'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some Perspective - Post Butler OT Loss  (Read 4832 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Some Perspective - Post Butler OT Loss
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:22:31 PM »
Last night's game was the hardest game we have until the BET.  I say this because KenPom had our chance of winning at just 26%

This is why we went UP in the net rankings from 26 to 25 and stayed unchanged in KenPom's rankings at 32.  So, whine and moan all you want, last night's loss did not hurt us.

Moving forward here is what KenPom says ...

Date                   Opp Rank        Oppenent     Projected Score    MU Win%     
Wed Jan 29      54                 Xavier          L, 73-72                      49%          Away
Sat Feb 1              62             DePaul         W, 78-71                      75%          Home   
Sun Feb 9              15             Butler         W, 71-70                      54%          Home       
Wed Feb 12      18                 Villanova         L, 76-72                  34%          Away   
Tue Feb 18      34                  Creighton       W, 79-75                      63%          Home   
Sat Feb 22              73             Providence    W, 73-72                   55%          Away
Wed Feb 26      52            Georgetown        W, 82-76                      72%          Home   
Sat Feb 29              11            Seton Hall     L, 75-74                      50%          Home
Tue Mar 3              62            DePaul            W, 75-74                      52%          Away   
Sat Mar 7              79            St. John's         W, 77-75                      58%          Away   

Projected record:   20-10   10-8   

Note that in the final 10 games we are projected to go 7 - 3.

Of the three losses, Only at Nova at 34% appears out of reach.  The X loss next week (49%) and the Hall loss in Late Feb (50%) are really coin-toss games.

At Depaul (52%) home v Butler (54%) are the closest coin toss wins.

We can go 9-1 the rest of the way and no one should be surprised.  If so, we finish 22-8 (12-6) and probably media rank and looking at a 4 seed in the tourney. (four seeds are supposed to make the S16)

So, get past yesterday, the real work starts today.  A special season is still very much possible.

Let the haters hate, they are terrible people with awful lives.  Ignore them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:25:48 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Some Perspective - Post Butler OT Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
Another good post, Heisie. Get right back on the saddle. Every one of these games are a back and forth battle, with great coaches and players. One thing for sure, we as fans will have a lot more things to debate upcoming pro and con...or fly off the handle on. Fanatic and all.

One thing we are sure of at this point: MU has the team who can win any of these games. I am not so sure we had that answer after Hausergate.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »
Another good post, Heisie. Get right back on the saddle. Every one of these games are a back and forth battle, with great coaches and players. One thing for sure, we as fans will have a lot more things to debate upcoming pro and con...or fly off the handle on. Fanatic and all.

One thing we are sure of at this point: MU has the team who can win any of these games. I am not so sure we had that answer after Hausergate.

Well said. I’m enjoying watching this MU team. Team has done better than I thought it would. Exceeding expectations so easier for me to accept the occasional moments Wojo disappoints.  All in all he’s done a pretty good job this season.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:36:34 PM by Elonsmusk »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
Well said. I’m enjoying watching this MU team. Team has done better than I thought it would. Exceeding expectations so easier for me to accept the occasional moments. Wojo disappoints.  All in all he’s done a pretty good job this season.

Actually think the response to the loss last night has been mostly reasonable and there's been some good discussion.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
great take. I just wanted to add that aside from the mistakes at the end that cost us the game, i thought the coaching staff did well to get the team ready to play. they competed from the first whistle until the end, and had a pretty solid game plan to start.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
great take. I just wanted to add that aside from the mistakes at the end that cost us the game, i thought the coaching staff did well to get the team ready to play. they competed from the first whistle until the end, and had a pretty solid game plan to start.

Agreed, tough to swallow an L after great preparation & execution, but I loved the effort & contributions from everyone on the court last night

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
9-1 the rest of the way?  In my best Dr. Evil voice...riiiiiiiiiight.  Enjoy your fantasy.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
Micro response to last night - Tough loss with some things that didn't go well or didn't go our way.  Let a late 6 point lead evaporate in the last 2:30 or so.

Macro response to last night - We just went on the road to the #8 NET team and led pretty much the whole way. Hinkle is a tough place to play and we handled it well until the end.  Team is growing past its early season road woes and other guys are stepping up.  Good growth experience for the team.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
Heisenberg v2.0

I'm as optimistic as the next Marquette fan, but you sir are crazy.

9-1????

Seriously????

The KenPom 7-3 prediction is approaching fantasy land.

I fear last year is repeating itself in one key area......

Markus is getting beat up.

He made it through the stretch of wins relatively healthy but Butler set him back on course for an ending similar to last year.

It doesn't help that Greg is injured and neither Koby or Symir have been consistent on both ends of the court. This has resulted in nearly the same amount of usage or more for Markus.

The odds of him wearing down are more likely than any statistic you can cite.

Wojo isn't likely to  reduce Markus' role his senior year and possibly impact his draft status, and reigning in Markus could also affect the recruitment of Karim Mane.

Wojos handling of Markus getting elbowed in the head doesn't help matters either. He should have yelled for a flagrant foul until the refs T'd him up.

The officials didn't protect Markis and neither did his coach. The message that sends to the rest of the conference doesn't bode well for Markus finishing the season strong, and without a healthy Markus this team will be lucky to make the tournament. 5-5 is much more realistic with a semi- healthy Markus.

I hope the team, the coach, and the refs combined help Markus make it to at least the second round of the tournament.
That would be a fitting end to his career.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:00 PM »
I think we have hit the proverbial fork in the road. My PTSD from last year fears that Markus will try to do to much the next couple of games. My hope is that Wojo has learned from mistakes past, allows Koby to be the primary ball handler, and get our other scorers involved.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:42 PM »
I keep seeing references to Markus getting elbowed in the head. It certainly wasn't on the foul where he hit his head on the chair. There was little to no contact. When did this happen?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 03:17:00 PM »
I keep seeing references to Markus getting elbowed in the head. It certainly wasn't on the foul where he hit his head on the chair. There was little to no contact. When did this happen?
It didn't.  Its narrative from tower and whoa Joe to rationalize poor play. The replay I saw last night showed no contact. I would like to see a slow motion replay from a front angle like they showed last night but I cant find one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Markus did get elbowed by Baddley. I severely doubt it was intentional as some have said. Just one of those things that happens in games. Im sure it impacted Markus, I don't think as much as some believe
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 03:27:32 PM »
Markus did get elbowed by Baddley. I severely doubt it was intentional as some have said. Just one of those things that happens in games. Im sure it impacted Markus, I don't think as much as some believe
I would like to see it because I don't think he did I may be wrong but a few people saying it doesn't make it so. At any rate it wasnt intentional.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
I would like to see it because I don't think he did I may be wrong but a few people saying it doesn't make it so. At any rate it wasnt intentional.

I got it on DVR if you're ever in Texas Haha
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »
Yup. He did not play well after that, so who knows?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »

After the layup Markus lands and Baddley drops an elbow on his head when he comes down from trying to block the shot. I saw it live and in replay and tower has it on dvr. It happened.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 03:37:27 PM »
I got it on DVR if you're ever in Texas Haha
Don't laugh I might take u up on it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
One thing to consider is that you can't assume MU will play as well as it did last night every game moving forward. That is why it's a tough loss. Very winnable game, tough opponent in tough environment. Played well much of the game.

Every game is difficult. One game at a time. On to the next one. Try to keep improving. Try to keep playing well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 03:57:20 PM »
I thought the team played very well for 40 of the 45 minutes in a very tough venue.  I just watched the play again.  What I saw has not changed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
Last night's game was the hardest game we have until the BET.  I say this because KenPom had our chance of winning at just 26%

This is why we went UP in the net rankings from 26 to 25 and stayed unchanged in KenPom's rankings at 32.  So, whine and moan all you want, last night's loss did not hurt us.

Wed Jan 29      54                 Xavier          L, 73-72                      49%          Away
Sat Feb 1              62             DePaul         W, 78-71                      75%          Home   
Sun Feb 9              15             Butler         W, 71-70                      54%          Home       
Wed Feb 12      18                 Villanova         L, 76-72                  34%          Away   
Tue Feb 18      34                  Creighton       W, 79-75                      63%          Home   
Sat Feb 22              73             Providence    W, 73-72                   55%          Away
Wed Feb 26      52            Georgetown        W, 82-76                      72%          Home   
Sat Feb 29              11            Seton Hall     L, 75-74                      50%          Home
Tue Mar 3              62            DePaul            W, 75-74                      52%          Away   
Sat Mar 7              79            St. John's         W, 77-75                      58%          Away   

Of the three losses, Only at Nova at 34% appears out of reach.  The X loss next week (49%) and the Hall loss in Late Feb (50%) are really coin-toss games.

We can go 9-1 the rest of the way and no one should be surprised.  If so, we finish 22-8 (12-6) and probably media rank and looking at a 4 seed in the tourney. (four seeds are supposed to make the S16)

So, get past yesterday, the real work starts today.  A special season is still very much possible.

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »
After the layup Markus lands and Baddley drops an elbow on his head when he comes down from trying to block the shot. I saw it live and in replay and tower has it on dvr. It happened.

As your alter ego on this board would say, “BULLSHAT.  BULLSHAT.  BULLSHAT.”  You’re beyond the pale here.  I just rewatched that play, and there is *nothing* to suggest it was dirty.  It was a bang bang play in transition.  Both guys were flying through the air at full speed after running the length of the court, and *if* Baddley’s elbow does hit Markus’ head, it’s only because his arm would naturally, you know, go down after it went up in an attempt to block the shot.  Any contact to the head was incidental, not intentional.

There are numerous reasons why Marquette lost last night.  Some phantom dirty play you’re making up isn’t one of them.  And you saying it over and over at such a high volume will not make it true.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:19:03 PM by Silent Verbal »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 04:03:58 PM »

\
Would not be surprised if DePaul swept Wojos ass. Maybe you are right, the loss did not hurt MU. Except they were down two stud players, and Wojo blew the game, further demonstrating that the guy cant coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
\
Would not be surprised if DePaul swept Wojos ass. Maybe you are right, the loss did not hurt MU. Except they were down two stud players, and Wojo blew the game, further demonstrating that the guy cant coach.

That's what statistics don't account for....injuries.  Blown opportunity for a rare road win vs. a ranked team.  There aren't any give me's in this conference and it's not far fetched that MU could go winless on the road from here on out.   

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
6 projected 1 point games.  Going to continue to be a wild ride this year. More OT on the horizon.