collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gruber  (Read 5303 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Gruber
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
She may be a mouthpiece, but at the very least she's being condescending and aggressively arrogant to anyone not perfectly aligned with her camp.

You've never been around a teenage girl, I see.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 04:06:32 PM »
You've never been around a teenage girl, I see.

Oh I have 3 younger sisters, Ive been around them plenty.  But its one thing for them to act that way around family or friends, but if they did it in school or a professional or legal setting, they didn't get a "oh she's just a teen" wipeaway.  Beyond agreeing or disagreeing with Greta, I find it amusing that she gets vaunted as a magnanimous crusader wise beyond her years, but if people go after her, they get scolded for taking the piss out of a poor teenage girl.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »
Oh I have 3 younger sisters, Ive been around them plenty.  But its one thing for them to act that way around family or friends, but if they did it in school or a professional or legal setting, they didn't get a "oh she's just a teen" wipeaway.  Beyond agreeing or disagreeing with Greta, I find it amusing that she gets vaunted as a magnanimous crusader wise beyond her years, but if people go after her, they get scolded for taking the piss out of a poor teenage girl.

Because, you know, taking the piss out a teenage girl is a bad look.
There are, I'm sure, plenty of valid arguments against with her positions that can be stated without being an insulting a--hole.
And if you're being an insulting a--hole, it's because your counterarguments almost certainly suck.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
Because, you know, taking the piss out a teenage girl is a bad look.
There are, I'm sure, plenty of valid arguments against with her positions that can be stated without being an insulting a--hole.
And if you're being an insulting a--hole, it's because your counterarguments almost certainly suck.

So if he said "its concerning that we are celebrating a teen who has a seemingly tenuous, incorrect and misguided grasp on the science she is basing her crusade on"...would that be fine or would that be unfair cause its going at a teen girl.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legitimately curious.  Cause outside of this particular discussion, Ive seen plenty of people try to shout down any opposition to her and rally around stuff like "its amazing what shes doing at her age, I was just doing XYZ at that age" as if her being young made her immune to criticism, whether scientific, approach based, personal, or otherwise.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 05:21:06 PM »
So if he said "its concerning that we are celebrating a teen who has a seemingly tenuous, incorrect and misguided grasp on the science she is basing her crusade on"...would that be fine or would that be unfair cause its going at a teen girl.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legitimately curious.  Cause outside of this particular discussion, Ive seen plenty of people try to shout down any opposition to her and rally around stuff like "its amazing what shes doing at her age, I was just doing XYZ at that age" as if her being young made her immune to criticism, whether scientific, approach based, personal, or otherwise.

From my post:
I'm sure, plenty of valid arguments against with her positions that can be stated without being an insulting a--hole.

As to your specific question, that comment would be fair if true. I'm not an expert, but does the majority of the scientific community disagree with her, or find her to have a misguided grasp?  Has what she said frequently exceeded the bounds of the generally accepted science?
I honestly don't know.
 I haven't really paid much attention to her, other than getting a chuckle over how much she triggers some people. And the criticism of her critics - that I've seen, at least  - isn't over legitimate questions of science, but rather the personal insults hurled her way. Like when she's been called a brat, mentally ill, in need of anger management counseling and likened to Nazis.
Those are pretty shi--y things to say about a teenage girl, don't you agree?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
From my post:
I'm sure, plenty of valid arguments against with her positions that can be stated without being an insulting a--hole.

As to your specific question, that comment would be fair if true. I'm not an expert, but does the majority of the scientific community disagree with her, or find her to have a misguided grasp?  Has what she said frequently exceeded the bounds of the generally accepted science?
I honestly don't know.
 I haven't really paid much attention to her, other than getting a chuckle over how much she triggers some people. And the criticism of her critics - that I've seen, at least  - isn't over legitimate questions of science, but rather the personal insults hurled her way. Like when she's been called a brat, mentally ill, in need of anger management counseling and likened to Nazis.
Those are pretty shi--y things to say about a teenage girl, don't you agree?

I was just posing a hypothetical for someone having objections or alternate ideas about the climate argument she's arguing on.

As for the other labels, I don't disagree.  Hell, not even for a teen, is sh-tty to say that sort of things about anyone simply on the basis of disagreeing with them.  I'm certainly not triggered by her but I do react to her lecturing people the same way I would when my 13 year old sister "explained" to me what I was doing wrong in my job search as a frustrated 24 year old  ::)  I guess in the realm of the personal attacks we've both seen on her, Keefe's descriptions seemed pretty mild and more focused on her being seemingly uninformed.