Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jon Scheyer or Bobby Hurley for head coach  (Read 6325 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Jon Scheyer or Bobby Hurley for head coach
« on: March 06, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »
No this is not a joke.  Scheyer is one sharp dude who has Illinois connections. Zion, Tatum etc.  Gamble but high potential ceiling hire.

Hurley cut his teeth outside duke program and seems to get the most out of his talent.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Jon Scheyer or Bobby Hurley for head coach
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 01:21:15 AM »
i like hurley a lot, but what's the give coming up here from Az state...not the pom and dance club
don't...don't don't don't don't

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:17:59 AM »
Scheyer has essentially followed the same career path as Wojo prior to Marquette:  Never leave the soft bubble of Duke.  And I think Wojo’s lack of success at MU may have screwed Scheyer some; Scheyer will probably need to take a smaller job to prove himself now.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 06:20:13 AM »
Jon Scheyer single-handedly knocked my high school out of the ISHA playoffs my junior year.  I still haven't forgiven him.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 06:28:48 AM »
Never, ever, hire a Duke assistant.  Their record of success is poor, and if one of them shows exceptional ability, that individual is next in line to replace Coach K.  There is no long-term upside to a Duke assistant hire.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 06:32:42 AM »
So a guy who’s done exactly what Wojo has prior to coming to MU. Or a guy who wouldn’t take MU’s call and who’s coached D1 basketball for 7 years (2 at a very good mid major and 5 at a high major) and has 0 NCAA Tournament wins. Sub .500 in his 5 years in a (bad) high major conference.

Nojos are very, very intelligent.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:38:09 AM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 06:50:23 AM »
Hurley won his conference twice in a row and took buffalo to their first ever ncaas.   Sun Devils are headed towards top of conference from what he inherited.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
Jon Scheyer single-handedly knocked my high school out of the ISHA playoffs my junior year.  I still haven't forgiven him.

Same.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:36:20 AM »
So a guy who’s done exactly what Wojo has prior to coming to MU. Or a guy who wouldn’t take MU’s call and who’s coached D1 basketball for 7 years (2 at a very good mid major and 5 at a high major) and has 0 NCAA Tournament wins. Sub .500 in his 5 years in a (bad) high major conference.

Nojos are very, very intelligent

your comment might have been a decent one wades, but then ya have to soil it all up with an unnecessary dig-wonder why this board digresses into personal p!ssing matches. maintain little man...maintain a little

i realized that hurley's career tended to resemble  wojos from a statistic point of view, but one thing bobby hurley seems to have over wojo is that he seems to have a better repertoire/relationship with his players.  they want to play for the dude and he fights for his players.  he also changes things up a little more without being a one trick pony 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
Are you putting up the money for Wojo's contract buyout?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
If those are the options I'm sticking with Wojo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »
Wait wait wait we're upset about our collapses wasn't it a few years back ASU was ranked up to no 3 and ended up in the play in game?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
Are you putting up the money for Wojo's contract buyout?

This was discussed in another thread, but I don’t think anyone knows what Wojo’s buyout is.  It might not be an obstacle at all.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
Hurley won his conference twice in a row and took buffalo to their first ever ncaas.   Sun Devils are headed towards top of conference from what he inherited.

Bobby Hurley will not be coming to Milwaukee.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »
GOOD ! ! !   8-)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
The thought of Scheyer coaching the Warriors makes me throw up in my mouth even more than when Wojo was hired.
No Finish Line

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »
Never, ever, hire a Duke assistant.  Their record of success is poor, and if one of them shows exceptional ability, that individual is next in line to replace Coach K.  There is no long-term upside to a Duke assistant hire.

Henderson - major flop
Amaker - mediocre at two majors, good at an Ivy where he has advantages others don't have that actually led to Ivy rule changes.
Snyder - mediocre and a cheater (and cocaine issues K covered up for him)
Capel - good at a mid-major, flopped at a major
Collins - two good years, otherwise...
Wojo - mediocre

Yeah, let's go the Duke route again
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »
Henderson - major flop
Amaker - mediocre at two majors, good at an Ivy where he has advantages others don't have that actually led to Ivy rule changes.
Wojo - mediocre

Collins has been okay at a program that's never won before. Snyder has been excellent as an NBA coach. Wojo will have 3 tournaments in 4 years. Amaker struggled initially but has come into his own.

Easy to frame things in a way that supports your opinion.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
Collins has been okay at a program that's never won before. Snyder has been excellent as an NBA coach. Wojo will have 3 tournaments in 4 years. Amaker struggled initially but has come into his own.

Easy to frame things in a way that supports your opinion.

Collins has not built on his limited success. Rutgers has passed him by. Rutgers.
Snyder's success as an NBA coach is not pertinent to his failures as a college coach
Amaker came into his own but Harvard has built-in advantages over other Ivy schools and some of the things he was doing led to rules changes. He wouldn't have those advantages at most other schools.

I personally don't think Wojo has been "mediocre" but that seems to be the opinion of many here. That said, he hasn't been a great success either.

However, in the end I would not hire another Duke assistant.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
Collins has not built on his limited success. Rutgers has passed him by. Rutgers.
Snyder's success as an NBA coach is not pertinent to his failures as a college coach
Amaker came into his own but Harvard has built-in advantages over other Ivy schools and some of the things he was doing led to rules changes. He wouldn't have those advantages at most other schools.

I personally don't think Wojo has been "mediocre" but that seems to be the opinion of many here. That said, he hasn't been a great success either.

I mostly agree with you. I just think it's more that Duke guys tend to take awhile to learn on the job due to the way K runs things. We'll see how Collins and Wojo do over the next 15-20 years, wherever they may be.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »

Collins' star has fallen immensely since the 2017 tournament appearance.  Since then, NU has gone 11-44 in B1G play, and 34-57 overall.  Recruiting did not see a substantial boost after their tournament run (unlike Loyola, which has immensely improved their recruiting since their F4 run).  NU doesn't have any big recruits coming in next year, so there is little reason to believe Collins will turn it around then either.  A head coach can only sustain so many losing seasons together before he/she is ultimately let go, or pursues other opportunities.  Unfortunately, I don't think Collins remains at NU long-term (NU is a very hard gig to get sustainable success at). 

Snyder's success at the NBA level should reveal why he will not be considered for any college job.  Even if he got let go from the Jazz, he has built-up enough credibility and reputation as an NBA head coach that he should have no problem getting another gig.  He doesn't have to return to college, nor should he.  He is having much success with the Jazz; no reason to think he makes a jump anytime soon.

Amaker (and also, IMO, Jeff Capel) succeeded at their first stops (Seton Hall/VCU, respectively), failed at their next stops (Michigan/Oklahoma, respectively) and appear to be long-term fits at their respective schools (Harvard/Pitt).  I don't think either will be quick to make a perceived lateral-move since both have been fired and failed at big(ger) head coaching jobs.  Both stops allow them to be consistent tournament teams, with potential to have a run every now and then.  They are appreciated and admired from their current schools, it would take a lot to get them to move.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
Henderson - major flop
Wojo - mediocre

I wonder if coaching McDonald's All Americans year in and year out tends to overstate the quality of the assistant coaches?  Hmmm....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
Bobby Hurley will not be coming to Milwaukee.

in all fairness, i never really expected him to, but i was just saying that i like the guy, his demeanor, his repertoire(as it seems) with his players.  whether or not that all plays into him being successful or not?  as i've had a home in Az for about 10 years, i've kinda adopted Az state as my 2nd school, that's all

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »
  in all fairness, i never really expected him to, but i was just saying that i like the guy, his demeanor, his repertoire(as it seems) with his players.  whether or not that all plays into him being successful or not?  as i've had a home in Az for about 10 years, i've kinda adopted Az state as my 2nd school, that's all

I have a place in Scottsdale. Great in the winter. Tempe versus Milwaukee would be a tough sell.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
Henderson - major flop
Wojo - mediocre

Brey. National coach of the year 2011 and 2012.  500+ wins.  A few Elite 8’s, second place finishes in ACC and old Big East.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback