[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Talent  (Read 9283 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Re: Talent
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2020, 04:16:15 PM »
Get a real point guard and he makes everyone better.Like Tony Miller made Mac,Key,Eford and Logterman better.Why we didn't offer McKinley Wright after Archie left Dayton and went to Indiana.Big mistake.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
You need talent or a coach. Wojo needs better player based off his coaching success. Only way will ever be success is if he lands studs and more than one.

Why "or"? I think you need both. Why should the players have to prop up a coach? That is not exactly what you said but that's the way I see it. Doesn't seem right to me. They have to perform but he does not?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
Scoop
Talented players have hid a lot coaching flaws over the years. Of course you want both, but cannot win on big stage without one or the other. My preference is talent, but would take great coaching at the moment.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
Porky is with the OP on this.  Our players are just not as good as we all want them to be and it’s a simple as that.  Other than Markus talent is average at best.  Sure the coaching staff deserves some of the blame but how a good can we realistically be if it’s all about the 3 ball?  We have no transition game or paint game whatsoever, and on the rare occasions where one of our guys gets a fast break for an open dunk they miss 50% of the time.  it’s hard to blame those on the coaching staff.   The Creighton game I can understand.  How often do we have four players score in double figures and still lose? Not often but they’re one of the best teams in the country and the surprise of the conference this year so that loss, disappointing though it was, Porky can live with.    Today’s, not so much but I think it has far more to do with mediocre one dimensional players, than the staff.  At the end of the day we all want to be a blue blood and we’re just not.  The sad thing is until we have some tournament success over A multi year period, I don’t see the talent getting much better no matter who the Head coach and remainder of the staff is.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
Wojo can’t want it more than the guys. I am not a projo. As the quote on my 13 year olds wall says, “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” They are talented, we have seen it. Work harder.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 09:36:47 PM »
Not necessarily all talent. Part of it is playing as a team. I would argue Marquette has more talent than SDSU

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 10:25:56 PM »
Still not sold on Bailey. Thought by now Cain, John, Anim and Bailey
would show more consistency in their shooting and BB Smarts after
their years at MU.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »
Teams are winning and being successful with a lot less talent than MU.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
Teams are winning and being successful with a lot less talent than MU.

Where? Show me a few teams who are more successful than MU with a 2nd best player worse than Sacar.

I'm sure they exist. I like Sacar. He's probably my favorite player on this team. But our talent 2-9 is not great.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »
Where? Show me a few teams who are more successful than MU with a 2nd best player worse than Sacar.

I'm sure they exist. I like Sacar. He's probably my favorite player on this team. But our talent 2-9 is not great.
I think based upon recruiting rankings, which ProJo's will tell you is a big reason to keep him because next years class is 'ranked so high', that you could argue MU has better talent than the following Top 25 teams:
SDSU
Dayton
Penn State
Creighton
Seton Hall
West Virginia
Colorado
Iowa
Butler
Huston
BYU

Recruiting rankings aside, you maybe correct and Wojo does not have a good eye for high school talent; which means none of us should be too excited for next year's class.

FWIW, I'm 100% for Wojo being back at MU next year. The good  outweighs the bad.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
All 4 teams ahead of MU in standings plus Butler who is tied has better point guard play than MU.Coincidence?I think not

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »
MU and DePaul are the only two teams in the Big East that average more turnovers than assists per game.Let that soak in UnleashJayce

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
I think based upon recruiting rankings, which ProJo's will tell you is a big reason to keep him because next years class is 'ranked so high', that you could argue MU has better talent than the following Top 25 teams:
SDSU
Dayton
Penn State
Creighton
Seton Hall
West Virginia
Colorado
Iowa
Butler
Huston
BYU

Recruiting rankings aside, you maybe correct and Wojo does not have a good eye for high school talent; which means none of us should be too excited for next year's class.

FWIW, I'm 100% for Wojo being back at MU next year. The good  outweighs the bad.

Dawson is the real deal, other 2 not sure, but how this coach uses him is a different story

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
As much as loathe the Badgers, for the past twenty years including this year’s team, they play better in February , while our beloved Warriors play worse.  The difference is coaching. The Badgers take mediocre talent and coach them up while Marquette’s more talented players don’t improve.  Wish it weren’t so.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
SDSU
Dayton
Penn State
Creighton
Seton Hall
West Virginia
Colorado
Iowa
Butler
Huston
BYU

Enlighten us on how the good outweighs the bad. Results matter
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
As much as loathe the Badgers, for the past twenty years including this year’s team, they play better in February , while our beloved Warriors play worse.  The difference is coaching. The Badgers take mediocre talent and coach them up while Marquette’s more talented players don’t improve.  Wish it weren’t so.
MU May have more talented athletes, but Wisconsin has smarter players and one major difference is there centers can score from inside and outside, much more opportunities to stretch the court

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
For all you experts.How many more wins would MU have if Colin Gillespie was the point guard instead of McEwen and what would be Villanova record if McEwen was the point guard instead of Gillespie?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »
Enlighten us on how the good outweighs the bad. Results matter
Fair question. First he seems to be a great person and his players seem to be quality young men. Check in the 'good' side. It appears he'll have gone to his 3rd NCAA in 4 years. We'll have at least made brief appearances in the Top 25 the past 2 years. He can recruit against other big time programs and win. Next years class looks promising.

Negatives: Player development, game coaching (he's better than 6 years ago but I haven't seen much growth the past 2 years), roster construction (lack of a PG is unbelievable), having to rely on MH too much.

I do support him coming back but I would not be surprised at all if last year was the 'high water mark' of Wojo's time at MU.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
SDSU
Dayton
Penn State
Creighton
Seton Hall
West Virginia
Colorado
Iowa
Butler
Huston
BYU

Butler is the only team that's even close to MU in talent. Everyone else has far more. Markus is better than Baldwin, their 2-4 are better but our roster may be more complete. We have nobody who can break down a defense consistently other than Markus. We have guys who shoot good percentages from deep but can't create seperation to get those shots. Our bigs are incredibly slow and mechanical.

All my opinion, of course.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »
If it is a talent issue, then Wojo must be a genius as a game coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 04:20:19 PM »
When you consider how unreliable starters like Koby, Sacar & Brendan actually are, I give some credit to the staff for being .500 in conference. It doesn't get much better when Jamal Cain comes in, either.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
If it is a talent issue, then Wojo must be a genius as a game coach.

I don't think he's a genius. I just think his recruiting is a bit overrated and his X's and O's are a bit underrated. He's pretty average in all facets. The improved recruiting should help.

I think player development (outside of shooting) is my biggest concern.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Regarding talent, how many players recruited by Buzz went on to play in the NBA, and how many players recruited by Wojo have played in the NBA? Anybody know?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
When you consider how unreliable starters like Koby, Sacar & Brendan actually are, I give some credit to the staff for being .500 in conference. It doesn't get much better when Jamal Cain comes in, either.
Good grief. Now we should celebrate being .500 in conference
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Bottom line is whether the problem is lack of talent or lack of coaching ability, the finger has to point to Woj. He's da dude in in charge and as such is 100% responsible for the product he puts out on the court, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback