[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This was one of those games that ....  (Read 10873 times)

MUBBau

• Team Captain
Re: This was one of those games that ....
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2020, 07:43:49 AM »
Whether they go in or not has nothing to do with chucking.  Incredible take

The offense wasn't terrible in the Hall game and hasn't been terrible this season.  My point is I would love to see more continuity, both for results (winning formula and player improvement (something this team is sorely lacking).  Anyone who has coached or played the game knows that the star is going to get his, Willard said it himself.  The difference is getting the 2nd and 3rd options involved.  Too often we play into the opponents hands.

Sacar took 1 fewer shots than Markus in the first half, how many more shots are required so that he is considered "involved" in the offense?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Chucking is a derogatory term that implies a bad shot (miss). How many 3's did he take in the first half. Markus was not the problem with the offense. Others missing shots were.
Markus absolutely is a chucker from time to time, but Seton Hall was not one of those days.  Maybe 1 or 2 of the 9 3's were questionable, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I'm not a fan of the way we play with Markus, but his last two games at the Fiserv he was great (although 6 turnovers Saturday was not great).

The other guys being 4-17 was very bad, because they only take open, in rhythm shots.  I agree with those that say the offense was fine Saturday and the defense was atrocious.  There were times in the first half where Seton Hall seemed to have 3 guys wide open.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »

The offense wasn't terrible in the Hall game and hasn't been terrible this season.  My point is I would love to see more continuity, both for results (winning formula and player improvement (something this team is sorely lacking).  Anyone who has coached or played the game knows that the star is going to get his, Willard said it himself.  The difference is getting the 2nd and 3rd options involved.  Too often we play into the opponents hands. 

They were definitely involved in that game.  They had open shots within the flow of the offense.  And they missed them.  "Anyone who has coached or played the game knows" that the other players actually have to step up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »

I’m sure Willard was happy with the worst defensive performance by SH this year. The only way this makes sense, is if last week Willard decided not to game plan for any defense and just figured “Marquette sucks on defense, we will just out score them.”
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:44:06 AM by MUDPT »

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
Sure your right, keep allowing Markus to set scoring records, while the team shows little improvement as individuals or as a team.  It's been very entertaining watching Markus for the last 4 seasons.  Too bad it hasn't been enjoyable at all to watch Marquette. 
But by all means keep up the narrative that this disappointing season (and the last 5) have been because of "players not stepping up." ::)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
Sure your right, keep allowing Markus to set scoring records, while the team shows little improvement as individuals or as a team.  It's been very entertaining watching Markus for the last 4 seasons.  Too bad it hasn't been enjoyable at all to watch Marquette. 
But by all means keep up the narrative that this disappointing season (and the last 5) have been because of "players not stepping up." ::)
There have been games where Markus has shot us out of games. This is not one of them.

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
There have been games where Markus has shot us out of games. This is not one of them.
Agree 100%

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
Agree 100%

You agree? Basically all of your posts in this thread say the loss is due to Markus chucking/padding his stats.

Wut?

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
You agree? Basically all of your posts in this thread say the loss is due to Markus chucking/padding his stats.

Wut?
No I didn't say that at all, and I put none of this on Markus.  My frustration comes from Wojo's inability to get his guys to play as a team on both sides of the ball.  The lack of wins with a player of Markus's caliber is disturbing.  Not sure how that is even debatable or controversial?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
No I didn't say that at all, and I put none of this on Markus.  My frustration comes from Wojo's inability to get his guys to play as a team on both sides of the ball.  The lack of wins with a player of Markus's caliber is disturbing.  Not sure how that is even debatable or controversial?

The teams that had overall #1 selection in the 2018, 2017, and 2016 NBA drafts did not win an NCAA tournament game. Two of those three teams did not make the tournament. And all of them had a 2nd best player that was better than Sacar.

This isn't unprecedented. I wish we had a lot more success but it's not like this is just a Marquette issue. "Disturbing" is an overreaction.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
One game after Marquette set season highs in Big East play with 93 points and 23 assists, the team seemingly forgot how to run effective offense.

Why bother with ball movement? Or working to find the open man? Dribbling the ball around the perimeter and straight into double-teams is a great way to create good looks at the basket, right?

That's actually beside the point. Marquette is 2-6 this season when giving up 80 points or more. And this was quite possibly the worst defensive performance of the season. MU gave up 88 points at home to a Seton Hall team that averages 75 a game. It was Seton Hall's highest scoring output in Big East play. Ugh. The defensive letdown was a far bigger factor in the loss than the offense falling flat. We simply weren't competitive for most of the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They're a very good team. But this was the most discouraging loss of the season for me. With the conference tournament just around the corner, Marquette doesn't exactly look like it's playing its best ball.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2020, 04:42:29 PM »
The teams that had overall #1 selection in the 2018, 2017, and 2016 NBA drafts did not win an NCAA tournament game. Two of those three teams did not make the tournament. And all of them had a 2nd best player that was better than Sacar.

This isn't unprecedented. I wish we had a lot more success but it's not like this is just a Marquette issue. "Disturbing" is an overreaction.

Yes. Very much an overreaction. Especially considering that Markus is a scorer but far from a point guard. This team lacks a true facilitator and has for quite some time. A guy that has that third eye to read defenses and get his teammates the easiest of looks. Markus occasionally finds guys due to double teams, but their shooting from deep has been rather inconsistent other than Anim. With that said, he's a shooting guard in a point guard's body.

The idea that guys haven't improved is silly. Truthfully I was unsure if Anim would even finish his career at MU and he worked his way up to being a very solid Big East player. Bailey's season has been up and down but certainly has progressed from last year. Cain has improved this year. Elliott to be decided. Jayce has been a pleasant surprise. Theo is playing under where I hoped he would be at this point. I just think some of his issues are hard to coach. Like big man savviness. Sometimes one is just a good rebounder because of an innate knack for knowing where the ball will bounce.

And then of course Koby has been a total enigma. He's helped win a couple games, had some showtime moments during close losses, but most of the time just lives in his own head. Preseason reports on his performance raised expectations. It seems most here, including myself, were expecting him to be a strong secondary player to Markus and one of the team leaders. Now he's slowly losing minutes to Torrence with his bad play. Just unrealistic for things to work out perfectly for every player with an upwards trajectory.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2020, 07:01:14 PM »
One game after Marquette set season highs in Big East play with 93 points and 23 assists, the team seemingly forgot how to run effective offense.

Why bother with ball movement? Or working to find the open man? Dribbling the ball around the perimeter and straight into double-teams is a great way to create good looks at the basket, right?

That's actually beside the point. Marquette is 2-6 this season when giving up 80 points or more. And this was quite possibly the worst defensive performance of the season. MU gave up 88 points at home to a Seton Hall team that averages 75 a game. It was Seton Hall's highest scoring output in Big East play. Ugh. The defensive letdown was a far bigger factor in the loss than the offense falling flat. We simply weren't competitive for most of the game.

Give Seton Hall credit. They're a very good team. But this was the most discouraging loss of the season for me. With the conference tournament just around the corner, Marquette doesn't exactly look like it's playing its best ball.
Marquette does very well when they are not physically outmanned. Georgetown has a very short roster with mostly players that are built like Cain. Physically we cannot compete with physical teams like Providence and Seton Hall, especially if the refs are not going to call fouls.