[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 69297 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2019, 08:47:52 PM »
Division II?  Or a new division for schools like FBS vs FCS that won't be participating in this out of choice or eventually cannot compete 10 to 15 years down the line as the shift to larger schools dominates.  But hey, progress.

Old man yells at cloud
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »
So if I walked out there with my current skill set and played QB for the Cowboys, I’d make the same in endorsements as Dak?

You wouldn't be the QB for the Cowboys with your current skill set.  False equivalency.  The same reason Dak wouldn't get these endorsements if he wasn't the QB of the Cowboys.  Put Dak on the Bengals, he's not getting these endorsements.  As someone who signed him, I can guarantee you of that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »
I’ve dealt with every argument you have made. Beaten you like a rented mule.

Now I’m just largely ignoring you and making fun of your ridiculousness. It’s kind of a game for me right now.

OK Sultan...whatever you say.  Weird that so many others are making the same argument.  Most importantly, the NCAA.  Now, knowing them they will cave and having been around this for a long time, there will be plenty of clean ups with this nonsense as it has a lot of unintended consequences....which is almost always the case.

You guys should rally hard behind Memphis....their cheating was always under the radar and when they got caught, they were punished.  Now they can pay players without issue, no punishment....they will benefit greatly.  Louisville....huge.  Some big land grand schools that dabble being good...tremendous potential moving forward.  Lots of alums, lots of $$$.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:53:12 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #453 on: September 19, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
OK Sultan...whatever you say.  Weird that so many others are making the same argument.  Most importantly, the NCAA.  Now, knowing them they will cave and having been around this for a long time, there will be plenty of clean ups when this nonsense has a lot of unintended consequences....which is almost always the case.

What changes in college athletics and unintended consequences has the NCAA had to clean up recently?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #454 on: September 19, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »
OK Sultan...whatever you say.  Weird that so many others are making the same argument.  Most importantly, the NCAA.  Now, knowing them they will cave and having been around this for a long time, there will be plenty of clean ups when this nonsense has a lot of unintended consequences....which is almost always the case.

Yes. You, the NCAA and Tim Tebow.

There’s a brain trust right there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #455 on: September 19, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
Yes. You, the NCAA and Tim Tebow.

There’s a brain trust right there.

I think you missed a few dozen experts, but that's ok.....the rented mule stick must be in the closet.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #456 on: September 19, 2019, 09:01:57 PM »
You wouldn't be the QB for the Cowboys with your current skill set.  False equivalency.  The same reason Dak wouldn't get these endorsements if he wasn't the QB of the Cowboys.  Put Dak on the Bengals, he's not getting these endorsements.  As someone who signed him, I can guarantee you of that.

So Rodgers retires tomorrow and Kizer is the new State Farm spokesperson? Sure, the team provides value, but the player’s own ability and marketability plays a role in them getting these endorsements.

Pakuni, you got your name drop.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #457 on: September 19, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
So Rodgers retires tomorrow and Kizer is the new State Farm spokesperson? Sure, the team provides value, but the player’s own ability and marketability plays a role in them getting these endorsements.

No, because Kizer isn't as good a QB.  Let's put it another way, Rodgers goes to the Tampa Bay Bucs....his endorsements are going to drop.  Who you play for, where you play, what you play....matters.  At least in the NFL.  In the NBA, it's a little different, but even then...an OKC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Orlando player is not going to get the same endorsements as someone from a major urban area.  I'm sorry, they just aren't.  For the same reason a 2000 square foot house in LA is a lot differently priced identical house when it is in Oklahoma City.

Name drop or not, it's factually true and I stated it as someone with an expertise in the area.  If Pakuni wants to talk the law, as an esquire he should.  If MU82 wants to talk as a girls basketball assistant coach, he should as an expert in that area.  If 4ever or Rocket want to discuss dentristy, or Keefe as a pilot....yes, it carries more weight to be frank.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
Lots of whining.  PROFIT from their likeness.....getting paid.  When Dak Prescott receives payment from the Cowboys or from a sponsor, he is getting paid for one reason...because he is the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.  Two different entities paying him, for the same reason.  Just like a player in college would be paid for the same reason...because they play.  PAY TO PLAY.   You can whine all day and night, tell us how you coach girls basketball, I don't care....cut to the chase....it is PAY TO PLAY....it's in the damn legislation's title. 

What you are advocating is money laundering essentially, so you can hide behind some keyboard to suggest the schools aren't paying them directly.  HA!  These guys wouldn't get paid at all if not for playing, who does the paying still achieves the same goal you want...to pay them.   So who is the team you will be cheering for in the future?

You were wrong. You lied over and over again. And you are among the SIGNIFICANT minority of Americans who believe college athletes shouldn't be allowed to profit off their own likenesses. Period. Go whine on Dodds' site, hoopy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #459 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
You were wrong. You lied over and over again. And you are among the SIGNIFICANT minority of Americans who believe college athletes shouldn't be allowed to profit off their own likenesses. Period. Go whine on Dodds' site, hoopy.

49% think college athletes should be paid.  2019 poll.  College athletes getting paid because they are college athletes.  Paid is paid.  Sorry, no lie...not even close. 

I wonder if they did a poll of college students what they would think?  Should ice cream be free?  Should car insurance be free?  Should college be free?  Should they get $500K as starting salary?  Should college athletes get paid to play?  Ahh, that's where we should go for the source of wisdom.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
Given a lot of thought and here's where I'm at.

If a computer science major on a full ride can monetize a youtube channel based on tutoring then an athlete should be able to based on their skill as well. There are people who do so based on sexuality (cheerleaders), people who do so with music, and less athletic talent than the actual top athletes.

If said athlete wants a check from the university already housing, feeding, teaching, giving them expensive clothing etc then they are out of their mind.

If a student is Simmons, Williamson, Wiggans, Parker, Okafor level where they get no real value from the marketing platform or then they shouldn't be in college in the first place and that's the NBA's issue to resolve.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #461 on: September 19, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »

If a computer science major on a full ride can monetize a youtube channel based on tutoring then an athlete should be able to based on their skill as well. There are people who do so based on sexuality (cheerleaders), people who do so with music, and less athletic talent than the actual top athletes.

If said athlete wants a check from the university already housing, feeding, teaching, giving them expensive clothing etc then they are out of their mind.

If a student is Simmons, Williamson, Wiggans, Parker, Okafor level where they get no real value from the marketing platform or then they shouldn't be in college in the first place and that's the NBA's issue to resolve.

I don't think anyone is against them being allowed to have their own youtube channel.

Pakuni

• All American
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:11:55 PM by Pakuni »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
Then again ...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/31/ucf-kicker-donald-de-la-haye-ineligible-ncaa-youtube-videos

Also ....
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2017/09/21/texas-am-runner-ryan-trahan-ineligible-ncaa-ruled-ineligbile-youtube-page

I know it's a violation. I just don't think any people actually care if they have youtube channels.

Now other marketing "likeness" and being paid is a different story. Many legitimate issues that would/could arise there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:38 PM »
49% think college athletes should be paid.  2019 poll.  College athletes getting paid because they are college athletes.  Paid is paid.  Sorry, no lie...not even close. 

I wonder if they did a poll of college students what they would think?  Should ice cream be free?  Should car insurance be free?  Should college be free?  Should they get $500K as starting salary?  Should college athletes get paid to play?  Ahh, that's where we should go for the source of wisdom.

There you go again. Deflecting and shifting goalposts to cover up your incompetence and lies. You are shameless, I'll give you credit for that. You certainly aren't fooling anybody. I mean, even Boo Boo knows not to try to defend the indefensible here.

66% of Americans said college athletes SHOULD BE COMPENSATED WHEN THEIR NAMES AND IMAGES ARE USED TO GENERATE PROFIT.

You're so desperate to somehow not be wrong. What next? A Sharpie to help "prove" your point?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2019, 11:37:42 PM »

Student athletes can have YouTube channels.  Just like they can have jobs.  What they cannot do is use their position as a student athlete to monetize that YouTube channel.  Yup, there are rules around it....if they don’t like....become the computer science major and quit the team...they can have exactly what they have.  Cheerleaders get kicked off teams if they do anything sexual nature .... there is a whole list of rules that they have to abide by while representing the school.  Just as frats, etc, can get in trouble.  Rules exist.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:56 PM »
There you go again. Deflecting and shifting goalposts to cover up your incompetence and lies. You are shameless, I'll give you credit for that. You certainly aren't fooling anybody. I mean, even Boo Boo knows not to try to defend the indefensible here.

66% of Americans said college athletes SHOULD BE COMPENSATED WHEN THEIR NAMES AND IMAGES ARE USED TO GENERATE PROFIT.

You're so desperate to somehow not be wrong. What next? A Sharpie to help "prove" your point?

49% of Americans said college athletes should be compensated because they play college athletics.  2019 poll

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2019, 11:50:12 PM »
A thorough, complete, and accurate beat down of Chico's usual lies by and 82 and...bye bye Chicos, Hello WarriorDad. Weird.

Can you explain this?  There are other examples I found, including posts from him and I less than 2 seconds apart.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=57157.msg1063473#msg1063473

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2019, 12:57:19 AM »
Can you explain this?  There are other examples I found, including posts from him and I less than 2 seconds apart.

Um....have two browsers open and login into one account on one and another account on the other and click post at the same time?

Also, I don't if it's somewhere else in the thread you linked, but the posts your link took me to are over a minute apart. Plenty of time for a quick man with considerable scooping experience!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:00:22 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:08:20 AM by Uncle Rico »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #470 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:10 AM »

Far better example...and a name that gets dropped fairly regularly around here...Peyton Manning.

Colts, Broncos, retirement.

Peyton cashes lots of checks (sung to the tune of the Nationwide jingle)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #471 on: September 20, 2019, 08:13:22 AM »
No, because Kizer isn't as good a QB.  Let's put it another way, Rodgers goes to the Tampa Bay Bucs....his endorsements are going to drop.  Who you play for, where you play, what you play....matters.  At least in the NFL.  In the NBA, it's a little different, but even then...an OKC, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Orlando player is not going to get the same endorsements as someone from a major urban area.  I'm sorry, they just aren't.  For the same reason a 2000 square foot house in LA is a lot differently priced identical house when it is in Oklahoma City.

It's doesn't matter.  Student athletes should have the ability to monetize on their likeness regardless of how they got famous.  This is just another strawman you've slapped together.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #472 on: September 20, 2019, 08:17:01 AM »
Student athletes can have YouTube channels.  Just like they can have jobs.  What they cannot do is use their position as a student athlete to monetize that YouTube channel.  Yup, there are rules around it....if they don’t like....become the computer science major and quit the team...they can have exactly what they have.  Cheerleaders get kicked off teams if they do anything sexual nature .... there is a whole list of rules that they have to abide by while representing the school.  Just as frats, etc, can get in trouble.  Rules exist.

Rules exist though if a rule has no real logic behind it in this day and age then it's up to governing bodies to change said rule. Markus Howard has thousands of followers by nature of him being an All American, if he wants to monetize his YouTube channel about god is he using his station as an athlete to get followers? The rules are outdated for the current world, and should be changed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #473 on: September 20, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »
Rules exist though if a rule has no real logic behind it in this day and age then it's up to governing bodies to change said rule. Markus Howard has thousands of followers by nature of him being an All American, if he wants to monetize his YouTube channel about god is he using his station as an athlete to get followers? The rules are outdated for the current world, and should be changed.

On this point, I'm still amazed that the NCAA allowed Arike Ogunbowale (ND Basketball player) to compete on Dancing with the Stars and keep the money she earned.  Without question, she was selected for that show based upon her fame as an NCAA athlete (following two final four buzzer beaters).  Hell, the season she was on was specifically focused on sports and only included athletes.  The NCAA concluded that any money that she won was based upon her "dancing achievements" and not her "basketball abilities."  This completely ignores the fact that it was only her basketball fame that got her on the show.  By this logic, any money that Markus Howard earns on a monetized YouTube channel would be based upon his YouTube achievements, and not his basketball skills.

Given the NCAA's long-standing position, the decision to allow Ogunbowale to keep the money she earned on Dancing with the Stars was utterly indefensible.  And then to restrict her from being involved in advertising for the show -- but still compete on the show itself -- was just nonsensical.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #474 on: September 20, 2019, 08:38:53 AM »

Hoopaloopin'.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.