Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 at end of regulation  (Read 8853 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
3 at end of regulation
« on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
There are about 3 pages of teeth gnashing and tantrums as to how Coach Wojo did not instruct his players to foul.  They were instructed to foul as soon as the ball crossed mid court.  Symir screwed up and love tapped his guy a few times and clearly hesitated.  Just as bad, Sacar went under the screen when the only shot that mattered was a 3. In an incredibly high pressure situation in an atmosphere where the players can barely hear themselves think a 18 year old and a 5th year senior both screwed up.  You documented jackasses with your posts on pages approx. 7-10 are ignorant petulant brats.  Foul was called in the TO, wojo was screaming it, the kids failed to execute it.  Things are not always what they seem, Wojo coached his balls off tonight and our Warriors left it all on the floor.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: 3 at end of regulation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:19:54 PM »
There are about 3 pages of teeth gnashing and tantrums as to how Coach Wojo did not instruct his players to foul.  They were instructed to foul as soon as the ball crossed mid court.  Symir screwed up and love tapped his guy a few times and clearly hesitated.  Just as bad, Sacar went under the screen when the only shot that mattered was a 3. In an incredibly high pressure situation in an atmosphere where the players can barely hear themselves think a 18 year old and a 5th year senior both screwed up.  You documented jackasses with your posts on pages approx. 7-10 are ignorant petulant brats.  Foul was called in the TO, wojo was screaming it, the kids failed to execute it.  Things are not always what they seem, Wojo coached his balls off tonight and our Warriors left it all on the floor.
Point is well taken and not something I knew until coming to Scoop after the game, but you’re veering off with the name-calling in this and other posts tonight. Chill, my man.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
Point is well taken and not something I knew until coming to Scoop after the game, but you’re veering off with the name-calling in this and other posts tonight. Chill, my man.

Sometimes complete idiots need to be informed that they are indeed complete idiots.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »

Amen!!!  So sick of hearing the second guessing on absolutely everything that happens in a game and blaming wojo. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

Actually ur veering off with everything that goes wrong immediately blaming the coach.  Its ignorant and pathetic and consistent from you and others.  Support the team, this board doesnt need u and the other collection of jackasses that, just like tonight, make ingnorant assumptions against Wojo at every disappointment!!

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:53 PM »
Scorched earth tonight, huh?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
Scorched earth tonight, huh?

For aholes like u absolutely!! True character revealed at the end of regulation trashing the coach for everything that doesnt go your way like a bratty child.  This board has been unbearable for the last month with the ignorant attacks on our coach.

sfmu22

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 12:34:16 AM »
Never post, and I do get the wojo criticism, but there has been some entertaining ass games to watch this year.  We have a good team that shouldn’t be hated on half as much as I read on here.  Unless you thought we’d go undefeated this year the season has basically gone as expected so far.  Wisconsin, Providence, and Creighton were rough ones to watch but outside that it’s been pretty tight.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 01:07:23 AM »
For aholes like u absolutely!! True character revealed at the end of regulation trashing the coach for everything that doesnt go your way like a bratty child.  This board has been unbearable for the last month with the ignorant attacks on our coach.

They just don't get how adversity reveals a persons true character. Faced with adversity, they lose their composure, and start running around like a flock of chicken littles. It's funny sometimes to watch them run around in circles, but after awhile their chirping gets annoying, and someone has to tell them the sky isn't falling and to STFU.

I think you just did that. Kudos

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 01:08:25 AM »
Totally agree and love Wojo.... the thing that had me scratching my head though was nobody telling Sacar to miss that last Ft in 2OT intentionally.... X had 0 timeouts and it almost cost them after allowing X to inbound with the clock stopped to either tie or beat us instead of forcing a full court heave... glad we got the W though

Japabound

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »
Never post, and I do get the wojo criticism, but there has been some entertaining ass games to watch this year.  We have a good team that shouldn’t be hated on half as much as I read on here.  Unless you thought we’d go undefeated this year the season has basically gone as expected so far.  Wisconsin, Providence, and Creighton were rough ones to watch but outside that it’s been pretty tight.
I’m with you man. Scoop has become a bunch of name calling and im right you’re wrong nanananana!. I only read the recruiting thread 90% Of the time and even that gets hijacked for pages at a time by wonderful posters. Hehe. I liked scoop when it first started a lot more. Less fools and more people concerned with info rather than fighting like school kids.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 01:28:52 AM »

About to lift off for Miami and I find myself agreeing with SandKnit on almost everything tonight.... Twilight Zone.  LOL.

If plane goes down, know that I died with Ian Ziereg on board from 90120...spoke to him last 15 minutes...my life is now complete. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 02:06:09 AM »
About to lift off for Miami and I find myself agreeing with SandKnit on almost everything tonight.... Twilight Zone.  LOL.

If plane goes down, know that I died with Ian Ziereg on board from 90120...spoke to him last 15 minutes...my life is now complete.

You got played.....

Ian Ziering is from 90210.

I don't know who that Ian Ziereg guy from 90120 is but he isn't famous.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 03:52:34 AM »
I'll bite.  Situations like this do come down to coaching.  Sure, he can say it in the TO, scream it from the bench.  This isn't the first time this situation has happened this year.  They executed it in the Georgetown game.  They didn't tonight and it could have cost them.  It didn't.  They were lucky.  Wojo is there to lead and plan.  He's also there to develop players so they execute what is called from the sidelines.  It's what a coach does.  These guys have been practicing since October.  I'm hoping that they have run through several of these types of game scenarios many times.  Symir did try to foul but did a terrible job at it.  Sacar going below the screen is a complete failure.  Assuming all of these guys were told to foul in the TO,  if you are fouling after mid-court, you are guarding close.  Symir and Sacar obviously didn't get the message or they don't know how to foul in that situation.  Based on Symir's effort, it appears that he may in fact not know how.  I can't explain Sacar on that play.  If they didn't get the message or if they did and thought that's how they execute in that play, you may not want to hear that but it's on the coach.  We all know that a coach will take the criticism in these situations and deal with the failing in practice.  He's not going to lay the blame on the player (even if it belongs there).  I'll concede that Wojo told the team to foul.  If he didn't, that's just stupid.  But any coach worth their salt would look at that specific play and wonder what else they could have done to execute that play.  I would be concerned if I was Wojo at how poorly that play was executed.  Did they practice it enough?  At all?  Did Wojo or his plethora of assistants fail to coach the players in that situation?  Do all the players understand why you are calling for a foul?  The players should understand the why (game management).  All of these fall under coaching.  We want to provide excuses - They are young, fog of war, a lot was happening.  How do these excuses go away?  Through coaching!  Since this board is "anti-ripping the players" in situations like this, unfortunately the coach comes into the cross-hairs.  I would think that Wojo would take extreme ownership of this even if he told them to foul.  Why, because even if it was the players blowing it, the buck stops with the coach.  He's responsible for making sure all the chess pieces on the floor know what they are doing and how to do it.  That said, other than that and what happened right after halftime, I thought he had a good game.  The margin for error is thin and without their best player for the last 12 minutes, razor thin, but I liked the way the team played down the stretch. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:34:21 AM »
He told his team to foul.  Symir chose the soft bump style.  It wasn't called.  Freshman.    Oops.   People lost their mind about it because the resulting 30 ft shot reinforced their opinion that Wojo is a bad coach.   MU actually leading at that point on the road without Markus was despite Wojo, not thanks to him, in their opinion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:05 AM »
Sometimes complete idiots need to be informed that they are indeed complete idiots.
Says the chief name caller on this board who seems to possess expert knowledge on what qualifies as idiocy. Far superior to us rubes who just fell off the turnip truck. Always put you trust in the self proclaimed "elite"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 06:32:18 AM »
Says the chief name caller on this board who seems to possess expert knowledge on what qualifies as idiocy. Far superior to us rubes who just fell off the turnip truck. Always put you trust in the self proclaimed "elite"
'your' trust.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 06:40:54 AM »

This is a free college sports message board...what do you expect? If you want throughout  conversation go to one of the paid sites

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 06:54:08 AM »
Totally agree and love Wojo.... the thing that had me scratching my head though was nobody telling Sacar to miss that last Ft in 2OT intentionally.... X had 0 timeouts and it almost cost them after allowing X to inbound with the clock stopped to either tie or beat us instead of forcing a full court heave... glad we got the W though

Hey, someone is talking basketball!

If you miss the second one and they happen to still somehow get the ball down the court, a 2 would win it. I see your point, but I still rather see the FT made. Hell, on the rebound there could be a foul even...

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »
I'll bite.  Situations like this do come down to coaching.  Sure, he can say it in the TO, scream it from the bench.  This isn't the first time this situation has happened this year.  They executed it in the Georgetown game.  They didn't tonight and it could have cost them.  It didn't.  They were lucky.  Wojo is there to lead and plan.  He's also there to develop players so they execute what is called from the sidelines.  It's what a coach does.  These guys have been practicing since October.  I'm hoping that they have run through several of these types of game scenarios many times.  Symir did try to foul but did a terrible job at it.  Sacar going below the screen is a complete failure.  Assuming all of these guys were told to foul in the TO,  if you are fouling after mid-court, you are guarding close.  Symir and Sacar obviously didn't get the message or they don't know how to foul in that situation.  Based on Symir's effort, it appears that he may in fact not know how.  I can't explain Sacar on that play.  If they didn't get the message or if they did and thought that's how they execute in that play, you may not want to hear that but it's on the coach.  We all know that a coach will take the criticism in these situations and deal with the failing in practice.  He's not going to lay the blame on the player (even if it belongs there).  I'll concede that Wojo told the team to foul.  If he didn't, that's just stupid.  But any coach worth their salt would look at that specific play and wonder what else they could have done to execute that play.  I would be concerned if I was Wojo at how poorly that play was executed.  Did they practice it enough?  At all?  Did Wojo or his plethora of assistants fail to coach the players in that situation?  Do all the players understand why you are calling for a foul? 

An 18yr freshman that was playing a larger role than in past games due to injury had a brain fart in a close game in a hostile environment. He went for a foul, but didn't make sure it stopped play.  End of story. Love Sy, and Wojo is right, this will be a great teaching moment for the entire team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 07:16:57 AM »
Another fun talking point, make or miss the free throw up 2 and under 3 seconds to play.    Make, and they get to take the ball out o bounds and run their home run play.    Miss and gamble that no one gets two dribbles and a 70 foot 3 pointer.   Either way, if the the other team makes the prayer, the coach and player are obviously stupid.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 07:27:07 AM »
I’m not a big fan of Wojo but he did nothing wrong there. Freshman playing a role he’s not used to. It happens.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
Another fun talking point, make or miss the free throw up 2 and under 3 seconds to play.    Make, and they get to take the ball out o bounds and run their home run play.    Miss and gamble that no one gets two dribbles and a 70 foot 3 pointer.   Either way, if the the other team makes the prayer, the coach and player are obviously stupid.

I do think the better play there is to miss. Of course he may be concerned about fouling on the rebound and sending them to the line to tie.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 07:55:09 AM »
An 18yr freshman that was playing a larger role than in past games due to injury had a brain fart in a close game in a hostile environment. He went for a foul, but didn't make sure it stopped play.  End of story. Love Sy, and Wojo is right, this will be a great teaching moment for the entire team.

Word.  You can see Sy's love taps.  He'll learn from this. Kid played a gutty game when he was asked to step up bigger than ever before in his basketball life.  Like how 'bout that second free throw when his teammates told him to relax and focus?

feedback