Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Addition By Subtraction  (Read 6481 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Addition By Subtraction
« on: February 09, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
As a critic of Woj, I congratulate him and the entire staff on the work they are currently doing. And, I hope it will translate into a significant Tourney run. It seems that the team is more focused and player's roles are more clearly defined since the departure of Morrow. Is this viewed as coincidence or was their something more going on that seemingly derailed the team from reaching its potential?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
Re: Addition By Subtraction
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
A finally healthy Jayce got more minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
I still think we'll miss him at least once before the season is done, but it's hard to see any 5 minutes of him on the floor tonight that would have been useful.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »
As a critic of Woj, I congratulate him and the entire staff on the work they are currently doing. And, I hope it will translate into a significant Tourney run. It seems that the team is more focused and player's roles are more clearly defined since the departure of Morrow. Is this viewed as coincidence or was their something more going on that seemingly derailed the team from reaching its potential?

Tend to think Wojo is a better coach the less options he has as it relates to available players.

All players play better the more consistent their role and playing time. Lesson for Woj to learn from this. Define your Top 8, and define a rotation and stick with it.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
I still think we'll miss him at least once before the season is done, but it's hard to see any 5 minutes of him on the floor tonight that would have been useful.

Miss the terrible defense, the travels or the missed layups? Plz be more clear
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »
Miss the terrible defense, the travels or the missed layups? Plz be more clear
I think he believes that at some point Theo and Jayce are both going to get in foul trouble.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »
Wojo has done quite a good job this season. Prior to season I was more optimistic because of what I heard about Jayce and Koby and I jumped off their bandwagon too quickly. My vote on Wojo remains on the recruiting side, but he gets a high grade for results on the court this year. This team is better than last years team, IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 03:46:15 PM »

Two things, Doc.

1. This is a very different team from last year's, when we relied on Markus, Sam and Joey taking turns bombing from 3. We were better defensively last year than the year before, but we are more athletic and even better on D this season. Anytime the second-best and third-best scorers leave a program, there is an adjustment period. Guys get new roles. The coaches have to adjust, too. So a big part of it simply is that it takes time.

2. Jayce simply is a better player than Morrow. Jayce was injured early on. Once he got healthy and established, it was obvious. I don't know if any Scoopers have the insider knowledge to know whether or not Morrow was a mope who hurt team chemistry. He obviously didn't like falling to a distant third on the depth chart. I wish him well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 04:19:24 PM »
I ran into the Utah team at an airport in Denver. While waiting for the plane, I spoke with a couple of their assistant coaches. They were very surprised (and disappointed) Jayce left to go to MU because he was slated for max minutes on their team. Now that Jayce is healthy I can appreciate their comments.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
There is nothing Morrow did that was better than what Jayce does. Theo has a special skill - he is a great shot-blocker who at times dominates the paint defensively. I like the way Wojo makes use of both Theo and Jayce.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »
Hermie, those are 3 Chicago streets that rhyme with vagina, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »
Unless you get another player or the player is causing locker room issues, I don't believe in addition by subrtaction, and I've never heard about any off court issues involving Ed. I think Jayce is finally healthy, McEwen broke out of his slump, and Anim took his game to another level (until today).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 05:53:07 PM »
TAMU

I think you are spot on the reason for improved play. To me, when Jayce plays well we are a totally different team.

Last year, as they limped to the finish line, I thought they zero chance to win a tourney game. I would not bet on playing the second week of tournament, but would not be completely shocked if it happened.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
Hermie, those are 3 Chicago streets that rhyme with vagina, aina?
Congrats 4 Ever!!! You are correct  8-)
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »
Wojo has done quite a good job this season. Prior to season I was more optimistic because of what I heard about Jayce and Koby and I jumped off their bandwagon too quickly. My vote on Wojo remains on the recruiting side, but he gets a high grade for results on the court this year. This team is better than last years team, IMO.

People said we’d miss the white turnstiles.  Our defense is much better cuz brendan n jamal are not getting beat off the dribble.  Brendan shoots almost as good as Sam n arguably rebounds as well
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
I don’t  disagree but at the same time no reason to hate on the kid. He made a decision lets move on.  I don’t envy parents of high D1 athletes... scoop would drive me to drink much more than I already do
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
People said we’d miss the white turnstiles.  Our defense is much better cuz brendan n jamal are not getting beat off the dribble.  Brendan shoots almost as good as Sam n arguably rebounds as well

You serious with this?  Ranks up there with “vanilla soft serve.”  Stay classy Knit.

And btw our defense ranks 15 slots worse at present than where we finished last season. Sam was a good defender. Joey was a freshman.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:55:30 PM by Elonsmusk »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »
You serious with this?  Ranks up there with “vanilla soft serve.”  Stay classy Knit.

He’s not wrong....our defense is much better.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 08:25:04 PM »

And btw our defense ranks 15 slots worse at present than where we finished last season. Sam was a good defender. Joey was a freshman.

All we heard about last year was that Marquette was only good because the Big East was down. This year we hear our defense is 15 slots lower so we can’t be as good.

You failed to mention MU offensively is 16 slots higher than last year.

If you look at our strength of schedule OppO is 23 slots better than last year and our OppD is 26 slots better. So our offense is doing much higher against a tougher defense and our defense is slightly lower against better offense teams. Seems to me the drop off isn’t as great as people feared.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 08:30:09 PM »
All we heard about last year was that Marquette was only good because the Big East was down. This year we hear our defense is 15 slots lower so we can’t be as good.

You failed to mention MU offensively is 16 slots higher than last year.

If you look at our strength of schedule OppO is 23 slots better than last year and our OppD is 26 slots better. So our offense is doing much higher against a tougher defense and our defense is slightly lower against better offense teams. Seems to me the drop off isn’t as great as people feared.

Didn’t reference offense because Knit-crap brought up our defense being so much better this year.

As for overall performance, this is the best KenPom ranking we’ve had this late in season under Wojo. So team has ultimately done better, on a tougher Big East, in an overall down year in college hoop.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 10:21:49 PM »
Congrats 4 Ever!!! You are correct  8-)

This is for you HC.

BTW it's MElvina.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »
Didn’t reference offense because Knit-crap brought up our defense being so much better this year.

As for overall performance, this is the best KenPom ranking we’ve had this late in season under Wojo. So team has ultimately done better, on a tougher Big East, in an overall down year in college hoop.

It’s all relative the state of college basketball....but anything to provide you an excuse.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
It’s all relative the state of college basketball....but anything to provide you an excuse.

There’s no “excuse.”  Sand Knit, per usual, like you, made a dumb comment.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 11:11:52 PM »
There’s no “excuse.”  Sand Knit, per usual, like you, made a dumb comment.

You back hand slap whenever you can when it comes to Wojo....conference is down, college basketball is down, opposing team was missing players, etc

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »
You back hand slap whenever you can when it comes to Wojo....conference is down, college basketball is down, opposing team was missing players, etc

Takes one to know one.

feedback