[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton  (Read 8212 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Creighton
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 10:33:23 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »
I agree. No way in hell I could see lightweight Lovell allowing Slick Rick. No way Al McGuire would be allowed to coach MU under this BOT and President.

Never thought about it but this is probably true. Sad.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 10:40:31 PM »

There’s not a BOT in the nation that would allow Al to do what Al did in today’s world.

Edit: I regret this take somewhat, Louisville is a vile place.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:55:51 PM by Retire0 »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 10:44:39 PM »
We were knocking on that door.  Then we messed with Happy. 

All so we could recruit “good kids”.

The team player photo at the start of the game says it all.
M.U. players are wearing suits and ties, very preppy, sweaky clean.  Love the bow tie that T.J. is wearing.  Might as well be playing for St. Lawrence or Bucknell. 
St. John's and every other team are wearing basketball shirts.  They come to play, M.U. comes to make a good impression.  I'm sure we will look very squared away Wednesday night.

Perhaps the B.O.T. can get us into the Ivy League.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »
We were knocking on that door.  Then we messed with Happy. 

All so we could recruit “good kids”.

Bingo. Sadly, this is it in a nutshell.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 10:52:39 PM »
There’s not a BOT in the world that world allow Al to do what Al did in today’s world.

Feelings >>>>

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 10:59:47 PM »
There’s not a BOT in the world that world allow Al to do what Al did in today’s world.

Al McGuire was an agent of social change.

Arthur Schlesinger wrote in his acclaimed biography of Robert Kennedy that in 1968, the only two white guys who could safely walk the streets of Harlem were Kennedy and Al McGuire.

McGuire stood for something greater than men running around in their underwear. Adolph Rupp, and the broader American consciousness, were schooled in tolerance and inclusion by Al in a fashion that was instantly understandable.

Al was much more than a basketball coach.

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 11:01:25 PM »

Arthur Schlesinger wrote in his acclaimed biography of Robert Kennedy that in 1968, the only two white guys who could safely walk the streets of Harlem were Kennedy and Al McGuire.

McGuire stood for something greater than men running around in their underwear. Adolph Rupp, and the broader American consciousness, were schooled in tolerance and inclusion by Al in a fashion that was instantly understandable.

Sure was. Still wouldn’t be a coach today.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »
Keefe is smart

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
While everyone knows MU will never be Villanova, could we be as good as Creighton? With the right coach I think we could be as good as Creighton.

In my eyes, that's not too much to ask. Granted, they got to where they are because they found a solid coach and kept him on even as his stock grew over the years. Schools like Creighton, Wichita State, VCU, and Butler are the pipe dream for most non-Blue-Blood programs. Those stories aren't impossible to achieve, but they're very tough to replicate.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 11:07:53 PM »

RUCKER PARK

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »

Al McGuire would be one of the finest coaches in America today.

Leadership is an art. Al McGuire was a Rothko or Jackson Pollack.   

Death on call

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »
I agree. No way in hell I could see lightweight Lovell allowing Slick Rick. No way Al McGuire would be allowed to coach MU under this BOT and President.

The BOT plan is to get Marquette into the Ivy League.  Good luck.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 11:41:03 PM »
Oops.  Yes.  Long day.

But 33 should also be enough time to realize Marquette  can be very good some years, but probably not "upper echelon"  year after year.  43 years is just stupid long to not realize that.

I would consider Gonzaga to be a top tier program even though they haven't won a championship. Same goes for schools like Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, and Indiana. They've had their glory days at the top of the college basketball world, but it's been a while since they've been there. You don't have to win championships year after year to separate yourself from the rest of the field as a top program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 11:48:17 PM »
In my eyes, that's not too much to ask. Granted, they got to where they are because they found a solid coach and kept him on even as his stock grew over the years. Schools like Creighton, Wichita State, VCU, and Butler are the pipe dream for most non-Blue-Blood programs. Those stories aren't impossible to achieve, but they're very tough to replicate.

Creighton has 12 total NCAA Tournament wins and hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 since before MU last won a national title. VCU has a single Sweet Sixteen in their history, which came in a miracle Final Four run when they shouldn’t have even made the Tournament. Those programs are a “pipe dream” for most non-blue bloods?

My god.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 11:53:50 PM »

Yeah imagine how insufferable this fan base, and especially the meat eaters, would be if we hired some dude who went 24-3 and 21-2 at Belmont Abbey his first two years and his last 2 years before we hired him away from them he went 7-21 and 6-18.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »
Great post. Intriguing to think about Slick Rick patrolling the sidelines.
Yes, that would be entertaining. MU would need to open a thoroughbred track to help entice Rick and then Northern Colt will be on board. Now does anybody know of an Italian eatery that can be used as Rick's headquarters with accommodations similar to a table at Porcinis?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »

And Wade, Hutch, Zar and Jae wouldn't be admitted today, but the school felt the need to honor them this year.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »

Great post.  Wish I was 20 years older to have been able to experience the 70s at MU under Al.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »
And Wade, Hutch, Zar and Jae wouldn't be admitted today, but the school felt the need to honor them this year.

And therein you have the ultimate hypocrisy of this PC movement.  Talk about using kids.  "Hey, we really don't want your academic profile at MU anymore, but we sure love to use and champion your success for our benefit."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »

Yeah that's what bugs me the most. Especially with Jae, as he was made an example of when they adjusted the standards.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »
Great post.  Wish I was 20 years older to have been able to experience the 70s at MU under Al.

The pain in my left knee says “be careful what you wish for.”
Ludum habemus.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »
Yeah imagine how insufferable this fan base, and especially the meat eaters, would be if we hired some dude who went 24-3 and 21-2 at Belmont Abbey his first two years and his last 2 years before we hired him away from them he went 7-21 and 6-18.

No.  Al would have opened his mouth for the first time at his presser and everyone, meat eaters included, would have said this dude is something else.  Wojo’s inability to ever say anything insightful is what had so many ppl down on him from the jump.   Just not much there. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 11:36:23 AM »
Well, except the past 33 years says otherwise...
Yea and the past 6 also say otherwise, but there is no reason we should not have higher expectations if we find the right guy. The resources are there but apathy amongst the fan base and admin. has definitely become pervasive.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 02:01:02 PM »
Back to Creighton...Zegarowski injured his knee with 40 seconds left and had to be helped off the court. If it’s a serious knee injury, this will be like when Dominic James got hurt. They are not close to the same team without him.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire