[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Guru might be on to something  (Read 2833 times)

tower912

• All American
Guru might be on to something
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-american-men-are-getting-less-marriageable-2018-1

Marriage rates dropping because of fewer young men being seen as being able to support a family.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Guru might be on to something
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
Not a shock. I suspect it's also a factor of women being more financially independent than in the past, plus growing skepticism of marriage as an institution, as evidenced by the ever-rising divorce rate. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »
We agree.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »
Not a shock. I suspect it's also a factor of women being more financially independent than in the past, plus growing skepticism of marriage as an institution, as evidenced by the ever-rising divorce rate.

Ever rising?  Source please.  Through 2018 it was dropping.  The myth of it being 50% was long ago destroyed here and elsewhere despite it being a myth that wouldn’t die for a long time.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
I should have been more specific in saying that millennials are more selective because of the ever rising divorce rate among older generations.

See below, which shows continuing increases for ages 45+.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/26/millennials-blame-lower-us-divorce-rate-study/1429494002/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:15:59 PM by GooooMarquette »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
I should have been more specific in saying that millennials are more selective because of the ever rising divorce rate among older generations.

See below, which shows continuing increases for ages 45+.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/26/millennials-blame-lower-us-divorce-rate-study/1429494002/

Ok, but overall divorce rate is dropping....down 18% between 2008 and 2018.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
Ok, but overall divorce rate is dropping....down 18% between 2008 and 2018.

Yes, because as I said in my original post, millennials are being more patient and selective.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »
This article out today....men are broke and broken by Wokeness.   Men cannot measure up anymore, they don’t make enough money, they have been taught to be different then men in the past....fun 3 minute read.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/in-2019-men-are-broke-and-broken-by-wokeness/

That's dumb.  "Toxic masculinity" and "the desire to compete and achieve" are not mutually exclusive.  I know plenty of men who have accomplished a ton in their lives, but will still come home and cook dinner and do laundry. 

Anyway, the main reason that this next generation is getting married late (if at all) is economic.  Kids are increasingly expensive and you don't need marriage to fill the need for sex.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »

That's dumb.  "Toxic masculinity" and "the desire to compete and achieve" are not mutually exclusive.  I know plenty of men who have accomplished a ton in their lives, but will still come home and cook dinner and do laundry. 

Anyway, the main reason that this next generation is getting married late (if at all) is economic.  Kids are increasingly expensive and you don't need marriage to fill the need for sex.

Well who am I to dispute the woman who wrote the article and gave her opinion....

feedback