[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music RIP  (Read 5202 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Music RIP
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
There was an article last week about how the legends of Rock are mostly in their 70’s and a huge wave will be gone in the next 10 years or so.  Iconic guys like McCartney, Daltry, Townsend, Jagger, etc. Bands don’t exist like that anymore.

Eddie Money died this week.  Ric Ocasik today. 

RIP

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: Music RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »
If only we could go back to a "better" time.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
I would have never guessed that Ocasik was five years older than Money.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:10:48 PM »
He was example A of how ugly guys who could play music used that to end up with beautiful women.   It's magic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »
He was example A of how ugly guys who could play music used that to end up with beautiful women.   It's magic.

You might think that....but he was just what she needed.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »
There was an article last week about how the legends of Rock are mostly in their 70’s and a huge wave will be gone in the next 10 years or so.  Iconic guys like McCartney, Daltry, Townsend, Jagger, etc. Bands don’t exist like that anymore.

Eddie Money died this week.  Ric Ocasik today. 

RIP

It's the evolution of the music industry.  Singers and bands in the '70s had to earn their success and were given opportunities to do it. Springsteen's first two albums didn't sell even though they were critically acclaimed, today he'd never get a chance to make Born to Run. Today it's about singles, not albums, and starting in the '80s so much new music was overproduced, bands were just stuck together and not built for longevity. Live shows don't matter either, it's about streaming and downloads. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
Ocaseks secret was that he knew tonight....she comes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »
It's the evolution of the music industry.  Singers and bands in the '70s had to earn their success and were given opportunities to do it. Springsteen's first two albums didn't sell even though they were critically acclaimed, today he'd never get a chance to make Born to Run. Today it's about singles, not albums, and starting in the '80s so much new music was overproduced, bands were just stuck together and not built for longevity. Live shows don't matter either, it's about streaming and downloads.

I was just reading about Billie Eilish.  Dave Grohl, Eddy Vedder and Thom Yorke (Radiohead) among others are big fans and have brought their kids backstage to meet her.  Thom Yorke told her "You're the only one doing anything f*****g interesting these days."
When record companies we're trying to sign her they were telling her they were going to get this producer or that producer who had big hits to produce her album.  Her brother does all her producing and she told the music execs my brother or nothing.  Anyone else and I'm not me.  They caved.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »
I tried... I really tried.  My 14 year old and I had a "music exchange" day.  I played for him a lot of my stuff and he played for me a lot of his stuff.  WTF happened to music???

btw, he knew and even liked a lot of my stuff, like Zeppelin, Jimi, Clapton, etc.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
My 12 year old took guitar lessons this past summer.    He walked in and stated his goals to be able to play the chords to 'Back in Black', Should I stay or Should I Go',  etc.    His teacher told me it was so refreshing to have a kid who wanted to play something other than Imagine Dragons. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »

Live shows matter more than ever from the artist's perspective. It's about the only place they make their money these days.

Also, a lot of "old man yells at cloud" stuff in here, and I say that as an old man who's occasionally horrified by his kids' musical tastes (but there's hope ... my daughter begged me to take her to Riot Fest last week).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
My 12 year old took guitar lessons this past summer.    He walked in and stated his goals to be able to play the chords to 'Back in Black', Should I stay or Should I Go',  etc.    His teacher told me it was so refreshing to have a kid who wanted to play something other than Imagine Dragons.

Good that those are pretty easy songs to learn for a newbie. Should keep his interest piqued.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
He is having fun.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »
I was just reading about Billie Eilish.  Dave Grohl, Eddy Vedder and Thom Yorke (Radiohead) among others are big fans and have brought their kids backstage to meet her.  Thom Yorke told her "You're the only one doing anything f*****g interesting these days."
When record companies we're trying to sign her they were telling her they were going to get this producer or that producer who had big hits to produce her album.  Her brother does all her producing and she told the music execs my brother or nothing.  Anyone else and I'm not me.  They caved.

I don't understand her or her music or the people who like her music.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »

Tell it to the "Things I don't Get" thread.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
If only we could go back to a "better" time.

Before my time, but I do like Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 05:46:39 PM »
I like her stuff in that is definitely different that most anything else out there right now, I just wonder how sustainable the breathy, semi-catatonic vocal style is going to be.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
I tried... I really tried.  My 14 year old and I had a "music exchange" day.  I played for him a lot of my stuff and he played for me a lot of his stuff.  WTF happened to music???

btw, he knew and even liked a lot of my stuff, like Zeppelin, Jimi, Clapton, etc.

::)  It evolved as music always does.  Rock and roll had people tearing their clothes. Horrifying people who grew up on Lawrence Welk.

As its an easy target, I personally have defended electronic music repeatedly to people.  They think its literally easy as playing Candy Crush on a computer.  Not realizing that the most successful DJ/producers play multiple instruments at a super high level and can translate any of their tracks into an acoustic piano or guitar track with ease and there is a high level of composition skill needed.

People like what they grew up with, its totally understandable and fine.  But thinking music died when they stopped seeking out new music is one of my biggest pet peeves.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
::)  It evolved as music always does. 

PBS is currently showing a Ken Burns series on Country Music. I knew little of this history and it has been fun to watch and learn.

If there is any consistency to this story's message it is how music constantly evolves, borrows, mixes, and changes.

We listen to what we like...the next guy may like something else
...that all of us listen to something and enjoy it
....well that is all that matters
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
PBS is currently showing a Ken Burns series on Country Music. I knew little of this history and it has been fun to watch and learn.

If there is any consistency to this story's message it is how music constantly evolves, borrows, mixes, and changes.

We listen to what we like...the next guy may like something else
...that all of us listen to something and enjoy it
....well that is all that matters

As someone with zero interest in country music, I have found the series to be fascinating.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
As someone with zero interest in country music, I have found the series to be fascinating.

Interesting, I only really like the old stuff myself... I guess I should have recorded it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
Ken Burn’s Country Music series continues to fascinate.

I remember wearing out my first copy of Dylan’s Nashville Skyline back many years ago.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »
Haven't seen the series, and don't consider myself a country fan, but the hall of fame/museum in Nashville was fascinating. Not sure how redundant it would be of the doc, but definitely worth a visit.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
Fare Thee Well Robert Hunter. The best songwriter/storyteller to ever put pen to paper
Bring back FFP!!!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »
Fare Thee Well Robert Hunter. The best songwriter/storyteller to ever put pen to paper

To a deadhead, yes.

To most of us, not so much.

You want lyrics? Try Kris Kristopherson.

feedback