[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules  (Read 12636 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Big 10 wants to change transfer rules
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »
I always knew you cared about the haves.

I believe those in favor of this mostly care about the players having the freedom to go to their school of choice without sitting out a year. I wonder if more MU players would have transferred down a level if they didn’t have to sit a year. Maybe they didn’t want to stay in school more than 4 years, so thought being a role player was better than needing a 5th year.

Is a likely result that it benefits the high majors more than mid-majors? I’d say most likely. However, that’s not the motivation to do it. It’s more about letting students make the best choice for themselves without a need to sit out a year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
I believe those in favor of this mostly care about the players having the freedom to go to their school of choice without sitting out a year. I wonder if more MU players would have transferred down a level if they didn’t have to sit a year. Maybe they didn’t want to stay in school more than 4 years, so thought being a role player was better than needing a 5th year.

Is a likely result that it benefits the high majors more than mid-majors? I’d say most likely. However, that’s not the motivation to do it. It’s more about letting students make the best choice for themselves without a need to sit out a year.

Yep. Personal freedom. Personal choice. Those used to be seen as good things. I guess they still are, but only when they fit each debater's chosen narrative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
Not quite sure what this gibberish means ... but if you want to believe that top programs are really going to re-stock their rosters annually with kids from the MAC and Southland, enjoy that delusion. It certainly won't be the first time one of your predictions of doom has been woefully wrong.

By the way ... notice how one of the guys you frequently quote in your full-throated defenses of the status quo came out yesterday ranting about how badly college basketball needs to change the status quo?

https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-k-on-college-hoops-i-wish-the-whole-thing-would-change-084051665.html

That is a really great article.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
Interesting article. But until I see a multi-year pattern, I am sticking with "sports are cyclical."

College basketball was great last season. This season, not. It might be great again next season or two years from now. Or not. We'll see.

Regardless of the subject, I've heard a few too many "such-and-such is doomed" angles to buy in until I see a lot more evidence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
Not quite sure what this gibberish means ... but if you want to believe that top programs are really going to re-stock their rosters annually with kids from the MAC and Southland, enjoy that delusion. It certainly won't be the first time one of your predictions of doom has been woefully wrong.

By the way ... notice how one of the guys you frequently quote in your full-throated defenses of the status quo came out yesterday ranting about how badly college basketball needs to change the status quo?

https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-k-on-college-hoops-i-wish-the-whole-thing-would-change-084051665.html

Except I think Coach K wants to limit players movement more than they are now.  Thats how I read the article anyway.  He wants kids to stop leaving for the NBA.  I suspect he'd want something similar to baseball.  Come to college, ineligible for the draft for three years, or something like that.  Maybe 2.  THat would build up JC basketball, anyway.  Sad thing is, what's best for the players is not what's best for the coaches, the fans, etc.  I think unfortunately the correct answer to that issue is "so what?"
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »
Except I think Coach K wants to limit players movement more than they are now.  Thats how I read the article anyway.  He wants kids to stop leaving for the NBA.  I suspect he'd want something similar to baseball.  Come to college, ineligible for the draft for three years, or something like that.  Maybe 2.  THat would build up JC basketball, anyway.  Sad thing is, what's best for the players is not what's best for the coaches, the fans, etc.  I think unfortunately the correct answer to that issue is "so what?"

I had a very different reading.
He doesn't want kids to stop leaving for the NBA. He wants kids to stop leaving for places other than the NBA.
As he said here:
“I think the whole state of college basketball has been hurt by how many kids have tested the waters,” Krzyzewski said. “It’s not the one-and-dones. We’ve lost about 70 or 80 kids who weren’t even drafted.”

As some have said for some time - and Coach K is realizing - because of the way the NCAA runs it, college basketball is now a less attractive option for a lot of kids than not just the NBA (it'll always be less attractive than the NBA), but also Europe, China, Australia and even the G League.
Dozens of really good players leave college early every year now not because they're expecting NBA riches, but because earning a low six-figure salary in Europe or Australia, or even $40-50K in the G, is a better alternative than playing for nothing in college.
I'm sure some will say "That's fine, we want the kids who want to get an education." And that is fine if you're a hardcore fan willing to spend your time and money on a mediocre product.
But casual fans and those who want the sport to grow and thrive and be popular - like the people who rely on it for a living - want to see great players with whom they're familiar. And that's not going to happen with the current direction of the NCAA.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2020, 01:07:31 PM »
I think he is also saying that there should be a path back to college for those who are undrafted, or even allowing a player to go back to college even if they are drafted.  Back in the 90s, the NCAA allowed that.  The Bucks drafted Voshawn Lenard back in 1994, but he opted to go back to college.  The Bucks did not retain his rights, but perhaps the NBA could retain the rights and work with the player to continue at the college.

The ridiculousness of the amateurism rule prevents a lot of good ideas from coming forward.  What would have been the harm had a team chosen Markus in the second round last year, have him sign a contract with some compensation, but then had him go back to Marquette for a final season?

I'm not saying that's a perfect idea, but the NCAA is shooting itself in the foot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »
I think he is also saying that there should be a path back to college for those who are undrafted, or even allowing a player to go back to college even if they are drafted.  Back in the 90s, the NCAA allowed that.  The Bucks drafted Voshawn Lenard back in 1994, but he opted to go back to college.  The Bucks did not retain his rights, but perhaps the NBA could retain the rights and work with the player to continue at the college.

The ridiculousness of the amateurism rule prevents a lot of good ideas from coming forward.  What would have been the harm had a team chosen Markus in the second round last year, have him sign a contract with some compensation, but then had him go back to Marquette for a final season?

I'm not saying that's a perfect idea, but the NCAA is shooting itself in the foot.

Made all the more weird by the fact they allow drafted and undrafted players to return in other sports.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
The Bucks drafted Voshawn Lenard back in 1994, but he opted to go back to college.

Put some respeck on my man’s name. his name isn’t “Voshawn”.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2020, 08:01:40 AM »

I think the top programs will restock from the next level....including P6 schools....then those schools from the next level and on and on.   It becomes a domino effect and injures the mids the most.

A guy I frequently quote about a crapshoot nature...yes.   Not about other things.  Duke is the ultimate have and they will ask for what benefits them most.  His primary complaints about the NCAA on this where they have no control.  If the nba wants one and done, nothing the ncaa can do about it.  That’s a nba issue.  Poor mike not getting his nba players anymore....good.  Let the pros go pro, let the college kids play in college.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:07:17 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
Yep. Personal freedom. Personal choice. Those used to be seen as good things. I guess they still are, but only when they fit each debater's chosen narrative.

Lol.....I could list many personal choice options here that you have been against from day one, but that gets into politics so I won’t.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Post them!  Transparency!

I want to apologize to MU 82, I said 17 posts over a two week period. I was wrong.  It was 18.  I blacked out a few non-MU82, but left Billy in there as just another of many samples of evidence that he and I are not the same person for those idiotic enough to still believe that.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:07:23 PM by Cheeks »