[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 07, 2024, 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koby doing the mamba mentality  (Read 13972 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Koby doing the mamba mentality
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 06:27:37 AM »
That question gets asked every year when the seniors are big scorers.  And every year, the points appear.    It is the circle of life.   MU will score next year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:15 AM »
How Sacar got called for a flagrant 1 and Carter didn't will always be a mystery to me. At very least it should have been a common foul which would have erased a three at the other end.

What's the rule on stopping play for an injury?  Does it never stop unless the action comes to that end of the court?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 06:45:28 AM »
Stealing a win sometimes is the best kind of win. Ugly on both sides, but the boys hung tough and got it down. Well earned win and it should be enjoyed.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 06:55:51 AM »
Great win by the team.  I hope Markus is ok.  Hard hit to the face. 
In my humble opinion, team place best when all five players are active on offense.

If this is a reference to Markus being out and playing better without him, the offense down the stretch in reg and the 1st OT was hardly all 5 active on O.  Koby was as ball dominant if not even moreso than Markus during that stretch. He wasn’t even giving it up temporarily and then trying to get it back. He put the team on his back and that stretch was incredible, but it was one on 5 to an extreme. It was as if we couldn’t get anything going offensively for so long we didn’t even try to run any offense. Koby just got unconscious at the right time.

Second OT was better when he found Sacar and he came through. A little more consistency out of Bailey sure would help.

Unbelievably gritty win. X is hard to figure out. Veteran team with guys who have succeeded in the past, they played extremely hard (as did MU) and they just aren’t getting it done.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 07:05:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/BenSteeleMJS/status/1222754481147912192?s=19

I wonder if they told the refs the plan. I think it was Cooley I saw recently in that situation instructing the refs that their player was going to anticipate a foul and shoot. Refs didn’t give it to them anyway. I understand you don’t want to get called for an intentional foul, but a hard reach in by Symir there shouldn’t draw an intentional call. X executed a version of the Nova championship winning okay, but should not have had the opportunity. Oh well, we pulled it out somehow. What a game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 07:10:37 AM »
If this is a reference to Markus being out and playing better without him, the offense down the stretch in reg and the 1st OT was hardly all 5 active on O.  Koby was as ball dominant if not even moreso than Markus during that stretch. He wasn’t even giving it up temporarily and then trying to get it back. He put the team on his back and that stretch was incredible, but it was one on 5 to an extreme. It was as if we couldn’t get anything going offensively for so long we didn’t even try to run any offense. Koby just got unconscious at the right time.

Second OT was better when he found Sacar and he came through. A little more consistency out of Bailey sure would help.

Unbelievably gritty win. X is hard to figure out. Veteran team with guys who have succeeded in the past, they played extremely hard (as did MU) and they just aren’t getting it done.

Absolutely.   The offense ground to a standstill for an extended period.   Even worse when Brendan fouled out.    Lots of hero ball.   Koby can do it.   Sacar less so.   They finally ran a play with Koby driving and Sacar in the corner.   

This game was won because of defense.   MU played their butts off on defense and finally found enough offense to get back in it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 07:26:33 AM »
I wonder if they told the refs the plan. I think it was Cooley I saw recently in that situation instructing the refs that their player was going to anticipate a foul and shoot. Refs didn’t give it to them anyway. I understand you don’t want to get called for an intentional foul, but a hard reach in by Symir there shouldn’t draw an intentional call. X executed a version of the Nova championship winning okay, but should not have had the opportunity. Oh well, we pulled it out somehow. What a game.

Wojo said in the post game that they told the ref they were going to foul.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Are Sacar’s 28 points a career high for him?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
Nice win, very cool to see Anim and Koby step up.  Those two circus shots Koby hit on the and-1s were great.  Like Jerel says in the “Pray” video, Xavier probably knew then that “today was not their day.”

And who the hell was that Carter guy for Xavier?  Made Jayce Johnson look like Dirk.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2020, 08:05:37 AM »
We had 6 assists the last 46:28. Unreal that we won with that. Great team win, but the offense is not good at all.

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »
What's the rule on stopping play for an injury?  Does it never stop unless the action comes to that end of the court?

I’m wondering the same thing. When Howard was down on the floor, clearly hurt, we played 4v5 for the entire possession.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »
The way I have traditionally seen it is that play stops if the player is hurt on the end of the court where the action is taking place.  Otherwise play continues until the injured player's team controls the ball.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
How Sacar got called for a flagrant 1 and Carter didn't will always be a mystery to me. At very least it should have been a common foul which would have erased a three at the other end.

Truth...I also loved that Jones was playing the victim on the floor, being McNutPuncher floppy on the floor, and all that was wrong was his contact...and Steele, who also did this earlier on a free throw shooter, subbed in Carter to shoot the free throws. Carter was 80 odd percent FT shooter and Jones in the 50’s...and Carter bricked them only to have Jones soon return.

#justiceformarkus

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
The way I have traditionally seen it is that play stops if the player is hurt on the end of the court where the action is taking place.  Otherwise play continues until the injured player's team controls the ball.

Yes.  The refs handled this correctly.

And they couldn't give the X player a common foul after replay.  I would have had to have been a flagrant - and it wasn't flagrant.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
Anim had a great game. He will be missed next year, as will Markus. Cain with 9 rebounds. Wonder where the scoring will come from next year.

Ball movement mostly. Koby, Bailey, Garcia, Mane, Elliott, Cain with Symir dealing.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2020, 09:36:06 AM »
That question gets asked every year when the seniors are big scorers.  And every year, the points appear.    It is the circle of life.   MU will score next year.

Typically accurate, but we aren’t talking about your run of the mill scorer in Markus. I’d be very surprised if MU will score next yr at a clip anywhere close to its 78ppg this year (good for top 30 in the land).

My best guess is that MU scores substantially less next year. I would imagine that Koby and Brendan will lead the way and average double figures, albeit with much less efficiency especially for Koby who I can see becoming frustrating to watch at times. I think Dawson will help quite a bit in the scoring and finish in the top 3.

Overall I would expect Marquette to shift to a much more defensive minded team and win a lot of games in the 60s and even 50s. Offensive rankings will suffer and hopefully the defense improves to near where the offense currently sits.

Either way we will hopefully all be here to enjoy it! For now, I’m really enjoying this ride

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
I think Brendan, Koby, and Garcia all average 15 ppg next year.   Symir will hit some shots, Greg and Jamal will hit some shots.  If Mane' comes, the offense will be even better.    My concern right now for next year is defense.   The three new forwards are going to have to figure out how to be physical enough for the Big East.   They theoretically know it will be a grinder, but there is no way they are currently ready to stand up to what Xavier did last night.     I watch Symir play defense versus how everybody else on the team plays defense and I see next year.    But... kick that can down the road and worry about it after this season is over.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »

If I were reffing that game, that's exactly how I would have handled it. In a youth game (middle school or lower), the ref would have stopped it immediately, and I'd have had no problem with that.

Truth...I also loved that Jones was playing the victim on the floor, being McNutPuncher floppy on the floor, and all that was wrong was his contact...and Steele, who also did this earlier on a free throw shooter, subbed in Carter to shoot the free throws. Carter was 80 odd percent FT shooter and Jones in the 50’s...and Carter bricked them only to have Jones soon return.

#justiceformarkus

The announcers said in the first instance, Steele had to sub for the FT shooter because the trainer came out onto the floor. Wojo got to choose the shooter then. After a flagrant, the opposing coach does not get to choose the shooter. It was justice that Carter launched a couple of scuds, but injustice that X ended up hitting a 3 on the ensuing possession. It was a bad call.

I think Brendan, Koby, and Garcia all average 15 ppg next year.   Symir will hit some shots, Greg and Jamal will hit some shots.  If Mane' comes, the offense will be even better.    My concern right now for next year is defense.   The three new forwards are going to have to figure out how to be physical enough for the Big East.   They theoretically know it will be a grinder, but there is no way they are currently ready to stand up to what Xavier did last night.     I watch Symir play defense versus how everybody else on the team plays defense and I see next year.    But... kick that can down the road and worry about it after this season is over.   

This.

Either way we will hopefully all be here to enjoy it!

Well, I certainly plan to be. And I hope all other Scoopers also are on this side of the ground a year from now ... though no matter how good we are, there will be a couple dozen at least who simply refuse to enjoy it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »
Wojo said in the post game that they told the ref they were going to foul.

Got it. Thanks. Can't do much more than that. Symir's just got to make the play. It is kind of strange they didn't call it. He did reach and make contact, which is called a frustrating amount in normal game situations where the call seems pointless and doesn't impact anything. The refs should call it there where they have a heads up that it's coming.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
Got it. Thanks. Can't do much more than that. Symir's just got to make the play. It is kind of strange they didn't call it. He did reach and make contact, which is called a frustrating amount in normal game situations where the call seems pointless and doesn't impact anything. The refs should call it there where they have a heads up that it's coming.

Yep.

I tell the ref, "We are going to foul. Please don't make us maul them." Usually, they call anything a foul then. It means I can't complain if a foul is called when we appear to have gotten a tie-up, but I'd rather that than get called for an intentional because we really have to shove somebody just to get the foul.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »

Koby is to inconsistent to average 15, maybe 10.  Brendan is way to inconsistent to average 15, maybe 10 and Garcia is really a wild card.  They might have a few players
averaging 10-13 points a game.  Mane is really important to come in as he can get his own shot.  Bailey really is not a one on one player and Koby other than a few games had trouble scoring, not quick enough.  Next year it might be by committee.  Offense will have to change next year but not sure Wojo knows how to do that.  It is one thing having the top scorer in the nation, you can have a center that can not score, next year they will need somebody in that position to give them more than 4-6 points a game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
Koby is to inconsistent to average 15, maybe 10.  Brendan is way to inconsistent to average 15, maybe 10 and Garcia is really a wild card.  They might have a few players
averaging 10-13 points a game.  Mane is really important to come in as he can get his own shot.  Bailey really is not a one on one player and Koby other than a few games had trouble scoring, not quick enough.  Next year it might be by committee.  Offense will have to change next year but not sure Wojo knows how to do that.  It is one thing having the top scorer in the nation, you can have a center that can not score, next year they will need somebody in that position to give them more than 4-6 points a game.

Sacar was too inconsistent to score 14 ppg...until he wasn't.

Kids improve sometimes, and other times kids just need an opportunity.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2020, 01:21:58 PM »
Everyone is a year older and better next year.  No trying to figure out when to defer and when to shoot.   New leaders.  Offense will be just fine.   Freshmen on defense will be the issue.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
Are we really worrying about games 10 months away less than 24 hours after a double OT road win?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
I'm not.  Responding to those who are. 

feedback