[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020-21 question  (Read 6233 times)

Afroman

• All American
2020-21 question
« on: February 15, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »
How many returning players from this season's roster do you see starting next season?
Can you envision any of the returning starters coming off the bench?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2020-21 question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
Theo, Bailey, McKewan are locks. Dawson most likely starting. If Mane comes he probably does too, if not I’d go Symir but could be any of Symir, Greg, or Jamal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »
Theo, Bailey, McEwen are locks. Dawson most likely starting. If Mane comes he probably does too, if not I’d go Symir but could be any of Symir, Greg, or Jamal.

This sounds about right. (Also, FIFY.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
Dawson or bailly at the 3? Super tall line up

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
Bailey and Garcia will be interchangeable in the 4-out offense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »
Dawson or bailly at the 3? Super tall line up

I’d probably have Bailey at the 3. I think Dawson is a bit bigger bodied, can score in the post/with his back to the basket, and Bailey is a bit more athletic and would be (much) better guarding the perimeter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
Offense will not be an issue next year.  Getting freshmen to play defense and wrestle Big East 4s and 5s is going to be the issue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
Offense will not be an issue next year.  Getting freshmen to play defense and wrestle Big East 4s and 5s is going to be the issue.

Not sure I’d say offense won’t be an issue next year if* we don’t land Mane.

We need someone who can really breakdown a defense off the dribble. Koby can somewhat, perhaps Symir can improve his quickness to be able to do so - but things are going to get A LOT tougher for these guys with no Markus Howard to gameplan for.

Would be fascinating to see Wojo roll Dawson Garcia out at PG. He’s got a strong handle and is much more perimeter oriented offensively.

Lineup of Dawson, McEwen, Cain, Bailey, Theo could really be strong defensively.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
Lineup of Dawson, McEwen, Cain, Bailey, Theo could really be strong defensively.

If we get a transfer big who can backup Theo. I am sure Lewis could play the 5 but frosh make nervous to rely on defensively. And we would already have Garcia and potentially Mane in the rotation.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »
I predict a grad transfer will start at 4 or 5.  Kobe and BB are locks, Theo probable for starting slots but the wing and another big are missing.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »
10 months ago, many were convinced this team would be unable to score.  Statistically speaking, this team is just fine.
Fans always wonder where the scoring is going to come from.   Stop.   Wojo has the pieces to play offense.   Worry about freshmen understanding effort, defense,
defensive rotations, and competing on the boards in an elite conference.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »

We need someone who can really breakdown a defense off the dribble. Koby can somewhat, perhaps Symir can improve his quickness to be able to do so - but things are going to get A LOT tougher for these guys with no Markus Howard to gameplan for.

Would be fascinating to see Wojo roll Dawson Garcia out at PG. He’s got a strong handle and is much more perimeter oriented offensively.

I don’t think Dawson’s handles are any better than what Henry’s or Joey’s were. Good for a big, good enough to get the defensive rebound and initiate the transition game himself, but I certainly don’t think he has the ability to play point guard. And I don’t expect him to be strong defensively next year, especially on the perimeter (but you can hide him on the weakest ball handler/player on the opposition).

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
10 months ago, many were convinced this team would be unable to score.  Statistically speaking, this team is just fine.
Fans always wonder where the scoring is going to come from.   Stop.   Wojo has the pieces to play offense.   Worry about freshmen understanding effort, defense,
defensive rotations, and competing on the boards in an elite conference.

I would wager that we will have a better D-Rating next year, than O-Rating.  What say you, Tower?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
I don't bet.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »
I don’t think Dawson’s handles are any better than what Henry’s or Joey’s were. Good for a big, good enough to get the defensive rebound and initiate the transition game himself, but I certainly don’t think he has the ability to play point guard. And I don’t expect him to be strong defensively next year, especially on the perimeter (but you can hide him on the weakest ball handler/player on the opposition).

Having recently watched Dawson play, I came away really impressed with his handle.  Never saw Joey or Henry play at HS level to compare though.

We also are more in this position-less phase of basketball - just need someone who can initiate the offense.  Opposing coach would have to put a big on Dawson defensively as he could shoot pretty well over a standard guard - which serves purpose of drawing opposition's big/second biggest away from basket.

Unconventional?  Yes, however wouldn't be totally surprised to see Wojo experiment with this early in the season.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
I don't bet.

Well that guarantees you'll never be a loser.   8-)

That aside if you had to make that wager, which side would you take?  Do you feel the probability is higher that we will be better offensively or defensively next year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
I think our O will be better than our D.   Freshmen are usually farther ahead offensively than defensively.   Yeah, that is an easy generalization, but I will stay with it until I see otherwise.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 08:19:05 PM »
I think our O will be better than our D.   Freshmen are usually farther ahead offensively than defensively.   Yeah, that is an easy generalization, but I will stay with it until I see otherwise.

Agreed. That, along with Wojo's ability to get the most out of his offenses. Frankly, this looked like the year for the defense to break through. I have a lot more confidence in the offense simply because history has generally shown this staff to be better on that end.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
Not sure why I feel so strongly about this, maybe it’s because the team will be losing 40ppg between Markus and Sacar, but I really think getting buckets will be a big issue next season.

I think part of it will be because we are so used to seeing offensive outbursts in the last 4 seasons and part of it will be because the team will be losing one elite and another very good offensive talent. Sure someone will attempt to step into the roles and greatly improve offensively, but I can see a lot of low scoring games next season.

I understand the being young will cause defensive struggles argument, but MU will be very tall/long the next several years and I think that’ll help defensively. Theo in the middle (one of the best defensive 5s in the BE), Kobe at guard (one of the better defensive and rebounding guards in the conference), and Brendan/Cain at 3/4 (very good defensively and strong rebounding capabilities), all getting heavy minutes will help. Three incoming front court players with solid length and athleticism to fill in will suffice, even though I can really see Oso and Dawson getting pushed around quite a bit- I think Lewis will be awesome defensively very quickly.

Elliott/Symir/Mane at the other G position won’t help I don’t think, even though Mane has said he values defense and I can see his matriculation being massive.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:53:22 PM by DoctorV »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »

Just so we don't have to hear this 1,000 times from you, I will guarantee that Dawson will not be the starting PG next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
Just so we don't have to hear this 1,000 times from you, I will guarantee that Dawson will not be the starting PG next year.

Ners has set this up beautifully for next season, especially if we get off to a slow start or lose a game or two we were "supposed to win."

"Wojo gets a burger boy and doesn't even no how to use him."

Because most of the 350 other D1 coaches would use Garcia at PG, you know.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:47 PM »

Sure as death and taxes, someone from each year's freshman class will be proposed as the answer at point guard regardless of their suitability to do so.  Dawson makes even less sense than Sandy Cohen did.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:11 PM »
Ners has set this up beautifully for next season, especially if we get off to a slow start or lose a game or two we were "supposed to win."

"Wojo gets a burger boy and doesn't even no how to use him."

Because most of the 350 other D1 coaches would use Garcia at PG, you know.

There is no agenda 82. We are in an era of position-less basketball.  Dawson has a unique skill set that would enable a degree of unconventionality.

I don’t care if Wojo does or doesn’t experiment with him at “PG.”. I put that in quotes as basketball is becoming  position-less. I don’t feel Wojo really places much emphasis on having a traditional type of PG - and that’s not a bad thing at all. 

You’ll just need to let go of your thinking that I’m trying to “set” anything up for Wojo to fail. That is truly stupid. I always want MU to win.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:11:23 AM by Elonsmusk »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »
I always want MU to win.

OK. Cool.

Have a nice night.

#UnleashSean

• All American