[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I didn't get to watch the game...  (Read 29432 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: I didn't get to watch the game...
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »
As someone generally sympathetic to Wojo, his post-game for Providence was atrocious around the fouling up 3 as was his situational coaching in the last 5.5 minutes of that game. He stated that fouling with 19 seconds left was too much time, which is true but once the clock got under 7 seconds with the ball in the front court it was absolutely the right time to foul before Providence even initiated offense.

I'm prefacing this list by saying Wojo is typically very good with his situationals which is why I noticed all of these. Also they interestingly increase in brain cramp level so maybe Wojo just had a really bad day:
1. Does not foul while up 3 with the ball in the front court and under 7 seconds
2. Providence ties with 4 seconds left and Wojo calls a TO with 2 seniors and 2 juniors on the court. Gives Providence the chance to set their D instead of letting the greatest scorer in MU history try to create in a frantic situation
3. BB goes to the line shooting 3 FTs to tie and the following series of brain cramps happen
    a. Wojo chooses to sub in McEwen for.....reasons, essentially icing his own shooter with one FT to go
    b. Wojo chooses not to sub his best rebounders INTO the game leaving Sacar and Cain as the primary rebounders on a must get rebound if BB misses
    c. Seemingly forgets to remind Cain and Sacar to foul if they don't get the rebound and Cain forget which bleeds 3 seconds off the clock (probably nitpicky because        Cain should just know that but....didn't somehow)
4. With Providence at the line with 1.7 seconds on the clock likely to miss the 2nd FT intentionally Wojo calls his last time out virtually assuring there will be no shot to win

Like I said, it was abnormal for Wojo but that's about the worst collection of coaching fails I've seen in a while.

1. I would have liked to foul up 3 with about 7 seconds left, but there are plenty of coaches -- HoF coaches -- who don't do it. If it's a "no-brainer" (you didn't use that word, but others have) then Majerus, Calipari and several others have no brains.

2. I also would have rather let them go without a time-out, but as wades said, as many coaches (including, again, very good ones) will call a time-out there. My beef is actually with the players because it looked like we had a shot at a good play -- McEwen was inbounding and Markus had curled around and was actually open going toward our offensive goal. Hit Markus on the run, and he has a chance to get off a real nice shot in rhythm, maybe something similar (or even better) than the one Junior took vs UConn.

3. My thought was that he iced BB, too, but you do have to get your men on the floor. I have no problem with the rebounders he chose. If he forgot to remind the team they needed to foul on a miss, that's bad.

4. Bad coaching, for sure. I yelled at the TV when he called that time-out. At that moment, we went from having very little chance to having zero chance.

So I'm not as disappointed with that entire sequence as you are, but he definitely had chances to give us a better shot at winning. I will say that if McEwen had hit Markus in stride there and Markus had swished a 27-footer to win, folks would have praising Wojo for the play he drew up. Well ... at least some folks would have ... others would have criticized him because it wasn't the play they would have drawn up, as at the end of regulation at Creighton last season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
I had not seen this addressed anywhere else and frankly I didn't want to start a whole new thread on just this topic so I figured the game recap fits as well as any.

What about the booing last night once Wojo was announced?  I'm 44, have been a STH since the KO era.  I cannot remember anything like what I heard. 

That had to be a shock to Lovell and Scholl.  I missed the Nova game.  Was it similar?  Frankly I found it a little jarring.  Glad the team won in the fashion they did.  I'm not a ProJo but I don't want to have the end of this season turning into a Philly sporting event.

(and yes I am on the record that coaching in front of thousands booing is better than being Patrick Baldwin and coaching in front of dozens clapping)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
I really doubt it was a “shock” to Lovell and Scholl.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »

Especially since it happened before.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32:49 PM »
I had not seen this addressed anywhere else and frankly I didn't want to start a whole new thread on just this topic so I figured the game recap fits as well as any.

What about the booing last night once Wojo was announced?  I'm 44, have been a STH since the KO era.  I cannot remember anything like what I heard. 

That had to be a shock to Lovell and Scholl.  I missed the Nova game.  Was it similar?  Frankly I found it a little jarring.  Glad the team won in the fashion they did.  I'm not a ProJo but I don't want to have the end of this season turning into a Philly sporting event.

(and yes I am on the record that coaching in front of thousands booing is better than being Patrick Baldwin and coaching in front of dozens clapping)

Some people may be in for a rude awakening for they may get what they wish for.

I also think the Milwaukee sports fan is feeling a bit more jacked these days than they have for most of the last 40 years and so they are acting stupidly.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »

Wait, Buzz is returning? I missed that.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »

Well said. MU fans are the biggest bunch of self entitled, basketball idiots in the country.

Until MU commits to spend something close to what other top 100 programs do, until MU finds a halfway decent place to play games and until MU has something better than the current crappy practice facility, dumbass MU fans should kiss the ground Wojo walks on because MU will NEVER find a coach as good as Wojo.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
Well said. MU fans are the biggest bunch of self entitled, basketball idiots in the country.

Until MU commits to spend something close to what other top 100 programs do, until MU finds a halfway decent place to play games and until MU has something better than the current crappy practice facility, dumbass MU fans should kiss the ground Wojo walks on because MU will NEVER find a coach as good as Wojo.

It’s odd how major football powers in major conferences, huge alumni bases have it all...fired their coach and cannot get back to the level they hated and fired the first coach for.  Same for some basketball schools. But we’ll ignore that I guess....because MU’s hiring track record for head coaches is rocking at 100%.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »
It’s odd how major football powers in major conferences, huge alumni bases have it all...fired their coach and cannot get back to the level they hated and fired the first coach for.  Same for some basketball schools. But we’ll ignore that I guess....because MU’s hiring track record for head coaches is rocking at 100%.
LSU endorses this message.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:19 PM »

LOL....great proxy for MU. LOL

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2020, 10:52:36 PM »
So does UK
 and,
  Florida State
  Villanova
  Miami
  UNC
  Alabama
  USC
  Michigan
  Florida
  Minnesota
  ASU
  ect.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2020, 10:55:34 PM »
LOL....great proxy for MU. LOL
Your words..."major football powers in major conferences, huge alumni bases have it all"

Your right, that's not LSU at all. LSU did a great job for being a small school from the MWC.

Own your own post.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2020, 10:56:13 PM »
So does UK
 and,
  Florida State
  Villanova
  Miami
  UNC
  Alabama
  USC
  Michigan
  Florida
  Minnesota
  ASU
  ect.

You may want to review your history again with that list.  And oh by the way, all of them more prestigious than MU athletically, more money, etc. 

While you are at it, make sure to look at Tennessee football, UCLA basketball, etc. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »

In hunkydory-land, I bet it was a shock. I mean unless Doc Rivers is blowing up their phone everyday booing. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2020, 10:59:35 PM »

You may want to review your history again with that list.  And oh by the way, all of them more prestigious than MU athletically, more money, etc. 

While you are at it, make sure to look at Tennessee football, UCLA basketball, etc.

Please go read YOUR OWN post!

BTW, I've very comfortable with the list I provided.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2020, 11:03:12 PM »
Your words..."major football powers in major conferences, huge alumni bases have it all"

Your right, that's not LSU at all. LSU did a great job for being a small school from the MWC.

Own your own post.

LOL...I do.  I didn’t say all, nor implied it.  Examples like Tennessee, UCLA, etc, run off a coach and take years, decades to recover.  Be careful what you wish for, especially with a school like MU.  Resources are not unlimited.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »

Actually it’s nearly 100%

KO - S16
Deane - 100 wins in 5 years
TC - Final Four
Buzz - 2nd best coach in MU history
Wojo - well we cant all be perfect

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »
LOL...I do.  I didn’t say all, nor implied it.  Examples like Tennessee, UCLA, etc, run off a coach and take years, decades to recover.  Be careful what you wish for, especially with a school like MU.  Resources are not unlimited.
LOL... So what's your point? Sometimes schools get it right and move on from somewhat successful coaches to better coaches and sometimes they don't?

I guess your point is MU's AD and leadership can not be trusted to find a better coach than Wojo.

We can have an honest disagreement about that position. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2020, 11:23:53 PM »
Actually it’s nearly 100%

KO - S16
Deane - 100 wins in 5 years
TC - Final Four
Buzz - 2nd best coach in MU history
Wojo - well we cant all be perfect

Hank Raymonds ( should have gone outside the family)
Rick Majerus (not ready)
Bob Dukiet
Deane was going the wrong way with no hope on recovery

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2020, 11:26:49 PM »
LOL... So what's your point? Sometimes schools get it right and move on from somewhat successful coaches to better coaches and sometimes they don't?

I guess your point is MU's AD and leadership can not be trusted to find a better coach than Wojo.

We can have an honest disagreement about that position.

That’s exactly my point, be careful what you wish for because as our own hiring history has shown you can go backwards or lose a ton of years in search of your unicorn.  That may be a risk worth taking, I don’t think it is currently.

My point is I don’t want to start over again, but feel free to boo loudly at the next game all you wish.  Amerika

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »
That’s exactly my point, be careful what you wish for because as our own hiring history has shown you can go backwards or lose a ton of years in search of your unicorn.  That may be a risk worth taking, I don’t think it is currently.

My point is I don’t want to start over again, but feel free to boo loudly at the next game all you wish.  Amerika
Fair enough. Sorry you have such little faith in MU and what it offers.

For the record, I supported Wojo's extension, I don't want him fired and I would not boo Wojo.

I'm PRO-MU!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »
Hank Raymonds ( should have gone outside the family)
Rick Majerus (not ready)
Bob Dukiet
Deane was going the wrong way with no hope on recovery

The modern era of MU hoops was started when we hired KO.  We reset expectations then.  For instance, coaches could claim 100 wins in 5 years and still be fired.  We held those same expectations as we fired Buzz for missing the tourney and going 9-9 in conference.  Somehow in the transition of power at Gesu, Wild forgot to instruct Lovell on the same expectations.  Maybe the booing will instruct him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2020, 11:42:15 PM »
Fair enough. Sorry you have such little faith in MU and what it offers.

For the record, I supported Wojo's extension, I don't want him fired and I would not boo Wojo.

I'm PRO-MU!!

It’s not a matter of faith, it’s a matter of who is going to MU.  Head coaches aren’t and has been proven time and time again.  On the rare occasion we do, we get Deane and Dukiet...guys not used to recruiting high level players.  Therefore it is a roll of the dice with assistants.  That’s tough to get right consistent,y, I don’t care who is in the administration.  And on the chance we get a good one,..they don’t stay around that long.

I’m PRO MU, too.  I’m also pragmatic and a study of history.  Until MU bucks our own trend, that’s what I’m going by.   Has Scholl ever hired a major sport coach as an AD?  Will they go to an outside agency...many of which have been less than stellar with their recommendations.  I worked there when we let Deane go and hired Crean.  You make a bad hire and you are one additional hire away from going on a 8 to 10 year run of crap....it can happen and a school like MU will take longer to get out of it than a big state school.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2020, 11:46:46 PM »
The modern era of MU hoops was started when we hired KO.  We reset expectations then.  For instance, coaches could claim 100 wins in 5 years and still be fired.  We held those same expectations as we fired Buzz for missing the tourney and going 9-9 in conference.  Somehow in the transition of power at Gesu, Wild forgot to instruct Lovell on the same expectations.  Maybe the booing will instruct him.

That’s a convenient starting point.

It made me laugh that Buzz was fired comment...the transition of power said the new sheriff had to own a set of ethical standards in addition to winning games.  Maybe the booing will land him an extension.  Some of the boomers still pissed the b-ball coach doesn’t drink with them after games at the local bars...they can boo all they want.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2020, 11:47:45 PM »

Because 12-6 < 9-9 and a 5 seed last year = missing the tournament

feedback