[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Oh-no-vertime!  (Read 5688 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Oh-no-vertime!
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »
I'm not here to talk about the decisions that were made, I'm here to talk about the ramifications of those decisions. How much did coaching choices that caused late leads to become overtime losses impact Marquette in terms of seeding? We break it down on Cracked Sidewalks.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2020/01/oh-no-vertime.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Oh-no-vertime!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
Not a bad read.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »
It was an excellent read.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »
As always, nicely done.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
Of course if we made one more basket, one more free throw, etc...none of this happens.....it’s funny how much “coaching decisions” are the cause.  Koby misses a point blank layup, John the same, etc.

Players play...they determine by and large the outcomes of games.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Of course if we made one more basket, one more free throw, etc...none of this happens.....it’s funny how much “coaching decisions” are the cause.  Koby misses a point blank layup, John the same, etc.

Players play...they determine by and large the outcomes of games.

Knock it off. I specifically said in the article this is NOT to rehash the games. Push your agenda in one of the 20 other threads where it is being discussed. This is about the ramifications of the events, not the events themselves.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
I can’t remember which coach said it, but basically on game day coaches have very little impact...10 to 15%.

MIT did an analysis recently where they tried to quantify coaches impact in 6 major sports on game days...if I remember college hoops was like 20 to 25% for some categories and lower for others (chance at victory).  The biggest reason is because ultimately PLAYERS have to make shots, get rebounds, defend, etc...when shots are missed, etc, it shrinks opportunities left for what the staff and players can do with the clock and the opponent.

No one seems to remember the missed bunny in the first half, the fumbled rebound out of bounds that gives the other team another possession, the missed free throws, etc....they all add up to the final score and outcome.  Instead fans love to blame ONE possession or two possessions rather than a body of work for 40 minutes as the culprit. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »
Please stop. Please delete and stop.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
Nice read, thanks for posting.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
Cheeks no one is disputing players are the major reason teams win or lose.  Coaches can simply put players in better position or prepare players better to succeed.  If that 10-15% is better on one sideline than the other you are going to win more games.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
.Very good read.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:51 AM »
Cheeks no one is disputing players are the major reason teams win or lose.  Coaches can simply put players in better position or prepare players better to succeed.  If that 10-15% is better on one sideline than the other you are going to win more games.

LOL...no one?  Uhm, you been on vacation this weekend?  Don’t you know...the verdict is in.

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
No one respond to the troll. Excellent read Brew. Thanks for posting.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
I can’t remember which coach said it, but basically on game day coaches have very little impact...10 to 15%.

You do realize this "little impact" of 10-15% would have been enough in both Providence and Butler games to push our win probabilities over 100%.  Butler and Providence games are exactly why it is critical that you have a strong in-game coach. 

Think virtually everyone can agree in-game coaching is Wojo's weakest attribute - he's a good recruiter and ambassador for the program.  Only question is, can he take it up a notch in-game? 

BTW - Good analysis and article, Brew. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
LOL...no one?  Uhm, you been on vacation this weekend?  Don’t you know...the verdict is in.

You've been asked by the god damn article writer to stfu. Do you have any respect to not derail a single thread?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »

Where would Marquette be if they were undefeated??

Where would they be if they lost to Villanova but won at Butler.

The premise the author bases his/her argument on is flawed from the start. 

The last five minutes of those games, particularly related to Wojos coaching decisions were not as significant as other events throughout the games.

I wish articles like this were still printed out,......

because I'm out of toilet paper.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »
Where would Marquette be if they were undefeated??

Where would they be if they lost to Villanova but won at Butler.

The last five minutes of those games, particularly related to Wojos coaching decisions were not as significant as other events throughout the games.

I wish articles like this were still printed out,......

because I'm out of toilet paper.

We were at an 80% chance to be 2-0, and we won neither. That’s why these two games are relevant. It’s crazy to see the impact those two games could have on our seed.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »
We were at an 80% chance to be 2-0, and we won neither. That’s why these two games are relevant. It’s crazy to see the impact those two games could have on our seed.

As a piece of useless trivia, I guess it's passable. After reading the article I checked, and Marquettes ranking hasn't changed.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »

Because you misunderstand the premise. As I said ad nauseum, it's not too rehash what happened. It's to examine the ramifications of what did happen.

Against PC we didn't foul up three, against GT we did. Clear strategy change after a loss. Against Butler Wojo admitted his mistake.

The point is that you can take this however you want. If you want to argue in favor of Wojo, then we are two possessions, 80.4% odds, away from being the top 4-seed. That while this team is trending toward a 7-seed, their actual ability is on par with teams like Dayton, Villanova, and Maryland. That despite some erroneous decisions, this team is undervalued because on the whole, the vast majority of the time those events should go in their favor to bear out the top-15 team they would rightfully be if not for statistical improbabilities.

Conversely, it could be argued that we have the talent to be top-15, but coaching decisions prevent us from reaching those deserved heights.

The article is neither pro nor anti Wojo. I think most would say I've fallen in the pro camp more often than not. The premise of the article is to present where we are and where we are a razor's edge away from being. You're interpreting it as something it's not.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 02:51:13 PM »
Because you misunderstand the premise. As I said ad nauseum, it's not too rehash what happened. It's to examine the ramifications of what did happen.

Against PC we didn't foul up three, against GT we did. Clear strategy change after a loss. Against Butler Wojo admitted his mistake.

The point is that you can take this however you want. If you want to argue in favor of Wojo, then we are two possessions, 80.4% odds, away from being the top 4-seed. That while this team is trending toward a 7-seed, their actual ability is on par with teams like Dayton, Villanova, and Maryland. That despite some erroneous decisions, this team is undervalued because on the whole, the vast majority of the time those events should go in their favor to bear out the top-15 team they would rightfully be if not for statistical improbabilities.

Conversely, it could be argued that we have the talent to be top-15, but coaching decisions prevent us from reaching those deserved heights.

The article is neither pro nor anti Wojo. I think most would say I've fallen in the pro camp more often than not. The premise of the article is to present where we are and where we are a razor's edge away from being. You're interpreting it as something it's not.

Nope, re-read it and my reading comprehension skills are as solid as ever. The premise was clearly stated in the first paragraph.

Just because the author qualifies it by saying the article isn't intended to rehash the losses doesn't mean that he/she hasn't set the premise.

The author rehashes the losses and suggests that poor coaching decisions could be supported mathematically as an explanation for those losses. Then the author asks the reader to ignore what he/she said and just look at the ramifications on the teams ranking if Marquette had won both games. Nice try.

It's a nice bit of useless trivia and what could've been.

It adds nothing to the conversation except another reason for people to retreat into their corners.

I wasn't enlightened by the article one bit.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 03:01:44 PM »
If ever someone revealed their identity, that was it.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
If ever someone revealed their identity, that was it.

Oh, was I supposed to just ignore the first paragraph of the article??

My bad.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
I'm not here to talk about the decisions that were made, I'm here to talk about the ramifications of those decisions. How much did coaching choices that caused late leads to become overtime losses impact Marquette in terms of seeding? We break it down on Cracked Sidewalks.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2020/01/oh-no-vertime.html

Now do it again with coaching choices against Purdue, K Sate, etc that helped our seed because we won.

That’s my point, it’s like this board is attracted to only the negative.  Last I checked we won games we were trailing at halftime or in the road, etc where moves with subs, going zone, etc helped win a game. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Now do it again with coaching choices against Purdue, K Sate, etc that helped our seed because we won.

You aren't really that thick, are you? I mean, you can read, right? Like...the article title?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
Great read, hope we can win one or 2 more on the back end that we aren't "supposed" to win (@Nova or @SH)

This is the type of article that makes this site great, and makes brewcity77 an MVP-tier contributor to the fan experience