[Today at 08:41:54 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214360 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1800 on: November 29, 2021, 08:36:46 AM »
There are only two bands from the 60's I will consistently stop for while channel flipping in the car.  The Beatles and The Doors.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: November 29, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
The new Dexter is actually really solid
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1802 on: November 29, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
I bet it has something to do with the fanatical nature of Beatles defenders.  I was at a party one time, music discussion ongoing and the Beatles came up.  I maintained my position that their influence is hard to match and their cultural legacy is undeniable, but I think their actual music is largely overrated and a ton doesn't hold up all that well.  You would have thought I spit individually in people's eyes while cursing their mothers.  One guy refused to speak to me the rest of the night.

I said something similar to my old roommate on a trip to London when decided if we would go to Abbey Road and he started yelling at me in the street.  The cult of personality is strong.

I have the same opinion of the Beatles as you and have had similar reactions from others when I made that opinion known
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1803 on: November 29, 2021, 10:15:18 AM »
Great movie:  Yesterday.   

It's a story about if the Beatles didn't exist. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »

Haven't seen last night's episode yet (because Succession, of course), but I've been pleasantly surprised that Dexter hasn't been bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: November 29, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
Great movie:  Yesterday.   

It's a story about if the Beatles didn't exist.
Watching Ed Sheeran mock Beatles songs is great.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: November 29, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
I'm largely in agreement with Wags on this. The cultural relevance outweighs the music. But I do enjoy some of the later stuff.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1807 on: November 29, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »
I'm largely in agreement with Wags on this. The cultural relevance outweighs the music. But I do enjoy some of the later stuff.

The first albums were just simple pop music - catchy songs, but not a lot there. Starting with Rubber Soul, they went in another direction musically.

To me that is where the good music started.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: November 29, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »

Would it be important to watch all of the old series to enjoy it?

I really liked the first few seasons, but I heard the last couple were terrible so I haven't watched past the season with John Lithgow.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »

Agreed, but his Penguins song from the competition in that scene is brilliant

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: November 29, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »

I really liked the first few seasons, but I heard the last couple were terrible so I haven't watched past the season with John Lithgow.

That's the question I have right now. I enjoyed the first couple seasons of Dexter, but stopped after that. I'm intrigued by these new entries, but I don't think I'm interested enough to go back and watch past seasons.

There is just way too much good stuff to watch these days. I'm nearing the half-way point in The Sopranos, so I've got to finish that before I revisit any old series. And I think that The Wire is probably next in the queue. I feel like there are too many great shows that I've never really seen to start revisiting shows that already failed to hold my interest.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: November 29, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »

I don't think you need to. The only real important thing you need to know to make the bridge is that Deb (his sister) is dead, and she has replaced his dead father as his "conscience."

I wouldn't call the reboot "great" by any means, but it's been very watchable so far.

That's the question I have right now. I enjoyed the first couple seasons of Dexter, but stopped after that. I'm intrigued by these new entries, but I don't think I'm interested enough to go back and watch past seasons.

There is just way too much good stuff to watch these days. I'm nearing the half-way point in The Sopranos, so I've got to finish that before I revisit any old series. And I think that The Wire is probably next in the queue. I feel like there are too many great shows that I've never really seen to start revisiting shows that already failed to hold my interest.

I don't blame you. And I'd certainly watch The Wire before I'd watch the Dexter reboot.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:26:39 AM by MU82 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: November 29, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
I'll agree to disagree with you and FBM about the quality of The Beatles' music, as I think they have dozens of songs that stand the test of time quite well, but I'm not what I would call a rabid fan or anything. I simply like listening to my favorites of theirs ... and there are lots of favorites for me.

I have a similar opinion. I'm not a huge Beatles fan by any stretch of the imagination. I don't ever put them on and they're not on any of my playlists, but I'll often stop when one of their songs comes on the radio.

A couple years ago, some publication ranked all 227 Beatles songs. It was an amazing reminder of how much great music that they put out. Any band is lucky to have one or two great (or at the very least popular and memorable) songs. A rare few bands might have ten. Looking at the ranking of Beatles songs you see literally dozens of what I consider great and memorably songs. Although I'll acknowledge that there are also literally dozens of songs that I don't remember and probably have only heard once or twice if at all.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: November 29, 2021, 11:35:05 AM »

I’d say you don’t really need to. As MU82 mentioned the only key thing is Debs fate. And just the fact that Harrison(his son in the revival) grew up living with a step mom who is from the end of the original run.

Otherwise it’s just Dexter with an all new cast. And really the main part of the old show that is gonna tie into this will be Trinity Killer, Lithgows character and you’ve seen that. The main over arching mystery is will Harrison turn out like Dexter and Harrison’s trauma is being present for his moms death by trinity.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1814 on: November 29, 2021, 11:35:12 AM »
I can understand not being a fan. Everybody's different, and we all like different music.

But "hating" them "with a burning passion"? What did they do to her?

part of it is the fans and the cult-like fanaticism ("how can you not like The Beatles? What's wrong with you?") but mainly, when she was a kid all her parents played were the Beatles and ABBA (another band she hates). This went on her entire childhood. When they weren't on the radio her dad was playing Beatles songs (poorly) on the guitar.

I'll listen to some of their stuff, it's hit and miss with me. But it's a non-starter with her.

A number of years ago we read a listing for a house that interested us, but it was in a subdivision completely dedicated to the Beatles. Every street was named after a Beatles song (this particularly house was on "Yellow Submarine Way." Seriously).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: November 29, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
I have a similar opinion. I'm not a huge Beatles fan by any stretch of the imagination. I don't ever put them on and they're not on any of my playlists, but I'll often stop when one of their songs comes on the radio.

A couple years ago, some publication ranked all 227 Beatles songs. It was an amazing reminder of how much great music that they put out. Any band is lucky to have one or two great (or at the very least popular and memorable) songs. A rare few bands might have ten. Looking at the ranking of Beatles songs you see literally dozens of what I consider great and memorably songs. Although I'll acknowledge that there are also literally dozens of songs that I don't remember and probably have only heard once or twice if at all.

Thanks for that link. I'd disagree with many of the rankings, but that list's purely a conversation starter. As you said, the depth of their catalogue is quite incredible. Dozens of great, even iconic, songs.

I haven't seen this, and I'd probably enjoy it. And I like listening to some of Sheeran's stuff. And yet ... the idea of Ed Sheeran mocking The Beatles -- whose body of work is merely 1 billion times better than Sheeran's -- is kind of amusing. I'll also look forward to Harry Styles mocking Springsteen.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: November 29, 2021, 12:20:32 PM »
Last night’s episode of Succession was the best of this season. Things had started to get a tad stale and repetitive (for my liking), and needed a jumpstart, and last night’s episode delivered strongly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: November 29, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Last night’s episode of Succession was the best of this season. Things had started to get a tad stale and repetitive (for my liking), and needed a jumpstart, and last night’s episode delivered strongly.

So good.

It's hard to imagine anybody else stealing the Emmy from Jeremy Strong.

I also thought it was one of Kieran Culkin's best episodes.

My only nit is that I don't love what they're doing with the Shiv character. She went from being this strong, kinda bad-ass mover/shaker who always knew what to say to being timid and always saying the wrong things.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: November 29, 2021, 01:10:30 PM »

Things were so busy this past week that we're a week behind. We watched last week's episode last night. I suspect we'll watch last night's episode tonight, now that we're back to being empty nesters and can actually slow down and set our own schedule again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: November 29, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »
Watched Dopesick.  You want to be sad?  Watch this.

And Michael Keaton has the Emmy wrapped my 82. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: November 29, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
Watched Dopesick.  You want to be sad?  Watch this.

And Michael Keaton has the Emmy wrapped my 82.

We've watched the first two episodes of Dopesick so far. The first was kinda slow because they were setting everything up, but the second was very good as it's starting to become clear how exactly this crisis has come to fruition. And yes, my wife and I already have discussed how good Keaton is in his role.

Fact is, they can both win -- Strong for lead actor in a drama series, Keaton for lead actor in a limited series.

Strong won the Emmy for his work in Season 2, and he's been even better this season IMHO.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: November 29, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »
Strong won the Emmy for his work in Season 2, and he's been even better this season IMHO.

Strong's performance near the end of S3E3 (the scene walking down the hall and then slumping onto the floor in the server room) was sublime. Honestly, one of the most striking and compelling 90-second performances I've ever seen. And all without saying a word. Those 90 seconds, on their own, were Emmy worthy. The fact that it was just the best 90 seconds of an all-around stellar performance just cements his claim.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1822 on: November 29, 2021, 04:44:04 PM »
The first albums were just simple pop music - catchy songs, but not a lot there. Starting with Rubber Soul, they went in another direction musically.

To me that is where the good music started.

Seriously? I'm a Stones guy myself but Please Please Me sounds as fresh to me today as it did back in 1964. Still get goose bumps when I hear Paul open up I Saw Her Standing There with "1-2-3-4".

Let's hear it for simple pop music and catchy songs.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1823 on: November 29, 2021, 04:48:32 PM »
There are only two bands from the 60's I will consistently stop for while channel flipping in the car.  The Beatles and The Doors.   

You Change the channel when "You Really Got Me" comes on? Or "All Day and All of the Night" ?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: November 29, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »
Strong's performance near the end of S3E3 (the scene walking down the hall and then slumping onto the floor in the server room) was sublime. Honestly, one of the most striking and compelling 90-second performances I've ever seen. And all without saying a word. Those 90 seconds, on their own, were Emmy worthy. The fact that it was just the best 90 seconds of an all-around stellar performance just cements his claim.

You're right, SAW. What a scene. He had several great scenes last night, too, and he was tasked with doing a variety of roles all in one character because of his mood swings.

When a guy does the work he's done on Succession, don't you wonder: "Where the hell has this guy been hiding?"

I know that was my reaction fairly early in Season 1 when it became obvious that he was gonna be the driver of the show. I had to look him up, and although he had short stints in a few series and roles in a couple mainstream movies, he certainly wasn't close to being a "star" ... until Succession.

It shows that there are a lot of great performers out there who just need a break and/or a project to call their own.