Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The 2 coaches that would get MU to next level  (Read 10186 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: The 2 coaches that would get MU to next level
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
One would never leave the NBA and that is Doc Rivers and the other one the University would never hire is Rick Pitino.How satisfied is the President and AD along with the board of trustees in where the Mens basketball program is?That is the question.Do they want to win at a high level or be competitive and have a very clean program?

It blows my mind what you are really saying.   What you are really saying is to win, you have to not have a clean program.   What low standards some people have.  I absolutely reject the notion.

There are plenty of programs that win without the crap that goes along with not having a clean program.  Shouldn't your question be ....run a clean program AND be high level competitive?  Of course it should, and can be done because it is being done elsewhere.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »
Correct, I meant last year in a hypothetical scenario. I am not anti-Wojo. I would classify myself as a so-so/Basic Pr hybrid. I hope he succeeds. I just thought Oats would have been a great fit when there was discussion of Wojo potentially leaving for another opening last year and if we need to hire in the next few years (for whatever reason), I hope there is extreme mutual interest between us & him.

He certainly would have been on the list. One of the sensible up and comers, along the lines of TJO.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
I'd promote Stan
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 12:13:50 PM »
Another unproven assistant?  Who's resume isn't as strong as Wojo's was 6 years ago?   Elaborate, please. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:26:56 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »
I was not talking about 2014.

Correct, I meant last year in a hypothetical scenario. I am not anti-Wojo. I would classify myself as a so-so/Basic Pr hybrid. I hope he succeeds. I just thought Oats would have been a great fit when there was discussion of Wojo potentially leaving for another opening last year and if we need to hire in the next few years (for whatever reason), I hope there is extreme mutual interest between us & him.

Ah. I understand. We mostly agree, EFR, as usual.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
If Wojo were to leave for more lucrative pastures (he isn't getting fired this year), I am curious as to the health status of the former Buckeye head coach.   I would love to see the different variations of 'free throws no Matta' if the ft shooting percentage fluctuated.

Wiping floors no Matta?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »
If Wojo were to leave for more lucrative pastures (he isn't getting fired this year), I am curious as to the health status of the former Buckeye head coach.   I would love to see the different variations of 'free throws no Matta' if the ft shooting percentage fluctuated.

Matta's last four years would have MU fans here crying it isn't enough.  First round loss.  Second round loss. NIT.  No tournament of any kind.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 12:44:31 PM »
I'd promote Stan

I don't get the blind love for Stan. If he was so great why isn't he a head coach already? Classic back-up quarterback thinking here.

He's less accomplished as an assistant than Wojo was when he was hired.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
Matta's last four years would have MU fans here crying it isn't enough.  First round loss.  Second round loss. NIT.  No tournament of any kind.
We agree that Wojo is not likely to get fired and on the reasons for that.    If he leaves, however, he is going to have to be replaced.    A case can be made that OSU's downward spiral paralleled Matta's health issues.    If he is healthy and recharged, MU could do a lot worse.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »
That beats any four year stretch of Wojo's.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Here’s the case I can see for Stan; he’d be able to keep our team and incoming recruits in tact (presumably), and he brings the added benefit of maybe being able to coach a team up (this appeals to those who’ve concluded Wojo cannot).
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »
We agree that Wojo is not likely to get fired and on the reasons for that.    If he leaves, however, he is going to have to be replaced.    A case can be made that OSU's downward spiral paralleled Matta's health issues.    If he is healthy and recharged, MU could do a lot worse.

I suspect a lot of other programs have kicked those tires on him and he hasn't jumped back in for whatever reasons.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
Here’s the case I can see for Stan; he’d be able to keep our team and incoming recruits in tact (presumably), and he brings the added benefit of maybe being able to coach a team up (this appeals to those who’ve concluded Wojo cannot).

In summary, another roll of the dice.  He's part of the same staff today that scouts teams, coaches players that many of you think aren't getting the job done, recruits players (that many of you think are not high major).  Just a reminder.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Just for fun, .....the first year in a new place coach off to a solid start is Eric Musselman at Arkansas.  He’s winning some ball games, and locking down some pretty good top 100 recruits including two in state players for the future.

He made 3 of 4 NCAA’s at Nevada including a Sweet 16.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
Ah. I understand. We mostly agree, EFR, as usual.

Agreed on mostly agreeing as per usual!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 01:19:44 PM »
That beats any four year stretch of Wojo's.

Except that he regressed and got worse, Wojo has gotten better. 

He also went from 5th, to 6th, to 7th, to 10th.  Wojo has gone the other direction on standings, too.

So I'll disagree on your point.  I can just imagine coming off an Elite 8 and a Final four to follow-up with 1st round loss, 2nd round loss, NIT 2nd round, no tournament.....MU Scoop would be ecstatic.   I'd also point out that Matta has been head coaching 17 years...Wojo is on 5.5.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
Just for fun, .....the first year in a new place coach off to a solid start is Eric Musselman at Arkansas.  He’s winning some ball games, and locking down some pretty good top 100 recruits including two in state players for the future.

Shhhhhh...don't spew these facts to loud, Chicos will call you on them, or spin them somehow. We get told repeatedly how rebuilds take time and that all the recruits leave etc. Even though it has been proven time and time again that is complete and total bullcrap. This is one very good example of it, and Nate Oates is another, where recruits didn't leave, and not only that after basically their entire core had entered the transfer portal, he managed to keep damn near all of them. Imagine that! Maybe, just maybe it depends on the Coach that is brought in?? Nah, can't be.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Shhhhhh...don't spew these facts to loud, Chicos will call you on them, or spin them somehow. We get told repeatedly how rebuilds take time and that all the recruits leave etc. Even though it has been proven time and time again that is complete and total bullcrap. This is one very good example of it, and Nate Oates is another, where recruits didn't leave, and not only that after basically their entire core had entered the transfer portal, he managed to keep damn near all of them. Imagine that! Maybe, just maybe it depends on the Coach that is brought in?? Nah, can't be.

LOL.  Each new coaching situation is different Guru, please tell me you acknowledge this fact.  Buzz walked into a situation with Wesley Matthews, Dominic James, Jerel McNeal all seniors.  Is that the same situation other coaches walk into, let alone Wojo? 

Musselman took over an Arkansas NIT team from last year....Wojo took over a team that couldn't even make the NIT.  Last year's Arkansas team described as "EXTREMELY YOUNG".  ~70% of their minutes came back this year, including two guys that averaged 14 points per game.  Their point guard...a returning senior. 

Arkansas finished 54th last year in Ken Pom. 

Nah, can't be. 

Please....get real.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:44:48 PM by Cheeks »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
I find it peculiar that so many want to boot Wojo and start over, yet see the answer of promoting Stan, which would be the opposite of starting over, as preferable. Do you want a new direction or not?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
I find it peculiar that so many want to boot Wojo and start over, yet see the answer of promoting Stan, which would be the opposite of starting over, as preferable. Do you want a new direction or not?

I agree, but it is the default 'have your cake and eat it too' position.  Then again keeping Stan on staff with a new coach would achieve the same.  I'm just not sure we have that kind of relationship with him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »

Musselman would be a fantastic hire.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »
I don't get the blind love for Stan. If he was so great why isn't he a head coach already? Classic back-up quarterback thinking here.

He's less accomplished as an assistant than Wojo was when he was hired.

What if someone were, say, an assistant coach for 15 years?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 10:34:58 PM »
Musselman would be a fantastic hire.

Unless a ton of money is thrown at him, why would a coach leave Arkansas to go to a Big East school?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2020, 10:43:48 PM »
I'd promote Stan

+1

This.  The players seem like they would run through a wall for him.   

Keep in mind that Stan isn't merely an assistant coach, he's associate head coach.  Wojo leaves, promote Stan to full head coach.  If he can show that he can keep the class in place, he gets two years to see what he can do. 

Then what happens?  Dick Strong comes back.  Money flows in.  The Wisconsin recruiting bridges that Wojo set on fire (e.g., Wally, Hausers, SwaggyDu) suddenly dissipate.  Chicagoland recruiting opens up because Stan is not chummy with Collins.  Sweet sixteens are won.  I can see it now. 

(To play my own devil's advocate, maybe the players gravitate toward Stan because Wojo is so demotivating, i.e., there's a good cop/bad cop thing going on.)