[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friday Fun with the greatest MU photo ever  (Read 4643 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Friday Fun with the greatest MU photo ever
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »
If this doesn't bring a smile to your face, I don't know what will. Happy Friday! Go Marquette!

We Are Marquette

scooter

• Scholarship Player
Re: Friday Fun with the greatest MU photo ever
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »
I remember these guys like it was yesterday.
left to right:
Jim Boylan. Bill Neary, Ulice Payne, Butch Lee, Gary Rosenberger (bottom middle), Jim Dudley, Bernard Toone,  Jerome Whitehead, Craig Butrym, Robert Byrd, Bo Ellis

State

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
Can someone fill me in on the story behind the car?

As I recall it was produced in Milwaukee but no longer.  Does that ring any bells??

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »
I believe this was actually a Packard.  Not that I know what a Packard looked like, just that i had heard that before in reference to this photo.  The car that was manufactured in Milwaukee (West Allis actually) that is no longer made is the Excaliber.  Anyone out there who knows different feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't claim to be 100% sure of these things.

State

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:41 PM »
Ding Ding Ding....

even if the car in question isn't the Excaliber you helped answer my question (well--part of it)...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
cough..  just a little photoshop I did 5 years ago.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:43:08 AM »
Does anyone have access to a high res version of this poster?  I would really love to get it printed up.  I've gone through the archives at MU's library and they do not have it.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
There is a 6 degree of seperation to the Excalibur with this picture.  The picture was taken at the Brooks Stevens museum which is no longer at the same location or maybe in existence.  Brooks Stevens was an industrial designer whose company  designed the Excalibur.  The Brooks Stevens museum had a number of classic cars on display that Brooks Stevens had some part of the design process.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
cough..  just a little photoshop I did 5 years ago.

5 years! That's half a decade! Can you believe it's been five years? I still think about that trip to New Orleans all the time. What a great experience.
We Are Marquette

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »
Does anyone have access to a high res version of this poster?  I would really love to get it printed up.  I've gone through the archives at MU's library and they do not have it.

I'd love a printable copy of this too. I've always considered it the best team photo I've ever seen, for creativity, and fun factor.

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »

Since we're asking for things I might as well ask for something as well.  I'm looking to frame a poster size picture in my basement of DWade being carried by students that had rushed the court after the CUSA win over Cincinatti?  This picture has someone carrying the American flag in the backround which I think makes the picture that much better.  Which brings to mind, can someone in that section please bring that back the waving of the American flag during the game.  I think that's awesome!  And if someone can let me know how to get my hands on that picture, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »
I believe this was actually a Packard.  Not that I know what a Packard looked like, just that i had heard that before in reference to this photo.  The car that was manufactured in Milwaukee (West Allis actually) that is no longer made is the Excaliber.  Anyone out there who knows different feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't claim to be 100% sure of these things.

Wouldn't it be great if when you hit the horn on that car it played "Ring Out Ahoya?" Come to think of it, wouldn't it be great if you could get a "Ring Out Ahoya" horn on your car? I think I just came up with a million dollar invention!
We Are Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 07:37:35 AM »
This is really surprising.  I sent an inquiry into the library at MU and they really have no record of this incredibly classic poster.  They are still researching it.  Below is the response I received to their inquiry.  Hopefully the search on Monday that they reference will be more fruitful.

scott

Dear Mr. Kutcka,

Your request about obtaining a reproduction of the 1977 NCAA Championship Team where the team surrounds the trophy was forwarded to me for research and response.

I have searched our clipping files as well as the morgue for our student yearbook. Unfortunately, I have not located an original print showing the team with the trophy from 1977. I did locate a photo from much more recently with the gentlemen gathered round the trophy, but not a print taken at the time of the championship win.

We do have in our clipping file the April 14, 1977 issue of Basketball Weekly which includes on the cover a photo in which a fair number of the players are shown with the plaque and nets around their necks.  However, I don’t have rights to that image, so you’d need to follow up with the publication to see if they might be in a position to provide reproductions (it wouldn’t reproduce well from my copy in any case, as the newspaper has yellowed with age).

The one last option that I have would be a few posters that were produced in honor of the team.  I have not yet checked them, but will have a look at them on Monday and will get back to you at that time.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
Anyone check the athletic office?  I'd think they'd have memorabilia like that.

Nice job, TT.  You've probably jinxed us now!

romey

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 10:23:24 AM »
I can't believe that the university doesn't have this poster.  It's on the wall in my dad's basement - it's been there for 30 years.  I believe there is another poster of a team within a couple years of that squad also on his basement wall.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »
Great photoshopping all!  Great stuff!

I think there is an oriiginal poster at The Annex

Let's GO MARQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »
This is really surprising.  I sent an inquiry into the library at MU and they really have no record of this incredibly classic poster.  They are still researching it.  Below is the response I received to their inquiry.  Hopefully the search on Monday that they reference will be more fruitful.

scott

Dear Mr. Kutcka,

Your request about obtaining a reproduction of the 1977 NCAA Championship Team where the team surrounds the trophy was forwarded to me for research and response.

I have searched our clipping files as well as the morgue for our student yearbook. Unfortunately, I have not located an original print showing the team with the trophy from 1977. I did locate a photo from much more recently with the gentlemen gathered round the trophy, but not a print taken at the time of the championship win.

We do have in our clipping file the April 14, 1977 issue of Basketball Weekly which includes on the cover a photo in which a fair number of the players are shown with the plaque and nets around their necks.  However, I don’t have rights to that image, so you’d need to follow up with the publication to see if they might be in a position to provide reproductions (it wouldn’t reproduce well from my copy in any case, as the newspaper has yellowed with age).

The one last option that I have would be a few posters that were produced in honor of the team.  I have not yet checked them, but will have a look at them on Monday and will get back to you at that time.

In his reply he says that he is looking for a photo in which the team surrounds the trophy. Did you want one like that or this one where they surround the car? Maybe he's looking for the wrong thing. In any event, great job following up and getting a response. I'm impressed with your resourcefullness.
We Are Marquette

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »
Great catch AC.  I'll be sure to follow up with her to make sure we're talking Apples to Apples.

GO Marquette.

Cincinatti is evil and must be destroyed.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
Eureka! This is starting off to be a great day!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
Well AC thanks to the clarification you noticed the search of the archives proved fruitful.  The 20 x 30 print has been ordered.  They can also provide high res scans for the nominal cost of 5 bucks.

If anyone is interested you can contact the library archives via the MU home page.  Ask for Michelle as she is the student who helped me out.

sk

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
You can check out Bill Neary's sons at Catholic Memorial HS.  Tom has a good chance to play mid major college hoop.  Mike is a sophomore.  I can't read him yet. 

Hopefully they aren't as offensively challenged as their dad.  (just kidding..he played his role well at MU)

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
IIRC the picture was taken before the season and was in the media guide so obvioulsy the championship trophy was in the picture.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »
It had to be taken before the season because here is the senior day program from 1977.

Via the MU Scoop Wiki:

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 08:11:47 AM »
I think that you folks are dead on right, that photo must have been from earlier in the season and not after they won.  Regardless though, it's a classic photo. 

sk

god I hope we win today, this playing like crap is just depressing.

feedback