admit that this team is better now than the teams MU put on the floor when I went to school there but that's not saying much.  Dukiet was about as bad as you can get.  I also know that we aren't in the Big East if the team continued to flounder like it did when I was there.  If they make the NCAAs this year, that's 3 in 4 years and I probably would have loved that when I was at MU.  But once you have a taste, you always want more.  The expectations have changed and they should.  You should always be looking for more.  Would never tell the fans or the students today to settle for what we have now because it's better than what I had.  We all know it could be better.  Sure, it could be worse but the fact that it could be better is what drives all of us or we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.

This matches my experience.  In full and fair disclosure, next to Al, KO is the best thing that ever happened to Marquette Basketball.

Imagine walking into the Bradley Center and hoping the game against the Evansville Purple Aces (the freakin' Purple Aces) would be close - single digit loss.  I laugh at those who think Wojo had it tough when he walked in the door.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »
Very well said
No Finish Line

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

I lived through those dark times, too.  Getting hyped up for the Duquesne game was always the highlight of the season.

KO should have a statue on campus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »
You are failing to acknowledge the Meat Summit Underboard.

Actually, many of them claim to have given "large amounts" in the past, but not recently because they won't donate to a school that accepts mediocrity!

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 12:11:18 AM »
Actually, many of them claim to have given "large amounts" in the past, but not recently because they won't donate to a school that accepts mediocrity!

One more insult and I’m banning you boomer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:08 AM »

It's funny but if you make enough you need the tax breaks

Death on call

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »
An Al McGuire era Warrior here. I know how good “good” can be. Even when the team was out early, it was fun to watch and home games at times could be a circus. The students showed up and, for the most part, took ownership in the program.

We saw flashes of this when Buzz, KO and Coach Crean were here. I think what makes a lot of us so emotional about where we are now is we know what a Natty, or a deep run in the NCAA, means for the university. We know Markus in many ways exemplifies what Marquette is about and we want to see something tangible to go along with his accomplishments.

The emotion in Scoop is a good thing — it shows our constituencies care.

As a final thought, I’ve been a consistent contributor to Marquette since I was graduated. Yes, I want the basketball team to be good — it’s a fun winter diversion — but the contributions I make are not dependent on the basketball team. What Marquette does education-wise is really important and they have made a difference in thousands and thousands of lives.

Wojo or no Wojo, that’s not going to change!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »
Damn straight, dude, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 08:52:43 AM »
An Al McGuire era Warrior here. I know how good “good” can be. Even when the team was out early, it was fun to watch and home games at times could be a circus. The students showed up and, for the most part, took ownership in the program.

We saw flashes of this when Buzz, KO and Coach Crean were here. I think what makes a lot of us so emotional about where we are now is we know what a Natty, or a deep run in the NCAA, means for the university. We know Markus in many ways exemplifies what Marquette is about and we want to see something tangible to go along with his accomplishments.

The emotion in Scoop is a good thing — it shows our constituencies care.

As a final thought, I’ve been a consistent contributor to Marquette since I was graduated. Yes, I want the basketball team to be good — it’s a fun winter diversion — but the contributions I make are not dependent on the basketball team. What Marquette does education-wise is really important and they have made a difference in thousands and thousands of lives.

Wojo or no Wojo, that’s not going to change!

Love your post! Marquette will always be close to my heart.

As a fellow Al Era guy, yeah...I know the feeling. Too bad lately that we need to rely on the memories and have so little in the present to be happy about with the way everything has turned out.

Great job (and gutsy) at focusing what is truly important on a forum dedicated to basketball.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
Love your post! Marquette will always be close to my heart.

As a fellow Al Era guy, yeah...I know the feeling. Too bad lately that we need to rely on the memories and have so little in the present to be happy about with the way everything has turned out.

Great job (and gutsy) at focusing what is truly important on a forum dedicated to basketball.

We have plenty to be happy about.  Reprioritize.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
We have plenty to be happy about.  Reprioritize.

Says who?? Who are you to tell him anything?

feedback