Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nova game thread  (Read 34142 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Nova game thread
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2020, 10:57:43 PM »
Wojo only gets in the easy Top 20s.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »
Yes. It's dumb. Very dumb. It's hardly even debatable.
How does extending the game help when you're down two possessions the entire time? It doesn't.
Feel free to argue otherwise. It's says all we need to know about you.

Wow, aggressive. What makes you so angry all the time?

It's not inconceivable that a good shooters might miss a FT at a critical moment. You know, the way our two 80%+ shooters both missed FTs in the closing minutes. Your strategy provides an opportunity with 3-5 seconds to play, while the strategy of fouling earlier gives you more time to adjust. If you view that as not even debatable, that says more about you than me, bro.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »
Wojo only gets in the easy Top 20s.

Well done.  8-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2020, 11:01:06 PM »
Wow, aggressive. What makes you so angry all the time?

Dumb, icomplaints made only for the sake of complaining, bro.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »
We weren’t a legit Top 20 team last year.

25 games ranked
19 in top 20
12 in top 15
6 in top 10

But that’s not legit Top 20. Got it.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »
Dumb, icomplaints made only for the sake of complaining, bro.

Just leave the board if discussions are too hard for you. All you do is rip on posters you disagree with. Dissenting opinions will always come up. Learn to disagree with someone without having to insult them. It's really not that hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
25 games ranked
19 in top 20
12 in top 15
6 in top 10

But that’s not legit Top 20. Got it.

You are what your record says you are. We finished 33 in KenPom. I’d rather win in February/March than November/December.

Thanks for getting the numbers though. Wager for next year on if we finish season in Top 20?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2020, 11:11:06 PM »
You are what your record says you are. We finished 33 in KenPom. I’d rather win in February/March than November/December.

Thanks for getting the numbers though. Wager for next year on if we finish season in Top 20?

Hard to say if we will be in the Top 20 next year with all of the incoming freshman.  I’d probably put us right at the fringe of being ranked next year but I’d like our odds of being top 20 in 2021-22.  Assuming Wojo is still here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:22 PM »
Just leave the board if discussions are too hard for you. All you do is rip on posters you disagree with. Dissenting opinions will always come up. Learn to disagree with someone without having to insult them. It's really not that hard.

Nah. There's lots of times I disagree with people here and don't rip them. It's mostly just the people who make nonsensical arguments I rip on.
Sorry if it offends you, but arguing that it's better to be down two possessions than one with under 30 left because it "extends the game" is nonsensical.
And if hearing your arguments called dumb is too hard for you, maybe don't make dumb arguments.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:15:23 PM by Pakuni »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »
Hard to say if we will be in the Top 20 next year with all of the incoming freshman.  I’d probably put us right at the fringe of being ranked next year but I’d like our odds of being top 20 in 2021-22.  Assuming Wojo is still here.

I’d be quite happy if we are fringe Top 20 next year. I suspect we will be in the 40-55 range.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #385 on: February 12, 2020, 11:15:13 PM »
Nah. There's lots of times I disagree with people here and don't rip them. It's mostly just the people who make nonsensical arguments I rip on.
Sorry if it offends you, but arguing that it's better to be down two possessions than one with under 30 left because it "extends the game" is nonsensical.

This.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »
I’d be quite happy if we are fringe Top 20 next year. I suspect we will be in the 40-55 range.

I’d agree with that. I think we are outside the rankings but make the tournament. But again, I’m really guessing with all of the freshman being unknowns.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »
Yes. It's dumb. Very dumb. It's hardly even debatable.
How does extending the game help when you're down two possessions the entire time? It doesn't.
Feel free to argue otherwise. It's says all we need to know about you.

??

Fouling down 3 with 40 seconds left in the game is dumb and hardly even debatable? I think extending the game and increasing the variables is preferable to hoping to hit the trifecta - a Nova miss without a foul, a defensive rebound and a team dumb enough to let us shoot  (and of course make) a last second game tying 3.

But no matter one’s opinion, calling either choice dumb and not even debatable is both.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2020, 11:18:07 PM »
??

Fouling down 3 with 40 seconds left in the game is dumb and hardly even debatable? I think extending the game and increasing the variables is preferable to hoping to hit the trifecta - a Nova miss without a foul, a defensive rebound and a team dumb enough to let us shoot  (and of course make) a last second game tying 3.

But no matter one’s opinion, calling either choice dumb and not even debatable is both.

This.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2020, 11:19:24 PM »
Actually after 10 games in Year 1. Realize 10 games/end of Year 2 is a very short leash, but in my view he didn’t have “it.”

Musk, 10 games into Year 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GK-fqUtY1Q

lol
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »
??

Lenny ... the alternate strategy would have required one of the nation's best FT shooting teams to miss multiple free throws over and over again, while MU on the other end would have to start making shots that they'd been missing most of the night. Two things that were far more improbable than Nova missing a shot and MU getting a defensive rebound.

I'll say this and leave it be ... the strategy MU used put them in an excellent position to be down one point with 5+ seconds to play and, at worse after that, the ball in their hands with 4-5 to play, a timeout available to set up a play, and chance to hit a shot for a win or tie.
What more can you ask for exactly? The strategy gave MU a chance. The alternative only gave MU a chance if a Nova suddenly forgot how to shoot free throws, at home.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2020, 11:33:29 PM »
??

Fouling with 40 seconds is a valid argument. I’d be curious to hear how people think it should have played out not fouling there. Hoping Jay’s players being too dumb to foul with under 10 seconds? It seems to me our only chance was Nova missing a few free throws which they were starting to do. Id rather have them miss the free throw with 40 seconds down 3 than 4 seconds down 1. Others may disagree.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2020, 11:40:26 PM »
Lenny ... the alternate strategy would have required one of the nation's best FT shooting teams to miss multiple free throws over and over again, while MU on the other end would have to start making shots that they'd been missing most of the night. Two things that were far more improbable than Nova missing a shot and MU getting a defensive rebound.

I'll say this and leave it be ... the strategy MU used put them in an excellent position to be down one point with 5+ seconds to play and, at worse after that, the ball in their hands with 4-5 to play, a timeout available to set up a play, and chance to hit a shot for a win or tie.
What more can you ask for exactly? The strategy gave MU a chance. The alternative only gave MU a chance if a Nova suddenly forgot how to shoot free throws, at home.

Except Nova was missing FTs AND if Nova made the basket with 10 seconds left we are down either 5 or 6 - and it is absolutely game over at that point.

Teams have to defend soft in the last 30 seconds of a game like that - it’s easy AF to go to the basket for twos, and defenders are tentative to aggressively close out on three point shooters.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #393 on: February 12, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »
Except Nova was missing FTs AND if Nova made the basket with 10 seconds left we are down either 5 or 6 - and it is absolutely game over at that point.

False. Up to that point, Nova had made 13 of 16 (aka 81 percent) free throw attempts in the second half.
For a fouling strategy to have any hope, they'd have to miss more than half their attempts. Wasn't happening. Whereas, the choice to play defense actually put the ball in MU's hands with a chance to tie (and multiple chances had Markus hit his FTs)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2020, 12:04:59 AM »
We weren’t a legit Top 20 team last year. Big East blew, and we got blasted by a mid-major...not to mention Big East as a whole blew on NCAA last year.

Care to wager on if we are a Top 20 team next year, in Year 7?

I’m glad we are in Top 20 right now, yet it is also concerning that this seems to be high water mark with a generational talent at MU in Markus.

Correct, we were a top 10 team.

Thank god the rim you dunked on didnt shift as much as the goalposts you use
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »

Sorry, Pakuni, but I disagree. Of course down 3 without the ball with 40 seconds left you’re a long shot no matter what you do. But the more possessions each team has the better the chance to tie or win the game. Giving up 30 of those 40 seconds is a mistake imo.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
unnatural carnal knowledge off you god damn piece of unnatural carnal knowledgeing crap...who wishes anything bad on someone?? Go to hell you pretty boy. What kind of a douchebag human being are you??

Oh my, get off the ledge!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

OK, so if things play out your way, we make our FTs with 5 seconds left and we're down 1. Then Nova inbounds, and we foul right away, so they're at the line with 3-4 seconds left. Based on your assumption that Nova won't miss any FTs, we get the ball back, 90 feet away, down 3 with 3-4 seconds on the clock. And then all Nova has to do is foul us before we get a shot off, and then the game is over.

Fouling earlier has risks associated with it too, but trying to start trading 3 for 2 isn't a crazy idea considering how well we shoot from 3. And since we had some momentum moving our way, I think giving our guys a few more offensive possessions could have be worth the risk. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
OK, so if things play out your way, we make our FTs with 5 seconds left and we're down 1. Then Nova inbounds, and we foul right away, so they're at the line with 3-4 seconds left. Based on your assumption that Nova won't miss any FTs, we get the ball back, 90 feet away, down 3 with 3-4 seconds on the clock. And then all Nova has to do is foul us before we get a shot off, and then the game is over.

Fouling earlier has risks associated with it too, but trying to start trading 3 for 2 isn't a crazy idea considering how well we shoot from 3. And since we had some momentum moving our way, I think giving our guys a few more offensive possessions could have be worth the risk.

I said I'll leave this, and I will. I'll just say I disagree with the timeline you lay out here and believe you're leaving out several possible outcomes to my scenario.
Also, apologies for coming off overly harsh last night. I didn't say, or mean to imply, that anyone is dumb. I believe the strategy to foul Nova in that situation would have been dumb.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
Im looking for the post where u admit Ur a sh!t fan. U suck and im sure ur life sucks or u wouldnt make those comments. Im glad ur life sucks.  Go root for another team

It's right after your post admitting you have no class, little creativity when insulting others, and no ability to accept opinions that differ from your own.

feedback