[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christmas/Other Holiday Traditions?  (Read 15283 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Christmas/Other Holiday Traditions?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
Poll released today. 

Most Americans prefer overwhelmingly Merry Christmas over Happy Holidays

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/no-war-on-christmas-this-season-st-leo-university-poll-says/

Definitely part of our tradition. 

Also shows an increase in Americans celebrating Christmas this year...perhaps because of the booming economic times?  I’m glad some traditions will keep going strong as people embrace the holiday.

Merry Christmas

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
Poll released today. 

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/no-war-on-christmas-this-season-st-leo-university-poll-says/

Also shows an increase in Americans celebrating Christmas this year...perhaps because of the booming economic times?  I’m glad some traditions will keep going strong as people embrace the holiday.

Merry Christmas

Please keep your political commentary away from threads meant to bring people together.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Poll released today. 

Merry Christmas

The fact that people get riled up over one saying or the other is dumb.

Happy Honda Days.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:55:52 AM by Coleman »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »
Poll released today. 

Merry Christmas

Why do this? Nobody here has told you not to say Merry Christmas
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »

He can't resist. This is a prime example of him actively trying to take a thread and turn it toxic with absolutely no provocation and yet he'll claim it wasn't his fault or that his intentions were innocent which they clearly aren't as he's been sniping for months with MU82 about this.

Then there's a political element added.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
Please keep your political commentary away from threads meant to bring people together.

It isn't political commentary.  This thread is about Christmas traditions.  Part of the traditions we have as a people is saying Merry Christmas or other such things.  Those traditions seem to be making a comeback. 

Sometimes you guys go looking for something that isn't there....and it's almost always the same group that goes looking.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »

Actually, this is false.  Several people did...one active here can admit to it if he wishes.  But that isn't really the point....this is about Christmas traditions and it used to be Merry Christmas was what was always said, then that tradition started to be broken.  It's good to see an independent poll showing the tradition is holding, perhaps even growing.  That's what traditions are about.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
It isn't political commentary.  This thread is about Christmas traditions.  Part of the traditions we have as a people is saying Merry Christmas or other such things.  Those traditions seem to be making a comeback. 

Sometimes you guys go looking for something that isn't there....and it's almost always the same group that goes looking.

Wrong, the thread is about holiday traditions as stated very firmly in my title and then description. I was careful to include the few Jewish individuals on here in addition to people who may celebrate the 3 Kings day etc.

Some people have a tradition of saying happy Hanukkah, kwanza, holidays, etc. the only reason you posted a link to some poll about preference is because of that stupid back and forth you've been having with 82 for months now.

The comment on the economy wasn't necessary either, and from previous experiences when you do this, was put there to bait posters into a political discussion.

Your goal was to post it and then claim plausible deniability.

This thread is for holiday traditions, you grasped it the first time with the on topic post about food and presents. But are clearly in some sort of mood due to the USC thread getting locked.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:53:30 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Poll released today. 

Merry Christmas
So, your tradition is to pass down your Napoleonic Douchebaggery, or is it Douchebaggidness?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »

Actually, this is false.  Several people did...one active here can admit to it if he wishes.  But that isn't really the point....this is about Christmas traditions and it used to be Merry Christmas was what was always said, then that tradition started to be broken.  It's good to see an independent poll showing the tradition is holding, perhaps even growing.  That's what traditions are about.

I usually stay out of this stuff, but come on. The myth that people weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas but now they have achieved some sort of unseen triumph and can now safely say it again is deeply strange. I've seen people who have said Merry Christmas to me my entire life, and have undoubtedly said it every year of their lives before that, act like it's some new victory. Why? You literally said it to me last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. Starbucks choosing to put Happy Holidays on a cup, or Target saying it in a commercial, in no way impedes your ability to say Merry Christmas. Also, saying merry is "was what was always said" is not true. Happy Holidays is not some new invention just to mess with you.

There was no reason to bring it up in this thread. Worse, going out of your way to define it as “our tradition” implies people who don’t adhere to it are outsiders/others/not American. That sucks!

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »
I'm sure God is happy that Christians have weaponized his son's birthday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2019, 04:08:13 PM »

I usually stay out of this stuff, but come on. The myth that people weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas but now they have achieved some sort of unseen triumph and can now safely say it again is deeply strange. I've seen people who have said Merry Christmas to me my entire life, and have undoubtedly said it every year of their lives before that, act like it's some new victory. Why? You literally said it to me last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. Starbucks choosing to put Happy Holidays on a cup, or Target saying it in a commercial, in no way impedes your ability to say Merry Christmas. Also, saying merry is "was what was always said" is not true. Happy Holidays is not some new invention just to mess with you.

There was no reason to bring it up in this thread. Worse, going out of your way to define it as “our tradition” implies people who don’t adhere to it are outsiders/others/not American. That sucks!

Why?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »

I don't usually weigh in on your off topic rants/posts but this is a cheap ploy to squeeze in what you think will be a trigger for others and sit back waiting for reactions. You're really some unnatural carnal knowledgeing troll.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:11:52 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2019, 05:57:53 AM »
I would like to apologize to everybody on this board.

I believe my parents started the war on Christmas.

Back in the mid 60's, they sent out Christmas cards that said Happy Holidays and had a snowman on the front.  This had to be the first shot in the war.  They hid their participation well.  To cover their tracks, they hauled me out of bed for mass every Sunday morning, and after they retired attended mass every day.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »
I would like to apologize to everybody on this board.

I believe my parents started the war on Christmas.

Back in the mid 60's, they sent out Christmas cards that said Happy Holidays and had a snowman on the front.  This had to be the first shot in the war.  They hid their participation well.  To cover their tracks, they hauled me out of bed for mass every Sunday morning, and after they retired attended mass every day.

This horrible provocation has been rattling through the echo chamber ever since.  Thanks a lot Archie.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2019, 07:44:01 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »
Yeah, see, there's the "Merry Christmas" as the offhand thing people say in late December.

And there's the "Merry Christmas" some say to spread the joy of the birth of Jesus.

Then there's "Merry Christmas" some say to grind their axe.

Cheeks, whether you are going for door #1 or #2 .. your online persona makes people think it's always door #3.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
Since this thread was hijacked. This Christmas as some don't shut up about traditions and religious impact please remember that Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Christ and was adopted from the Celtic Winter solstice. The Yule log, tree decorating, gifts under the tree, and mistletoe all developed from that.

Happy winter solstice everybody, a holiday that actually had a war against it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/NWF2JBb1bvM

A five year old ad for a British supermarket, about a dramatization of events from a hundred years ago, which took place between the *British and Germans*, is somehow proof of an American tradition. Brilliant

I finally understand why so many threads devolve into petty arguing with you. I engaged once and now I want to keep responding to whatever inane junk you throw up onto the thread. Instead I’ll stop here, wish you a joyous winter season and just move on.

Go Marquette
Signature:

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2019, 08:47:06 AM »
A five year old ad for a British supermarket, about a dramatization of events from a hundred years ago, which took place between the *British and Germans*, is somehow proof of an American tradition. Brilliant

I finally understand why so many threads devolve into petty arguing with you. I engaged once and now I want to keep responding to whatever inane junk you throw up onto the thread. Instead I’ll stop here, wish you a joyous winter season and just move on.

Go Marquette

It is my favorite Christmas ad, award winning and touched a lot of people.  Christmas is not an American only holiday.  Merry Christmas Warrior Code.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
Since this thread was hijacked. This Christmas as some don't shut up about traditions and religious impact please remember that Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Christ and was adopted from the Celtic Winter solstice. The Yule log, tree decorating, gifts under the tree, and mistletoe all developed from that.

Happy winter solstice everybody, a holiday that actually had a war against it.

The first a Christmas celebration was held in 336AD, to celebrate the birth of Christ.  Christmas means the Mass of Christ.  It isn’t the actual day Christ was born, but the day chosen to celebrate the event.

Merry Christmas

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Never understood "Merry Christmas" being said throughout the entire month of December.  Christmas Eve, or Day go for it, but you never hear someone say "Happy Easter" on a Monday, or "Happy Thanksgiving" on a Wednesday.  I generally say "Happy Holidays" more around work because 1.) I don't know what everyone celebrates, and 2.) it's easier than saying "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year", since I won't see most co-workers between Christmas and New Years.  Never gotten upset when someone prefers one or the other, don't really understand why people do, when this is really supposed to be a happy time of the year, to get triggered over something so minor seems counter-intuitive. FWIW "Peace on Earth" is vastly underrated IMO.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »
The first a Christmas celebration was held in 336AD, to celebrate the birth of Christ.  Christmas means the Mass of Christ.  It isn’t the actual day Christ was born, but the day chosen to celebrate the event.

Merry Christmas

Historically, for the truly religious, the Feast of Epiphany was the primary holiday, and still is in many parts of the Christian world that have been somewhat shielded from the Western commercialization of Christmas.. Christmas became celebrated in early modern times as the beginning of Christmastide, or the beginning of the season that led to the culmination of the Great Feast of Epiphany.

And the Feast of St. Nicholas was the great gift-giving holiday.

Christmas became more heavily celebrated in popular culture in its own right in Early Modern times (such as in Tudor England), more as a night to drink and feast and kick off the run up to Epiphany. Christmas became what it is today with the advent of Western commercialization. "Traditions" such as Christmas trees and Santa are relatively new innovations within the time span of Christianity. Santa evolved from a tradition of the Feast of St. Nicholas, which is earlier in December, not from Christmas.  Epiphany has been celebrated for much, much longer.

Happy Feast of St. Nicholas.
Happy Epiphany.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:02:40 AM by Coleman »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
Never understood "Merry Christmas" being said throughout the entire month of December.  Christmas Eve, or Day go for it, but you never hear someone say "Happy Easter" on a Monday, or "Happy Thanksgiving" on a Wednesday.  I generally say "Happy Holidays" more around work because 1.) I don't know what everyone celebrates, and 2.) it's easier than saying "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year", since I won't see most co-workers between Christmas and New Years.  Never gotten upset when someone prefers one or the other, don't really understand why people do, when this is really supposed to be a happy time of the year, to get triggered over something so minor seems counter-intuitive. FWIW "Peace on Earth" is vastly underrated IMO.

I think it is because it is tied to a seasonal event and build up, partly as a result of the commercialization pst Thanksgiving.  People typically take many days off, etc...not tied to just one day.

I don’t get upset with folks using whatever they wish to say, but I expect the same treatment back...not someone saying I, or a company, or anyone else cannot say Merry Christmas without backlash.  Want o say Happy Holidays...go for it.  Season’s Greetings...sure.  Merry Christmas or Merry Xmas...fine by me.

feedback