[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND sucks  (Read 12085 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: ND sucks
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
That's 2023. No tournament yet for 2022, though I'd guess they're holding out hope for a PK85 invite.

I would LOVE to see MU in Battle 4 Atlantis one of these years. That's always seemingly a loaded field. Probably year in year out one of the top 2 tournies as far as quality teams in my opinion.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »

I always love seeing this photo.

My single favorite basketball memory from my 4 years at Marquette.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 11:33:38 PM »
Is there some reason I don't get the ND hate?

Is it a generational thing? Or perhaps there's a cut-off of when you attended MU that leads you to hating ND?
Was a big rivalry for both schools in the 70s and early 80s when both schools were doing very well in basketball. Back in those days there was no internet, cable, cell phone  etc  so everything was all about the game of the week on NBC  , Sports Illustrated and the Chicago and Milwaukee newspapers. MU Notre Dame got a lot of media attention  in all those because Al versus Digger made good pr.   That combined with ND Specific arrogance toward MU and,  their arrogance overall ,made them a hated opponent.

Also in those days MU and ND were independents, however  all the independents played a consistent schedule of the same opponents year after year, which made the rivalry similar to a conference rivalry. Also the quality of players on both sides was very high. Austin Carr and John Shumate were two of the greatest college players I ever saw . So beating those teams actually meant a lot.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 12:34:18 AM »
I’d say for some because they didn’t get in to ND.  For others, once they got to MU they learned from others that didn’t get into ND to hate them.  Add in the snobbish ND alum thing, Digger Phelps anti-MU student condemnation and that should encompass most of the displeasure here.

Wrong. Nothing to do with not getting into ND. Just a good, old fashioned rivalry. You missed it.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:24 AM »
Was a big rivalry for both schools in the 70s and early 80s when both schools were doing very well in basketball. Back in those days there was no internet, cable, cell phone  etc  so everything was all about the game of the week on NBC  , Sports Illustrated and the Chicago and Milwaukee newspapers. MU Notre Dame got a lot of media attention  in all those because Al versus Digger made good pr.   That combined with ND Specific arrogance toward MU and,  their arrogance overall ,made them a hated opponent.

Also in those days MU and ND were independents, however  all the independents played a consistent schedule of the same opponents year after year, which made the rivalry similar to a conference rivalry. Also the quality of players on both sides was very high. Austin Carr and John Shumate were two of the greatest college players I ever saw . So beating those teams actually meant a lot.

Played No Dick twice a year for many many years including when i was in school.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2019, 04:39:19 AM »

Brother Herm is right on the money.

In the late 1970s, we had Lee, Ellis, Whitehead and Toone. They had Tripuka and Lambier. Both teams were Top 5. Notre Dame made the Final Four in 1978; we won it in 1977.

Notre Dame also was good at knocking down blue bloods. They ended UCLA's 81 consecutive game winning streak (in South Bend). We also hadn't lost a home game in like four years -- until Digger and his gang came in in the mid-1970s and ended it for us.

Then there was the infamous Glenn Rivers shot from the moon.

This was an intense game for both sides for years.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:41 AM »

Is it a generational thing? Or perhaps there's a cut-off of when you attended MU that leads you to hating ND?
---no dick fans are the most arrogant
---no dick football program is the most over regarded on the planet, and their fans especially think that their crap does not stink
---no dick still tries to control all things football related
---you do not have to be an MU alum to detest No Dick
---Kelly Tripuka
All good reasons for No Dick disdain.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »
Every daywalker or kid with 10% Irish blood walking around in ND Starter jackets did it for me in grade school.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
Rudy was offsides and then in jail
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2019, 07:16:38 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »

I don't understand the ND hate, or Badger hate...etc .....some are joking...some really do have some angst. I don't think any of it is about basketball though.

With the hoops part....Perhaps I can help a little. I will go back to say 1970 to now just to pick a starting point, and one where MU didn't play ND just before that.

First, what is a rivalry? Many mistakenly will say geography or perhaps fellow Catholic school etc....and those things can perhaps enhance a rivalry but they don't make one. A rivalry is simply repeated competitive play over time regardless of all of those other things.

So.....in the 1970's MU and ND played approx once per year while both were often times elite teams and programs and roughly speaking MU went about 6-5 or so during that decade vs ND. Many games were close. This period is full of MU grads and fans who consider it a rivalry, elite teams, close games, even record.

In my experience and in my opinion more people who say ND sucks etc...went to MU and/or were MU fans in the 1980's, a decade of domination for ND. We are talking ND winning 12 of 14 games at one point. This period would be a rivalry in MU's eyes only during much of this decade.

During the first half of the 90's MU and ND were in two separate leagues together for short stints. The results were more competitive head to head in this era with an edge to ND. Neither program was an elite program.

Then after a period of not playing from mid 90' to mid 00's.....the two teams played for about 8 years or so together in The Big East, with even results head to head about 7-7 or so.

And now, here we are again.

In my experience, with some, not all ND fans, and alums, football is what they care about and the rest takes a very large back seat to that, even though they have many competitive men's and women's programs in other sports. And I've been around many of them that played many sports there over the years.

It's a good game for MU to schedule, as long as ND is good and competitive, an NCAA type team. It also as you are seeing here, moves the needle with many MU alums with regards to interest vs some other games or opponents. If ND were struggling or had a long stretch of that I would be less interested. But they should be okay.

Marquette has had repeated competitive play over time in more recent memory with some non-traditional rivals. The Badger game works because historically and recently the series is close going back and forth ....repeated competitive play over time
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:41:46 AM by shoothoops »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2019, 07:38:43 AM »

DNA mostly. I don’t think hatred of ND only limited to a certain generation. Should be human nature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »
Every daywalker or kid with 10% Irish blood walking around in ND Starter jackets did it for me in grade school.

+1

This plus the amount of people who didn't go there that'll still cross a highway to tell you how great ND is.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
I had a Marquette friend who said “we got him” when he learned LaPhonso Ellis was going to Notre Dame.

To be fair that guy is now a Marquette season ticket holder.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
Q: How many Notre Dame grads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 30. 1 to screw it in and 29 to reminisce about what a wonderful experience it was.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Q: How many Notre Dame grads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: 30. 1 to screw it in and 29 to reminisce about what a wonderful experience it was.
How many Notre Dame grads does it take to screw in a light bulb.

1.   He holds it in place and the whole world revolves around him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »

Cool photo, looks like a Renaissance painting. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please provide background/context for those of us who weren't around then?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
This is good news for basketball, for Marquette and Notre Dame fans.

The rivalry between our two schools has been great, going back as far as I can remember. Digger, Johnny Dee, Al, Hank and some of the great players for both teams (Tripuka, Ellis, Lucas, Lambier, Austin Carr, Butch, the Riverses (David and Glenn) etc.)

Should be a lot of fun and should start, hopefully rekindling a good rivalry between us.

How could you not mention Shrek (Harangody)?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
How many Notre Dame grads does it take to screw in a light bulb.

1.   He holds it in place and the whole world revolves around him.

Why is outer space a vacuum? ...because ND sucks!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »
I can still see David Rivers 17 foot pull up to beat MU at the buzzer in July 85.  And his resulting celebratory somersault on the floor of the MECCA.   Mine was one of the classes that went 0-8 against ND.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
The photo of Michael Wilson standing on the rim, wearing one shoe, was from January 10th, 1981.

The game in which Doc Rivers banked in a 35-40 footer at the buzzer to win for the good guys. 

article on page 20 of the paper the next day
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=jvrRlaHg2sAC&dat=19810111&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »
Cool photo, looks like a Renaissance painting. Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please provide background/context for those of us who weren't around then?

80-81 season. ND came in ranked #5 in the country. Freshman Doc Rivers hits a bank shot from the time line.
Forgotten was much maligned senior center Dean Marqart had the game of his life.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
And let us not forget what Al McGuire said about ND alum.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »
another classic ending with the game story on the scoop wiki:

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/notre_dame_1_20_06

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
My daughter is upset as it is happening after she graduates.  This rivalry series needs to be a staple for years.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato