[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I didn't get to watch the game...  (Read 29433 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: I didn't get to watch the game...
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 10:01:52 PM »
Probably the best 40 minutes we've put together since USC, and to do it short-handed was a nice surprise. The role players did exactly what we needed them to do, Markus did Markus things, and the effort/focus was strong the whole game. Lots to like tonight.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 10:04:08 PM »
Some on this board are looking at immortality

Very Clever, Bravo.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:00 PM »
Dude, this is sports at every level. I don't know how you don't get this unless you're new to sports. Have you heard the term "this is a no win game"?. High level teams are held to a higher standard by fans and media. Let's hope MU does not fall out of that category.

Also, if certain players didn't transfer we would have been favored at SH.

Completely delusional.

If certain players hadn't transferred, we'd be a hot mess due to bad chemistry, and people from this board would be meeting outside Fiserv to reenact the fight scene from Ron Burgundy after each game.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 10:11:32 PM »
Opponent misses open shots, we are lucky.

We miss open shots, team sucks and Wojo can't coach.

Marquette wins = the other team sucked.
Other team wins = Marquette sucks.

This logic permeates a segment if all sports fans, not just here.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
Completely delusional.

If certain players hadn't transferred, we'd be a hot mess due to bad chemistry, and people from this board would be meeting outside Fiserv to reenact the fight scene from Ron Burgundy after each game.

Well I guess you're a firm "No-Jo" guy. You maybe right, I suppose I'm more of a "Pro-Jo" guy.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:03 PM »
Homer mentioned on the postgame show that all MU players that played (excluding the club trillion crew) had 3 or more rebounds. Symir even grabbed 4! That has to be one of the better rebounding efforts we've had in conference play in recent years, right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »

Wait, is that an option? Scoop meetup, AND THE STREETS WILL RUN BLUE WITH MARQUETTE FAN BLOOD!!!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 10:33:42 PM »
not new. but I grew up as a fan of the Chargers and Padres. maybe that made me less "rabid" in comparison to other fan bases. every win was a gift, and the losses were opportunities for growth. I don't think either type of fan is better than the other tho. it's just how I am. hope I'm still welcome to lurk.
Always welcome here. While I'm sorry your a San Diego fan  ;), I'm guessing you grew up in that area, so I'm jealous of you.

MU is a great university with great people and great alumni. The program has done great things and we should expect great things based upon the resources MU spends. MU > Padres.  ;D

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »
Team played well, but Xavier missed a ton of shots. They had open looks as well. But, MU battled on the boards as a team, unlike the Providence game.

That's what Xavier does this year. They were open with good reason.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
Wait, is that an option? Scoop meetup, AND THE STREETS WILL RUN BLUE WITH MARQUETTE FAN BLOOD!!!

Dibs on the trident
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 10:43:12 PM »
we don't see optimism after January home games we're supposed to win, but conversely we do see pessimism after January road games we're supposed to lose.

I don't get it, but I accept that it is what it is I guess.

Fantastic post, sir. Please continue to contribute.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 10:45:31 PM »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
Marquette wins = the other team sucked.
Other team wins = Marquette sucks.

This logic permeates a segment if all sports fans, not just here.

Crazy is universal

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 11:16:47 PM »

Yep. Lots of crazy chucking of 3s at the end. The X fans at the table next to me were saying a lot of what this board says when they did it--called it undisciplined, rushed and dumb. Although they then talked about the new class for 2020 and how exciting next year would be.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »
Four different MU players scored before Markus took his first shot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:52 PM »
Dude, this is sports at every level. I don't know how you don't get this unless you're new to sports. Have you heard the term "this is a no win game"?. High level teams are held to a higher standard by fans and media. Let's hope MU does not fall out of that category.

Also, if certain players didn't transfer we would have been favored at SH.

No we wouldn't have.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »
Thought it was maybe our best performance of the year.

However, until we string together some victories and make a little noise in March - I don’t think you will see a lot of exuberant optimism threads started after winning a January home game against a team we were supposed to beat.

This is where I'm at.  Loved the win tonight.  Fantastic game, moved the ball mostly really well.  Bigs contributed big time.  Zero to complain about.  Hope Ed & Greg are back soon.

This all said, until we see some consistency from this team, it feels too much like fools gold to get overly excited...yet.  But I was impressed tonight and hope we see more of this in the next game.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »

This.

I guess some folks think it's impossible that the defensive gameplan was to invite a poor-shooting team to take 3s rather than go into the paint.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 04:34:17 AM »
Look, Xavier went 6 of 25 from the arc. They missed a ton of shots. Thats the truth.

unnatural carnal knowledge not everything on this board has to end up a take for or against Wojo.
According to Tower, the voice of Wojo impartiality, it is a take of people against Wojo. I am glad the Warriors looked good and won. Also hope we can string a few wins. We need them. Xavier is not very good this year. Let's see how we fare against GT.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 04:37:44 AM »
Let me try.

1. Marquette played like a team that has been reading comments on scoop for the last four days.
2. Everybody not named Markus also contributed offensively.
3. Bully ball by our bigs.  ( A little alliteration aina. )
4. Up tempo offense. Sloppy at times, superb at others. Transition threes.
5. Physical defense and rebounding.(see point no.3)
6. Symir is gonna be really good...... when he settles the hell down.
7. Brendan might be better than Joey.
8. Do I really have to bother mentioning Markus?????  OK, he was great.
9. No let down in intensity.
10. Truly a tremendous team triumph( yeah alliteration is fun )
Brendan "might" be better than Joey. Does that also mean that Joey might be better than Brendan?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2020, 05:34:40 AM »
This.

I guess some folks think it's impossible that the defensive gameplan was to invite a poor-shooting team to take 3s rather than go into the paint.

Maybe our luck is changing.  Have seen this strategy lead to career days from previously poor shooting players in the past (Samuels from Villanova comes to mind).  Glad we got the win. Let’s take care of GT and get on a roll!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2020, 06:22:26 AM »
This.

Agree.  Defense and rebounding were the key to the easy win.  We needed this one, and it is encouraging that we took it easily against a team that also really needed it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
Maybe our luck is changing.  Have seen this strategy lead to career days from previously poor shooting players in the past (Samuels from Villanova comes to mind).  Glad we got the win. Let’s take care of GT and get on a roll!

The Samuels game and maybe a couple others were outliers IMHO. Think about how often defenses dared Derrick Wilson, Junior, Dom, Vander, etc to shoot. IIRC, many opponents dared the entire 2012-13 and 2013-14 MU teams to shoot 3s.

Defenses can't stop everything. You pick your poison. Siding to make a lousy-shooting team like X beat you from the perimeter is practically a no-brainer. Was there a chance that X could get hot for that one game? Sure. But preparing a team for a game is almost always about playing the percentages.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
Does anyone know which assistant was responsible for the scout/gameplan for this game?  It was effective on both ends of the floor.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
The Samuels game and maybe a couple others were outliers IMHO. Think about how often defenses dared Derrick Wilson, Junior, Dom, Vander, etc to shoot. IIRC, many opponents dared the entire 2012-13 and 2013-14 MU teams to shoot 3s.

Defenses can't stop everything. You pick your poison. Siding to make a lousy-shooting team like X beat you from the perimeter is practically a no-brainer. Was there a chance that X could get hot for that one game? Sure. But preparing a team for a game is almost always about playing the percentages.

Oh, I definitely agree with you.  I just tend to remember the outliers.  I was the same way taking tests.  Always ruminating on the questions I thought I got wrong and never on the 80-90% of the questions that were no-brainers.

feedback