[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Talent  (Read 9280 times)

BM1090

• All American
Talent
« on: February 22, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »
The coaching has been ripped today and rightfully so, but am I the only one who thinks it is more of a talent issue?

I said this in the game thread but wanted to ask further. On how many Big East teams other than MU is Sacar the 2nd best player? One?

The Lens

• All American
Re: Talent
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Well the coach let two very talented players walk so it sort of is a coaching issue. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
The coach is responsible for the talent on his team. The coach is responsible for developing the talent. This is all on the coach.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
The coaching has been ripped today and rightfully so, but am I the only one who thinks it is more of a talent issue?

I said this in the game thread but wanted to ask further. On how many Big East teams other than MU is Sacar the 2nd best player? One?
You are correct! Who the hell is responsible for bringing in talent. That person should be fired!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
Okay. To be clear, I'm very aware Wojo is responsible for the talent brought in. He's the CEO.

To me, it just seems like the talent is a bigger issue than X's and O's.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »

How talented are Providence’s players?  Are they that much more talented than our guys that they ran circles around us on offense and had, what, 8-10 dunks in the game? 

It’s all about system. Our offense is designed to get one guy open looks and that has been taken away by even semi-competent teams. If he doesn’t get that look, it completely falls apart.

Our defense got annihilated because Cooley got his guys to run sets that got them wide open looks on cuts to the rim all freaking game. We successfully do that less than 10 times a game and that’s being generous.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
How talented are Providence’s players?  Are they that much more talented than our guys that they ran circles around us on offense and had, what, 8-10 dunks in the game? 

It’s all about system. Our offense is designed to get one guy open looks and that has been taken away by even semi-competent teams. If he doesn’t get that look, it completely falls apart.

Our defense got annihilated because Cooley got his guys to run sets that got them wide open looks on cuts to the rim all freaking game. We successfully do that less than 10 times a game and that’s being generous.

Yeah, other than Markus I think they are.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »
Many people think of Wojo as a good recruiter and a less than average or poor coach. The problem with that is the players he brings in are typically not as good as those on most other Big East teams. So he either can’t identify talent, can’t develop or understand how to use the talent he has, or can’t coach. It could be a combination of the above. He also refuses to recruit or play an actual point guard or run any actual offensive sets, so that’s a problem.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
You need talent or a coach. Wojo needs better player based off his coaching success. Only way will ever be success is if he lands studs and more than one.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
As Buzz said in one his “life lesson” videos...They all have talent, otherwise they wouldn’t be D1 players. They need to become talent...ED. The “ED” standing for “Extra Dimension.” Right now, it seems it may just be erectile dysfunction with this program.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »
The lack of talent starts at the basic level with them. They either lack the focus or the repetitions to make basic basketball plays without hesitating or turning it over.

Who is biting on a ball fake from anyone other than Markus? The numbers say teams should, but the fakes themselves are so bad that the defense can sniff it out.

How many travels have we seen on a basic fake and rip through? The footwork isn't there. Same with the post play. Awful footwork.

Screening... watch MU screen in the half court away from the ball. It's pathetic. They're barely making contact with the defender. And part of that, of course, is on the cutter.

And on defense, the footwork on closeouts is not good. They fly at guys and end up forcing help situations.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
I think they just don't know what to do if Markus isn't chucking 'em in. No plan B

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
The lack of talent starts at the basic level with them. They either lack the focus or the repetitions to make basic basketball plays without hesitating or turning it over.

Who is biting on a ball fake from anyone other than Markus? The numbers say teams should, but the fakes themselves are so bad that the defense can sniff it out.

How many travels have we seen on a basic fake and rip through? The footwork isn't there. Same with the post play. Awful footwork.

Screening... watch MU screen in the half court away from the ball. It's pathetic. They're barely making contact with the defender. And part of that, of course, is on the cutter.

And on defense, the footwork on closeouts is not good. They fly at guys and end up forcing help situations.

I think I agree with most of this. He's  a good teacher of shooting but beyond that I'm not sure. Markus has good footwork. So did the Hausers. But I'm not sure that was taught at MU.

I think we're lacking basketball players.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

I mean, we saw the practice video where Ed clearly traveled and MU thought to post it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 02:37:06 PM »
I think I agree with most of this. He's  a good teacher of shooting but beyond that I'm not sure. Markus has good footwork. So did the Hausers. But I'm not sure that was taught at MU.

There are some reoccurring basketball fundamentals problems that keep occurring.  The ones most apparent today were Koby dribbling without purpose, the traveling issues and Theo dribbling under the basket.  Those are things that should be drilled in practice and are kind of elementary.   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 02:37:22 PM »

Yup. Good athletes but not a lot of basketball players.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
Need a consistent second scorer and they do not have that guy, simple

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »

Which is funny because we had more basketball players in the past few years, but the board seemed to believe we were missing the athletes

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »

I’d say he’s recruited good shooters. Not sure I’m willing to say he’s taught some of the elite shooters we have/have had to shoot like that. I’d also say these elite shooters have lead to a misconception that Wojo knows how to design an effective offense. This year’s team has really exposed his inability to do so.
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
Ive gotten ripped for it but ive said all along Sacar is not any good.  He will have the occasional good game but apart from OK 3 pt shooting, does nothing else even near average.  His 1-6 like today is quite normal, actually 1-8 or 2-12, is more Sacar like. Unfortunately Brendan has disappeared, doesnt even rebound anymore, very soft.  And Koby is a season long absolute disaster, zero assists today and My goodness how many terrible turnovers?
That leaves us Markus n the 5 spot.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
I’d say he’s recruited good shooters. Not sure I’m willing to say he’s taught some of the elite shooters we have/have had to shoot like that. I’d also say these elite shooters have lead to a misconception that Wojo knows how to design an effective offense. This year’s team has really exposed his inability to do so.

Wojo hit the lottery in pure shooting talent in Markus, Rowsey, Sam. Fact that team was NIT should have been major red flag that high level winning wasn’t going to happen with his coaching chops (If years 1 and 2 weren’t enough).

The “Wojo’s Playbook,” cartoon hung at Renee Row was not that far off.

Wojo is a good guy. Good heart. Recruited some good kids. However, he doesn’t have “it,” and ultimately isn’t bright enough to figure out how to coax more out of a team - other than to “fight,” “compete,” “play angry.” 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
Look at this, the players coming in next year will get lots of playing time, good or bad they will be thrown into the fray quickly

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
wojo isn't a motivator.   he isn't passionate enough.  he doesn't seem to challenge the players to be better.  not saying everyone needs to be huggy bear or jim calhoun, but those 2 dudes got into faces.  they'd get T'd up and their players got jazzed.  we all know Al got a few bad technicals, but he made more than he missed.  wojo doesn't seem to fight for his guys and that breeds complacency like, win or lose, they're all just waiting for the post game fruit rollups and juice boxes
don't...don't don't don't don't

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »
Wojo hit the lottery in pure shooting talent in Markus, Rowsey, Sam. Fact that team was NIT should have been major red flag that high level winning wasn’t going to happen with his coaching chops (If years 1 and 2 weren’t enough).

The “Wojo’s Playbook,” cartoon hung at Renee Row was not that far off.

Wojo is a good guy. Good heart. Recruited some good kids. However, he doesn’t have “it,” and ultimately isn’t bright enough to figure out how to coax more out of a team - other than to “fight,” “compete,” “play angry.”

You forgot "breathe" followed by Wojo showing them how to take a deep breath. That went well.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »
wojo isn't a motivator.   he isn't passionate enough.  he doesn't seem to challenge the players to be better.  not saying everyone needs to be huggy bear or jim calhoun, but those 2 dudes got into faces.  they'd get T'd up and their players got jazzed.  we all know Al got a few bad technicals, but he made more than he missed.  wojo doesn't seem to fight for his guys and that breeds complacency like, win or lose, they're all just waiting for the post game fruit rollups and juice boxes

I’ve been hoping Wojo would get T’d up to light a fire under the team for the past 3 games. It’s sad it has come to that but I feel it could have gotten the crowd into it against Creighton.

I always thought the white T shirt move in Brooklyn was a good motivation tactic, but he crapped all over that by calling it a gimmick later in the year. He had something the team bought into and basically dismissed it later in the year.

feedback