[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee's suburbs  (Read 7425 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Milwaukee's suburbs
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 06:46:47 AM »
You should rent a place above Real Chili.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:04 AM »
You should rent a place above Real Chili.

I'd gain 60 pounds in 4 weeks.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
There are many great resources for additional info that could help guide your decision if needed. Sadly, this board doesn't seem to be one of them.

Cura personalis, gents. You make Marquette proud.

That's false in this thread.  There's a mixture of humor and Arby's here, but I think everyone is mostly well meaning.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
WFB is not very far from an Arbys. I believe it is technically in Glendale, but right by Bayshore Mall. So it definitely checks that box.

ETA: The Glendale Pizza Hut did not honor the Marquette promotion of them scoring 90 or 100 points. So not everything in the area is seashells and balloons.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:10:18 PM by cheebs09 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Just bought in Shorewood this summer and we love it. We looked in Bay as well, but just couldn't find the right spot.

Bay's schools are a little better and their HS athletics are far superior, if that's important to your kids.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »
Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has them and no one wants to hear them. That could be doubly applied to this board.

Good luck to your family whatever you decide. Both Shorewood and WFB are great places to live as are many other places in the metro MKE area. There are many great resources for additional info that could help guide your decision if needed. Sadly, this board doesn't seem to be one of them.

Cura personalis, gents. You make Marquette proud.

I read some nice advice, a little tongue in cheek(no pun) stuff and then your angry post.  I hope you don’t think your stuff was “the high road”  or that which makes MU proud.  This post could have gone really south fast, but kudos to the scoop community for tryin to help a scoop brother out. 

Curious, where you are moving from martino and hope you find something that fits you and your family’s needs-welcome!
don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Simple solution:

1) Figure out what you want.
2) Figure out what you can afford.
3) Figure out what you need to be close to.
4) Assess what you can do without.

The rest will happen. When in doubt, call a real estate agent.

Big hint: Don't pick your neighbors based on your's or their politics. If your expected life in a home is 7 years, which is typical for the United States, it's very possible your neighbor will change, the politics of your community may change or, frankly, you may change. Key thing is where you will be happiest.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
I'd gain 60 pounds in 4 weeks.

You'd die of a heart attack within a year.

Or dysentery.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
Simple solution:

1) Figure out what you want.
2) Figure out what you can afford.
3) Figure out what you need to be close to.
4) Assess what you can do without.

The rest will happen. When in doubt, call a real estate agent.

Big hint: Don't pick your neighbors based on your's or their politics. If your expected life in a home is 7 years, which is typical for the United States, it's very possible your neighbor will change, the politics of your community may change or, frankly, you may change. Key thing is where you will be happiest.

Strong advice  +1
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »
You'd die of a heart attack within a year.

Or dysentery.

Or, become a superior intellect and athlete

Dgies, no pun intended.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
You got the right guy here .. I've lived in WFB for 20+ years, but used to live in Shorewood, so I can comment extensively and would be happy to chat on the phone, too.

Shorewood is uber liberal, perhaps more than Madison.  Think 80/20.  It has an interesting mix of economic and racial identities, and a decent size Russian population too.  My wife taught in both Shorewood and WFB school districts  .. Shorewood has a healthy mix, although that comes with some extra challenges in each classroom.  Lots of duplexes and college students and academic folks.  Solid downtown and lots of restaurants and shops.

Shorewood's school district is excellent .. top ~10 in the state.  WFB's is often listed as #1, and WFB's high school will rank nationally as a top school.  Both are great choices.

Shorewood is the more .. urban of the villages .. WFB is more of the classic neighborhood community.

WFB's mix is less diverse, 90% white.  Less income diversity, but some.   WFB doesn't have as vibrant a downtown as Shorewood .. but I think it has a deeper "community."   WFB used to be 60/40 Republican, now it's flipped 40/60 and dropping, mostly due to the high education population.

If you chose "south Whitefish Bay" or "north Shorewood" there wouldn't be a lot of difference between the two, besides the school districts.

Different strokes .. can't go wrong with either.  Shorewood skews younger, hipper, grungier.  WFB is older, more established, safer.

Not exactly sure what "41/Good Hope" is .. WFB would be about 6 minutes closer to that, though.  -- WFB is farther to the Bradley Center, though, but I can leave my house and be parking in about 9 minutes, so not bad.

Don't listen to 4ever.

Novak lives in WFB and his kids go to our school.   Wojo's wife has been rumored to want to move here as well.

Come on man, that just isn't true.  ;D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 11:24:33 PM »
I’m looking for a neighborhood that has a nice mix of the “everyone should have an abortion” crowd and “AR 15’s for every newborn” crowd mix nicely.

After all, that’s how all people should be defined.

Sorry mods.

IN BEFORE THE LOCK

Lol, right?  Honestly, how is this thread not Chicobait? 

Well played, OP.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
My wife and I are moving to the Milwaukee area and was curious if anyone could shed some light on the different suburbs. She'll be working around 41/Good Hope road but really, quality of life is more important than commute time. We need a pretty liberal and progressive community and we've heard Whitefish Bay and Shorewood. We have a 6th grader and a 9th grader who are coming from a great school and a great school is important....

Thanks!
WFB, Shorewood and Wauwatosa are the places you are probably going to like.  Check em out.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 04:35:47 PM »
WFB, Shorewood and Wauwatosa are the places you are probably going to like.  Check em out.

I've been in the Wauwatosa area since 1989 and love it there.  Great mix of all kinds of political views, lots of MU grads, good schools, centrally located in the metro area, some cool dining and drinking spots, nice parks, and the weather is 7-10 degrees warmer than in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay in the Spring and early summer due to the Lake Effect.

And check out Marquette High if you have any boys.  One of the best, if not THE best, high schools in the state.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:37:24 PM by BrewCity83 »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »
I've been in the Wauwatosa area since 1989 and love it there.  Great mix of all kinds of political views, lots of MU grads, good schools, centrally located in the metro area, some cool dining and drinking spots, nice parks, and the weather is 7-10 degrees warmer than in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay in the Spring and early summer due to the Lake Effect.

And check out Marquette High if you have any boys.  One of the best, if not THE best, high schools in the state.
If his wife is working up by 41 & Good Hope, Tosa sounds like the perfect spot for them.  But I'd qualify it and say somewhere in the 90's or below.  Once you get closer to Hwy 41 or further west, Tosa has a different feel.  You lose the connection to downtown Tosa and the Village feel, and you're just in random suburban neighborhood and strip mall territory.  Not that it's bad over there, it just doesn't sound like what they're looking for.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
I'd agree, east of the parkway (at North Avenue, that's about 99th Street).  Mid-Town Tosa or East Tosa are the places to be.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.