[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Open Practice video  (Read 3462 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
Re: Open Practice video
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:40:40 AM »
Jayce is big enough to tower over Theo, and strong enough to keep Theo from getting where he wants to go.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:59:19 AM »
Didn't show much of him in the video, but I'm really excited to see Symir this year.  The way his recruitment went, and his reclassification, I think he's really flown under the radar.  Also, if that rumor of discovering Dex by watching him shut down Nico is true, he could be a great 4 year player, even if we don't see too much of him this year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
Great team and individual defense at the 7:05 mark.

Symir is guarding Markus as he drives toward the corner and Theo slides up from the post to help. Markus picks up his dribble and everyone on D goes into full-pressure attack mode. The camera angle emphasizes how few options Markus has from this position and he forces a cross-court pass to Brendan -- which Greg steals and takes the other way for a layup.

What you can't see as well from this side of the court is how Greg's anticipation, quickness and length allow him to jump the passing lane to get a hand on the ball. He has good court awareness and instincts and can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

One of my favorite plays from the open practice.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
Greg's absence hurt last year.  A lot.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »
Great team and individual defense at the 7:05 mark.

Symir is guarding Markus as he drives toward the corner and Theo slides up from the post to help. Markus picks up his dribble and everyone on D goes into full-pressure attack mode. The camera angle emphasizes how few options Markus has from this position and he forces a cross-court pass to Brendan -- which Greg steals and takes the other way for a layup.

What you can't see as well from this side of the court is how Greg's anticipation, quickness and length allow him to jump the passing lane to get a hand on the ball. He has good court awareness and instincts and can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

One of my favorite plays from the open practice.

So Markus still has problems getting the ball to the open man.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »

I really wasn't expecting this to change significantly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »

As I mentioned in my earlier notes on the open practice -- and as Wojo mentioned in his interview -- turnovers were a problem for the team as a whole. But I wouldn't single out Markus for one play out of an entire hour-long scrimmage and try to draw sweeping conclusions from it.

In this particular instance, I think Markus made at least one, if not two, questionable decisions. First and foremost, picking up his dribble -- especially near the sideline. Second, the pass. When I say Markus forced it, that's my take. But he didn't have a lot of other options. None of his teammates were coming to the ball on that play -- so who else was Markus supposed to pass it to? If he just keeps it, Symir and/or Theo can swarm him for a steal or five-second call (which would also be a turnover).

While Markus made the pass and gets the TO in the box score, you can't put it all on him. You also have to give credit to Greg for making an outstanding defensive play.

With more ball handlers, drivers and outside shooters in the backcourt, Markus shouldn't have to carry the entire offense on his shoulders this season. Turnovers will definitely be one aspect of the team that I'll be paying close attention to.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:45:25 AM »

I really wasn't expecting this to change significantly.
Perhaps not, but if there is one improvement in this area I'd like to see it is hitting the big man after he sets a pick at the top of the key and is rolling to the basket.  That play was consistently open last year but for whatever reason--Markus too short to see him, not trusting the bigs to convert or whatever--they almost never fed the roller.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »
I hadn't heard Jayce speak before but I like what I hear. Seems like a good guy and hungry to win too.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
Greg is noticeably slowed and still walking and running with a limp.  From what i saw hes definitely only at 80% or so.  Its far more than just conditioning its still ankle/foot strength.  In the video on that steal he did a “i still cant jump” layup and we all know Greg used to throw those down with authority.  Hope he can be full strength by 10/29.  Hes an a winning player! Hoping for the best for that kid
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.