[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Seton Hall Preview  (Read 5611 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Seton Hall Preview
« on: October 14, 2019, 06:25:27 AM »
The Big East coaches picked them to win the league. Anyone that has been following me on here knows I disagree. Here's my case for why the Pirates are a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big East:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/10/seton-hall-preview.html
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Seton Hall Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:44:48 AM »
Seton Hall sucks
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »
MU's FTR on defense was 75.9% in that BET abomination vs. 35.9% for the season (similar to the first two SH games). The two or three games against them will be street fights this year, and if Breeding sniffs any of these three, look out.

That said, although Markus was hurt (wrist), McKnight owned him in those last two games.  This is a match-up where Koby would help MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
That game 🤬
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »
Afternoon bump for Sacar and Theo.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
SHU will probably be somewhat better than middle of the pack.  At least 3rd place.  This is a very experienced team.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »
SHU will probably be somewhat better than middle of the pack.  At least 3rd place.  This is a very experienced team.

It's possible, but I don't see it. They are getting overrated because they finished last year strong, but they were not good last year. The only at-large team that was worse in both offense and defense was St John's, who frankly didn't belong in the field.

I think both coaches and pundits alike are forgetting just how bad Seton Hall was for the first 82% of the season. Powell masks a lot of deficiencies and did so in that 4-game winning streak, but that doesn't work over the course of a full season, as he showed last year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »

Here is an interesting SHU fun fact from last season: They lost to and beat every Big East team, except Creighton, who they beat twice.  Conclusion: They are as beatable as they are winnable because they are the same team while the others are as good or better.  In other words, they are who we thought they were.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »
It's possible, but I don't see it. They are getting overrated because they finished last year strong, but they were not good last year. The only at-large team that was worse in both offense and defense was St John's, who frankly didn't belong in the field.

I think both coaches and pundits alike are forgetting just how bad Seton Hall was for the first 82% of the season. Powell masks a lot of deficiencies and did so in that 4-game winning streak, but that doesn't work over the course of a full season, as he showed last year.

I think you can say the same thing about Markus and MU especially after our losing streak. It will be interesting to see if Koby, Jayce, Brendon and Greg can together put the points on the board to make up the loss of the Hausers. They will certainly be better on defense. Anything we get out of Jamail, Symir and Dexter will be a plus. I hope our talent is as good as most here think it is. I believe our first game with SH is at the Rock. If the officials start making some bad calls that game could get ugly really fast especially if they are called on Sacar, Theo and to be fair Powell.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:36:14 PM by muwarrior69 »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Here is an interesting SHU fun fact from last season: They lost to and beat every Big East team, except Creighton, who they beat twice.  Conclusion: They are as beatable as they are winnable because they are the same team while the others are as good or better.  In other words, they are who we thought they were.

Doesn't contradict your point, but just wanted to clarify that they didn't beat every BEast team. They went 0-2 vs DePaul.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Doesn't contradict your point, but just wanted to clarify that they didn't beat every BEast team. They went 0-2 vs DePaul.

Thanks Pux. It actually reinforces my point I guess.  Twice isn't a crapshoot when DU is involved.  It's crap.  :)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
I think you can say the same thing about Markus and MU especially after our losing streak. It will be interesting to see if Koby, Jayce, Brendon and Greg can together put the points on the board to make up the loss of the Hausers. They will certainly be better on defense. Anything we get out of Jamail, Symir and Dexter will be a plus. I hope our talent is as good as most here think it is. I believe our first game with SH is at the Rock. If the officials start making some bad calls that game could get ugly really fast especially if they are called on Sacar, Theo and to be fair Powell.

I understand that argument, but the stats don't bear it out. Willard has had a sub-70 offensive efficiency in 8/9 seasons at SHU. Their 82 ranking last year was 50th in the NCAA field, behind many of the autobids from one bid leagues.

Marquette has been far more efficient the past 3 years and that's carried on through the losses of Ellenson, Fischer, Jajuan, and Rowsey. Losing the Hausers will hurt, and the team did nosedive when Markus was injured (#19 ORtg before Butler, down to #32 at season's end) but we've seen consistently more efficient offense here.

And that their defense was also terrible (#60 ranking was 40th in the field of 68) shows they really don't have anything to hang their hat on.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
Andy Katz today wrote that this is Seton Hall's best roster this century. Two years ago vs today:

PG: Khadeen Carrington vs Quincy McKnight (Not close)
SG: Myles Powell vs Myles Powell
SF: Desi Rodriguez vs Myles Cale (Not close)
PF: Ismael Sanogo vs Sandro Mamukelashvili (Push)
C: Angel Delgado vs Ike Obiagu (Not close)

That 2018 team went 10-8 in league play and earned an 8-seed. I would argue the differences at the PG & C (Carrington & Delgado) is bigger than the improvement Powell has made.

How is this SHU better than the 2018 team? Honestly, seriously, how are they even close to that 8-seed? I would argue that SHU team significantly underperformed, but the coach hasn't changed. Why would anyone expect a less talented 2019-20 SHU team to do better than their team from two years ago when Kevin Willard is still there?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
It's Andy Katz. It's Andy Katz

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
Andy Katz today wrote that this is Seton Hall's best roster this century. Two years ago vs today:

PG: Khadeen Carrington vs Quincy McKnight (Not close)
SG: Myles Powell vs Myles Powell
SF: Desi Rodriguez vs Myles Cale (Not close)
C: Angel Delgado vs Ike Obiagu (Not close)In. word, depth......

That 2018 team went 10-8 in league play and earned an 8-seed. I would argue the differences at the PG & C (Carrington & Delgado) is bigger than the improvement Powell has made.

How is this SHU better than the 2018 team? Honestly, seriously, how are they even close to that 8-seed? I would argue that SHU team significantly underperformed, but the coach hasn't changed. Why would anyone expect a less talented 2019-20 SHU team to do better than their team from two years ago when Kevin Willard is still there?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »

Seems appropriate, but I would add ‘from behind’ to that particular rating. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 09:49:29 PM »
Seems appropriate, but I would add ‘from behind’ to that particular rating.

;D

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/10/29/seton-hall-kevin-willard/3785602002/

Kevin Willard suspended the first two games by the university for “transfer tampering”

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
Not sure what's a bigger downside, losing your HC for the first two games, or knowing you'll have Kevin Willard back at the helm for the rest of the year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »
Seton Hall is well coached. Powell will be an All American in some circles. Quincy McKnight is a very tough defender an excellent ball handler and adds a lot of intangible value. Kayle can score and takes the pressure off Powell. They have plenty of size and they have teamwork. Not sure why all the Seton Hall haters out there. I get that their fan base are douches, but that goes with the territory the school is located in.

All that said, they are not head and shoulders above any one else in the league this year.  Barring injuries, they should be in the top 3 though.

The MU Seton Hall games are always physical battles and I look forward to more of that.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

feedback