[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nick Saban sucks  (Read 3005 times)

MU82

• All American
Nick Saban sucks
« on: September 13, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-using-tracking-technology-on-cell-phones-to-incentivize-students-to-stay-longer-at-home-games/

This is some nasty "Big Brother" shyte. Not surprisingly, one of the d-baggiest of d-bags anywhere has his slimy fingerprints all over it.

The university, according to the New York Times, is offering improved access to the SEC Championship Game and College Football Playoff. Alabama is uniquely equipped to divvy out such perks to students because, unlike most programs in the sport, Alabama is watching them. Using an app called "Tide Loyalty Points," Alabama will use location-tracking technology to see how long fans are staying at home games. Students who stay through the fourth quarter will get priority access to those postseason games.

After infamously complaining about student attendance last season during nonconference play, it's clear students leaving early is a pet peeve of coach Nick Saban. Just this past weekend, it was again a point of contention for him as fans filed out early during a 62-10 rout of New Mexico State.

"I think it enhances the value of our program if our stadium is full and people stay for 60 minutes in the game, aight," Saban said via 247Sports. "So, from my standpoint, I always want to see the stadium full and I want to see people stay for 60 minutes in the game. We expect our players to compete for 60 minutes in the game. I'm not satisfied with the way some of our players competed in the fourth quarter, the second-team guys and all that. I mean, I'd like to see them get supported just like some of the people that are fun to watch, alright.

"So, I would love for the students there for the whole game, and I know we've tried to enhance with some of the things that we're doing to try to get them to do that. But that's a choice and decision they've got to make. But all these things affect the program, aight, because people come and we have recruits and here, and they want to see a full house and all that."

Tracking students' whereabouts -- and offering perks for those who do what Saban desires -- could certainly be a way to combat this trend. It's also considered by some a privacy concern. Because Alabama is a public university (and by extension, an arm of the government), tracking locations of individuals is "very alarming," privacy watchdog Adam Schwartz, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, told the Times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Nick Saban sucks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
Not sure I see the problem.
Students can choose how and when to use this app, or choose not to use it at all, knowing full well what it does. It's a pretty standard loyalty rewards program, like hundreds of others out there that offer incentives in exchange for you allowing companies to track you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
Yes he does. But this isn't on my personal list of reasons why he sucks
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-using-tracking-technology-on-cell-phones-to-incentivize-students-to-stay-longer-at-home-games/

This is some nasty "Big Brother" shyte. Not surprisingly, one of the d-baggiest of d-bags anywhere has his slimy fingerprints all over it.

The university, according to the New York Times, is offering improved access to the SEC Championship Game and College Football Playoff. Alabama is uniquely equipped to divvy out such perks to students because, unlike most programs in the sport, Alabama is watching them. Using an app called "Tide Loyalty Points," Alabama will use location-tracking technology to see how long fans are staying at home games. Students who stay through the fourth quarter will get priority access to those postseason games.

After infamously complaining about student attendance last season during nonconference play, it's clear students leaving early is a pet peeve of coach Nick Saban. Just this past weekend, it was again a point of contention for him as fans filed out early during a 62-10 rout of New Mexico State.

"I think it enhances the value of our program if our stadium is full and people stay for 60 minutes in the game, aight," Saban said via 247Sports. "So, from my standpoint, I always want to see the stadium full and I want to see people stay for 60 minutes in the game. We expect our players to compete for 60 minutes in the game. I'm not satisfied with the way some of our players competed in the fourth quarter, the second-team guys and all that. I mean, I'd like to see them get supported just like some of the people that are fun to watch, alright.

"So, I would love for the students there for the whole game, and I know we've tried to enhance with some of the things that we're doing to try to get them to do that. But that's a choice and decision they've got to make. But all these things affect the program, aight, because people come and we have recruits and here, and they want to see a full house and all that."

Tracking students' whereabouts -- and offering perks for those who do what Saban desires -- could certainly be a way to combat this trend. It's also considered by some a privacy concern. Because Alabama is a public university (and by extension, an arm of the government), tracking locations of individuals is "very alarming," privacy watchdog Adam Schwartz, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, told the Times.

What do you think most teams will be doing?  I mentioned this last month regarding ticketless app at FF....they are all going to be doing this and all of them will want to influence that behavior....welcome to the new reality.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
Saban is the GOAT.

This is no different than when MU would keep points for students who attended MU athletic events (so you got points for going to volleyball matches and soccer games, etc.) and the top X amount of students would be entered into a drawing to win a big price (I remember at least one year I was there it was a car). You might have gotten points for going to MU Madness and other similar events as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
What do you think most teams will be doing?  I mentioned this last month regarding ticketless app at FF....they are all going to be doing this and all of them will want to influence that behavior....welcome to the new reality.

Many, many universities already use the same technology. It is quite widespread.

They want students to go the football games, but most don't really care about the sport, and don't want to go, so they incentivize them with other perks that are dependent on "loyalty points" obtained by tracking how much time students spend at games.

Problem is it doesn't work well. I know students who have a group of friends that take turns going to the game. They bring all their friends phones, so everyone gets credit even though only one kid is going.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »
Many, many universities already use the same technology. It is quite widespread.

They want students to go the football games, but most don't really care about the sport, and don't want to go, so they incentivize them with other perks that are dependent on "loyalty points" obtained by tracking how much time students spend at games.

Problem is it doesn't work well. I know students who have a group of friends that take turns going to the game. They bring all their friends phones, so everyone gets credit even though only one kid is going.

Exactly...I know.  My point was it is coming to FF as well.  They want to track you the second that bar code is scanned, when you take a piss, when you buy food, when you leave, etc.  The key for it to work well is the bar code of tickets.  I’m surprised kids are willing to part with their phones for even 5 minutes.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
Brother MU:

Alabama is the best football program in the country. And being that good is inevitably fleeting, no matter who you are. Years from now, Alabama students will be able to say, "I saw the Crimson Tide when...."

Just like we old timers talk about Coach Al.

In that vein, I find it amazing that anyone would leave early. You take in a celebration of something really, really wonderful. Heck, I remember rushing a birthday dinner for my girlfriend (at the old Pieces of Eight) one December evening so we could grab a bus in the snow and get to the Arena. At Third and Wisconsin, when she figured out where we were going, she gave me this look and said, "It's my birthday... not your's!"

We have since been married for almost 40 years.

My point... Saban's right. Enjoy it and cheer your team on!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 07:14:19 AM »
In that vein, I find it amazing that anyone would leave early. You take in a celebration of something really, really wonderful.

My guess is that they’re leaving early so that they can get started on the celebration.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
Brother MU:

Alabama is the best football program in the country. And being that good is inevitably fleeting, no matter who you are. Years from now, Alabama students will be able to say, "I saw the Crimson Tide when...."

In that vein, I find it amazing that anyone would leave early. You take in a celebration of something really, really wonderful. Heck, I remember rushing a birthday dinner for my girlfriend (at the old Pieces of Eight) one December evening so we could grab a bus in the snow and get to the Arena. At Third and Wisconsin, when she figured out where we were going, she gave me this look and said, "It's my birthday... not your's!"

My point is that, as long as they aren't hurting anybody, they should do what they want without being told what to do by "big brother."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
Brother MU:

School pride isn't really high on this list for many in this generation.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of them really like their school, but that doesn't often manifest itself in going to sporting events.  Doesn't happen in high school either. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »
Sultan:

Is only staying for 40-50 minutes of a 10-touchdown beatdown of a crappy opponent a sign that Bama students don't have school pride?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »
Alternatively, the football team and athletic department are funded by boosters and advertisers.  Both of which love the crazy, delirious support for the juggernaut which is Bama football.  A half empty student section doesn't help further that image.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
My point is that, as long as they aren't hurting anybody, they should do what they want without being told what to do by "big brother."

But they can do what they want without consequence. There's no punishment for leaving early. There's a reward for staying.

This really isn't any different from you choosing to buy things with a rewards credit card. If you use it, you're allowing the company to track your purchases and spending behavior in exchange for the reward. That's not the same as big brother demanding that you never use cash.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
But they can do what they want without consequence. There's no punishment for leaving early. There's a reward for staying.

This really isn't any different from you choosing to buy things with a rewards credit card. If you use it, you're allowing the company to track your purchases and spending behavior in exchange for the reward. That's not the same as big brother demanding that you never use cash.

Fair enough.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
Yes he does. But this isn't on my personal list of reasons why he sucks

This.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »

Not really. Opt out if you wish. 

It's not unique to Alabama either.. you'll see this grow in use... Bama is just being a LEADER.

Minnesota with a similar program:
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/8/26/athletics-gophers-announce-student-rewards-app-for-2019-20.aspx
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.