Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Road Ready  (Read 10370 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Road Ready
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »

Time to bounce back and man up. I hope Wojo has the answers.

This is year 6. It's obvious he doesn't.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »
People love to point out that the Hausers left and how important they were last year. I agree, they were, last year.

This is a new year and Wojo is having to retool the team. Sam and Joey averaged about 30 mins a game at their positions. That is a heck of a lot to replace.

This years guys don't have the chemistry that the brothers had and that takes time. I've seen flashes, like the Villanova game, and during the point swing in the PC game, but not often enough during all conference games.

If Wojo did have his top three scorers back from last year I would agree that the teams subpar performance to date was a serious indictment of his coaching. But he doesn't. I won't play the blame game with the Hausers as long as people don't act like their departure didn't create challenges for Wojo and the team. It did.
Your rationalization is comical. How does any of that have to do with having a team prepared. That's job one of any coach. I bet MU82 had his junior high girls team prepared.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:24 PM »
So in your mind today is one of accomplishment for Wojo because (for the first half of the first half anyway) he had them prepared (I.e., making shots).

Wow.

Unlike many on this board, I'll reserve my final assessment of Wojos accomplishments for this season until the season is over. My assessment of this one road game, was that he had them better prepared to start the game. A constant criticism from people, myself included, is about the team not being prepared at the start of games. Today it was. Should I rewrite history to suit you?

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
Unlike many on this board, I'll reserve my final assessment of Wojos accomplishments for this season until the season is over. My assessment of this one road game, was that he had them better prepared to start the game. A constant criticism from people, myself included, is about the team not being prepared at the start of games. Today it was. Should I rewrite history to suit you?

Wojo teams have usually started games very well. It’s a matter of fm finishing those pesky ones off that they’ve always struggled with.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »
You are embarrassing yourself

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »
Wojo teams have usually started games very well. It’s a matter of fm finishing those pesky ones off that they’ve always struggled with.

I'm not sure there's necessarily been consistency about starting well or finishing poorly. The one thing that has been pretty consistent, this year especially, has been an inability to play 40 solid minutes of good (or less than bad) basketball. The USC game was pretty darn good start to finish, but outside of that, we've had some really ugly stretches in most of our games against high major opponents. I don't get it.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »
Whoa & Muta, dream on. I hate to say it but this is not a good team.

Another annoying thing is that after the 5-min. mark it was apparent that Markus had made his last pass. He was thinking 30, 30, and only 30. It was the first time I had seen that in him so obviously and it didn’t give me a good feeling.

panda

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 09:57:44 PM »
I'm not sure there's necessarily been consistency about starting well or finishing poorly. The one thing that has been pretty consistent, this year especially, has been an inability to play 40 solid minutes of good (or less than bad) basketball. The USC game was pretty darn good start to finish, but outside of that, we've had some really ugly stretches in most of our games against high major opponents. I don't get it.

I agree w your point re this season. I was talking about the inability to finish games throughout the Wojo era.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:15 PM »

Great.  We look forward to hearing your assessment at the seasons end. Until then, please feel free to take a hiatus. Your posts only inspire more criticism of Wojo.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »
Your rationalization is comical. How does any of that have to do with having a team prepared. That's job one of any coach. I bet MU82 had his junior high girls team prepared.

Thought it was obvious. Preparing a veteran team that is used to playing together is not the same as trying to prepare a less experienced team whose players are learning their roles, adjusting to increased minutes, getting comfortable with their teammates, etc.
So yeah, preparing this years team for a strong start on the road against a tough team was an accomplishment. The next step is consistency and finishing games.

This is not a team with a lot of experience in big east play at several key positions. If they had top shelf talent some of that could be overcome.
Why do yo think many of us cite the incoming class as a reason to keep Wojo?
If Marquette gets Mane to join next years class many of the problems caused by lack of experience will be overcome by talent. IMHO

This leads back to my belief that players are more important than coaches. I'll take Michael Jordan over Phil Jackson any day of the week.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 11:12:09 PM »
So the team seemed prepared and started strong on the road against a tough team.

Marquettes bigs got outplayed on both ends, and next years recruiting class addresses that weakness.

Markus has been allowed to showcase his offensive skills. This might help Marquette land Karim Mane and  secure a top ten recruiting class.

Guys missed open shots and key free throws and the game was still within reach with 5 mins to go.

This post is in response to the negative posts  appearing on scoop. It is intended to remind people that some good things are happening despite the doom and gloom some seem to thrive on.

Wojo had the team prepared, for a road game no less.

Wojo has addressed Marquettes lack of production from our bigs through his recruiting.

Wojo is attempting to address the departure of Markus Howard by enticing Karim Mane.

The team didn't stop fighting on the road but just couldn't hit shots.

This has been a public service announcement to promote a positive outlook on the future. You may return to your regular negativity now.

We lost by double digits. Again.  We are 1-3 in conference.  Despite your attempts to defend the pathetic coaching, the fact remains:. You are what your record says you are.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »
Whoa & Muta, dream on. I hate to say it but this is not a good team.

Another annoying thing is that after the 5-min. mark it was apparent that Markus had made his last pass. He was thinking 30, 30, and only 30. It was the first time I had seen that in him so obviously and it didn’t give me a good feeling.

Maybe after watching the 3 frontcourt starters go 3-21, he decided he had a better chance of making more than they did.

We lost because MH didn't shoot enough - not because he took too many shots.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 11:21:02 PM »

Someone else posted that Wojos record in close games is very good.

Falling behind early seems to lead to Markus trying to get it back with threes. When it works it's spectacular, when it doesn't it can lead to blowouts.

Regardless, this team is still adjusting after losing the Hausers. It's gonna take a minute.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »
Regardless, this team is still adjusting after losing the Hausers. It's gonna take a minute.

Half a season? Plus a foreign tour?

It's been a lot of minutes. And it's clear why they didn't want to stick around.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:18 PM »
I want to go back to touch on my comment about lack of toughness. I don't wanna be the guy who says it was better the way Al did it or the way it was done 40+ years ago.

But there was a very definite reason why Al recruited NYC and Chicago. He wanted the tough city kids who learned their game on the playgrounds. Now we have suburb type guys. Not tough enough. Not willing to do the dirty work. Just play that AAU ball and run up and down the court and play the easy defense with your arms instead of your feet.

I think the complete lack of toughness is the biggest failing of the teams under Wojo.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2020, 11:33:18 PM »

The Villanova game was pretty good start to finish, but I agree with your point.  I just think falling behind early leads to bad Markus at times which can lead to blowouts. If we can start out strong consistently that's a start. I'm not greedy.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »
Thought it was obvious. Preparing a veteran team that is used to playing together is not the same as trying to prepare a less experienced team whose players are learning their roles, adjusting to increased minutes, getting comfortable with their teammates, etc.
So yeah, preparing this years team for a strong start on the road against a tough team was an accomplishment. The next step is consistency and finishing games.

You can't be serious calling this a less experienced team. Our lineup has 3 5th year seniors (!!!), a senior All American/NPOY candidate, a redshirt junior, 2 juniors, a 22 year old sophomore, a redshirt sophomore, and one freshman. We are as old and experienced as you'll find in college hoops.

Awful, horrible, no good take.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2020, 11:37:49 PM »
Great.  We look forward to hearing your assessment at the seasons end. Until then, please feel free to take a hiatus. Your posts only inspire more criticism of Wojo.

Is that even possible?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »
I want to go back to touch on my comment about lack of toughness. I don't wanna be the guy who says it was better the way Al did it or the way it was done 40+ years ago.

But there was a very definite reason why Al recruited NYC and Chicago. He wanted the tough city kids who learned their game on the playgrounds. Now we have suburb type guys. Not tough enough. Not willing to do the dirty work. Just play that AAU ball and run up and down the court and play the easy defense with your arms instead of your feet.

I think the complete lack of toughness is the biggest failing of the teams under Wojo.

Very valid point.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2020, 11:40:47 PM »

Stop embarrassing yourself. "gonna take a minute"?? LOL!

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 12:11:45 AM »
You can't be serious calling this a less experienced team. Our lineup has 3 5th year seniors (!!!), a senior All American/NPOY candidate, a redshirt junior, 2 juniors, a 22 year old sophomore, a redshirt sophomore, and one freshman. We are as old and experienced as you'll find in college hoops.

Awful, horrible, no good take.

Koby had zero big east experience before this year and hadn't played in a game with this team before this year. Same with Jayce. Greg didn't play at all last year. Brendan has a different role with higher expectations, and the most important point,
The Hausers are gone.

Their departure completely changed the chemistry and the playing style of the team. Not to mention over 60 minutes a game between the two of them that now has to be filled by guys with completely different skill sets. Do people really think it's that easy to replace guys like Sam and Joey and not miss a step?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:21:33 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 12:28:51 AM »
Koby had zero big east experience before this year and hadn't played in a game with this team before this year. Same with Jayce. Greg didn't play at all last year. Brendan has a different role with higher expectations, and the most important point,
The Hausers are gone.

Their departure completely changed the chemistry and the playing style of the team. Not to mention over 60 minutes a game between the two of them that now has to be filled by guys with completely different skill sets. Do people really think it's that easy to replace guys like Sam and Joey and not miss a step?

This is silly. Today was game #16 of the season. The season is now over 50% complete. In addition, these guys have been practicing and playing together since the summer due to the European trip.

And, yes, replacing the Hausers wasn't going to happen. Tough crap for Wojo. MU is not the type of program that can afford to watch talent like that just walk out the door.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 12:40:26 AM »

Here's a riddle for you.  Top prospect is born and raised in the burbs.  Shops at the Gap at the Outlet Mall in the burbs.  Goes to college in the burbs.

But the college is a junior college.

Quick, what does Wojo do?

Seriously though, I think I see what you're trying to say, but there's a bunch of guys from the city on the roster.  The toughness may be there, but perhaps it's simply not being extracted.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 12:43:39 AM »
Score was not deceiving - Seton Hall clearly had better PG, better post players, and was able to adapt in the last part of the first half and all second half (i.e better coach)...

One team is 4 -0 and one team is 1 -3....  which one is way better 

It's crazy how the wojo slurpers will go out of their way to point out to the good  in crap game....

But Wojo said the final score was deceiving! So we got that going for us anyway...

Look, it was a two-possession game (after McEwen's three) and we shot 19% from the field in the second half. So the score is a little bit deceiving.