[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The season approaches  (Read 26626 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: The season approaches
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
I am not really worried about three point shooting as I believe both Baily and Cain can shoot the three. Maybe not as good as the Hausers, but it is not like we are totally dropping off the cliff. However, I thought the three point line has been moved back for this season, which may make the three point shot less effective. Being able to play two bigs might be more effective than we are thinking it will be.

What worries me the most is the luck factor. We looked to be really good last year until we fell off the cliff. However, we beat Kansas St. and Buffalo with Howard going crazy. We beat Louisville, Wisconsin, Creighton and Georgetown in overtime. We were getting all the breaks, which could mean we were not as good as our record indicated we were. This year the breaks could go the other way.

Quite a few games during our collapse had some unlucky breaks go against us.  I think we just about broke even last year with lucky breaks happening in the early parts of the season (Ville, UW-Madison, CU), and unlucky breaks happening down the stretch (Markus getting hurt in the Nova game, Gtown shooting almost 60% from three, Powell not getting arrested after assaulting Sacar).  Just how it goes sometimes.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
I don't share the same concern about outside shooting as others. The average team 3P% is around 34-35%. We've got 5 guys on the roster who have all had seasons where they finished better than that plus two freshmen with range on their shot and Bailey who was recruited with a reputation as a shooter. We've been spoiled the last three years, we won't be spoiled this year.

Bailey shot 37% from 3 his senior year of HS. I don't trust him to be a reliable shooter.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:33:20 PM by MUfan12 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Bailey shot 37% from 3 his senior year of HS. I don't trust him to be a reliable shooter.

That isn't a horrific percentage if he can get there again. Wouldn't want him being Sam level on the wing but it'd be worth hitting him in his "sweet spot" on the arc
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
That isn't a horrific percentage if he can get there again. Wouldn't want him being Sam level on the wing but it'd be worth hitting him in his "sweet spot" on the arc

I'd love him to shoot 37% this season.......that is just fine.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
This is where I stand, too. I see no reason on Sept. 23 to say what we'll think of so-and-so if such-and-such is the case next March 23.

This is incorrect.

Its notbincorrect at all.  Sam shot the ball well n spaced the floor for us.  He did nothing else very well.  I realize many lived him and wish him well, however apart from his 3s. And being a solid passer he was average.  Zero transition, avg at best rebounder. Bad defender.  Bailey improvemt in the area of transition n defense
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
Its notbincorrect at all.  Sam shot the ball well n spaced the floor for us.  He did nothing else very well.  I realize many lived him and wish him well, however apart from his 3s. And being a solid passer he was average.  Zero transition, avg at best rebounder. Bad defender.  Bailey improvemt in the area of transition n defense

Sam was great at off ball defense. Never got caught flat footed or with his head turned, great at taking his man out of action. He was bad at on ball defense but there's more to D than that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
That isn't a horrific percentage if he can get there again.

I'd take that all day from him. But the difference in speed exposes average HS shooters when they get to college. Even Duane, who shot 50% from 3 as a senior at Dominican struggled with his shot here.

I hope that BB tightens up his mechanics and can improve, but I'm not expecting a ton.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
Sam's defense was decent.  Joey's, less so.   I think Bailey makes a great leap forward on his 3 pt shooting.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
Reminder that the 3 point line moving back.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
Shooters will adjust quickly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
I'd love him to shoot 37% this season.......that is just fine.

Travis Diener made 36.3% of his three-point attempts (69-190) on Marquette's 2003 Final Four team. He took 80+ more threes than anybody else on the team -- including Steve Novak (55-109, 50.5%) and Todd Townsend (37-97, 38.1%).

Jae Crowder shot 35.9% (42-117) and 34.5% (61-177) from beyond the arc on the 2011 and 2012 Sweet 16 teams, respectively.

Vander Blue shot just 30.3% (40-132) from three for the 2013 Elite Eight squad, which connected on less than 30% of its threes as a team.

In other words, having an elite three-point percentage isn't the only measure of a successful team. MU shot 41.7% for the 2017-18 season, good for third best in the nation. But we didn't even make the NCAAs because our defense was so porous.

Anything above 35% is good in my book. (BTW, last season the DI average was 34.4%).
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2019, 10:06:37 PM »

Most of this is also incorrect.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 07:34:19 AM »
One game at a time. So let's win Marquette Madness first. In all seriousness, this should be an interesting year. I predict 25 wins, sweet 16

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
Shooters will adjust quickly.

So, on this team, who besides Markus is a “great” shooter?  This is a good season to go to a more traditional offense as a result. A think the MU line-up, with two bigs, is better protected too defensively with the line moving out.

The line-ups from the past couple of seasons wouldn’t have been affected by the line change offensively. They likely would have been defensively, though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »
So, on this team, who besides Markus is a “great” shooter?  This is a good season to go to a more traditional offense as a result. A think the MU line-up, with two bigs, is better protected too defensively with the line moving out.

The line-ups from the past couple of seasons wouldn’t have been affected by the line change offensively. They likely would have been defensively, though.

How many 'great' shooters are there in general?     Sacar hit 39% last year.    Cain hit 47% as a freshman.   McEwen hit 42% as a freshman.    I look at this team and the only type of opposing player who scares me is the 6'8 hyper-athletic mauler.     Bailey is better than Joey defensively.    If he hits 35% (not unreasonable) from 3, he will be fine.   Sacar moves to his natural position.    Looking at the videos Fanta posted, his jumper is better.    Truly, the unknowns are how quickly the freshman acclimate, how healthy Greg is, and whether Jamal has progressed.    Assuming health and normal progression, I am looking forward to watching this team.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
I'm very interested to see how the extended three point line effects three point shooting in general.  Last time it was moved back I believe it was less than what this move is.  I think this move might take more time to adjust to for players, so I think this is the year to have an offense that features a lot of post play and slashing and then by a couple years from now kids will adjust and the deeper 3 point line will just be your average shot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
I'm very interested to see how the extended three point line effects three point shooting in general.  Last time it was moved back I believe it was less than what this move is.  I think this move might take more time to adjust to for players, so I think this is the year to have an offense that features a lot of post play and slashing and then by a couple years from now kids will adjust and the deeper 3 point line will just be your average shot.

The Anonymous Eagle pod talked about this a bit. I'll be interested to see how two bigs works with the additional space inside the arc and how it impacts driving lanes.

Wojo has done well adjusting offensively. 2017 & 18 were elite and last year we were a top-20 offensive team before Howard got injured against Butler. I expect them to figure that end out pretty quick, and while we may not have as many top notch shooters, we have enough guys that can make it from deep that I expect we'll be okay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
How many 'great' shooters are there in general?     Sacar hit 39% last year.    Cain hit 47% as a freshman.   McEwen hit 42% as a freshman.    I look at this team and the only type of opposing player who scares me is the 6'8 hyper-athletic mauler.     Bailey is better than Joey defensively.    If he hits 35% (not unreasonable) from 3, he will be fine.   Sacar moves to his natural position.    Looking at the videos Fanta posted, his jumper is better.    Truly, the unknowns are how quickly the freshman acclimate, how healthy Greg is, and whether Jamal has progressed.    Assuming health and normal progression, I am looking forward to watching this team.

Jamal progressing back to his freshman self or normal progressing like you'd expect from a junior who looked promising as a freshman?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »

I don't think the corner shot has been pushed back that much and Jamal and Sacar like the corner 3.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
Travis Diener made 36.3% of his three-point attempts (69-190) on Marquette's 2003 Final Four team. He took 80+ more threes than anybody else on the team -- including Steve Novak (55-109, 50.5%) and Todd Townsend (37-97, 38.1%).

Jae Crowder shot 35.9% (42-117) and 34.5% (61-177) from beyond the arc on the 2011 and 2012 Sweet 16 teams, respectively.

Vander Blue shot just 30.3% (40-132) from three for the 2013 Elite Eight squad, which connected on less than 30% of its threes as a team.

In other words, having an elite three-point percentage isn't the only measure of a successful team. MU shot 41.7% for the 2017-18 season, good for third best in the nation. But we didn't even make the NCAAs because our defense was so porous.

Anything above 35% is good in my book. (BTW, last season the DI average was 34.4%).

As we sit here today, M92, I don't think this team is as talented as any of those Marquette teams. Also, the game has continued to evolve to a point at which spreading the floor and hitting the 3 is more important than ever -- and that goes all the way down to HS ball.

But sure, I don't think we need to hit 40% or anything to be able to win. At least I hope not, because if that's the case we're in deep trouble.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2019, 07:48:54 AM »
One game at a time. So let's win Marquette Madness first. In all seriousness, this should be an interesting year. I predict 25 wins, sweet 16

I agree with Dog, 25 wins and we make it to the sweet sixteen.  This team will be stronger and tougher than past teams. Go Marquette!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
The line going back may actually help MU’s offense. More open driving lanes for the likes of Sacar and Koby.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
The line going back may actually help MU’s offense. More open driving lanes for the likes of Sacar and Koby.

It could ... if we have a few guys who prove capable of hitting the longer 3. If our guys prove to be a bunch of brick-throwers, defenses will clog the lane more than ever.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2019, 09:01:27 AM »
It could ... if we have a few guys who prove capable of hitting the longer 3. If our guys prove to be a bunch of brick-throwers, defenses will clog the lane more than ever.

This team won’t be setting records but imo there will be plenty of deep threats.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
This team won’t be setting records but imo there will be plenty of deep threats.

I would love nothing more than you being right about this.