[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette rated as one of the most underrated jobs in the country  (Read 14923 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Marquette rated as one of the most underrated jobs in the country
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 08:10:11 PM »
Dude no one thought Henry was going to stay here more than a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
I agree with you. There are but about 10 jobs a major program coach would leave for (barring a unique situation like Buzz being 'encourage' to look elsewhere). Even schools like Arizona and Texas looked to mid-major conferences for their current coaches. Marquette is no better or worse than schools like NC State, Illinois, Baylor, Stanford, etc. when it comes to getting a new coach.

That said, MU is a very attractive job and will have lots of great candidates when the day comes to replace Wojo.

Excellent post.

Howland was a retread with significant baggage who was desperate for any job, which is why he ended up at Mississippi State. Martin wanted to use us as a short-term stepping stone.

And those were the BEST P5-experience coaches who were interested in the job.

I wish that weren't true. I wish that every time we have an opening, there will always be several incredible, proven, annual-Sweet-16-participating coaches lined up to leave their Sweet 16-capable programs to come lead Marquette to the promised land.

But not a single one of us has seen evidence of that being the case.

Not even guru, who claims to know of a secret list of super-successful, NCAA-tourney-proven, P5 mystery coaches who are yearning to be Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:53 PM »
Ask your buddy Larry Williams...

I don’t need to, looks like Buzz unnatural carnal knowledgeing quit on his team, never reimbursed the university for stealing the money.  Or, is the answer with the restrictions put on Buzz he couldn’t achieve and do anything, but somehow Wojo has made it to three post season tournaments with those restrictions and Buzz had zero.  No wonder he went to pastures that allow a bit more...shall we say...flexibility.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
Dude no one thought Henry was going to stay here more than a year.

With that pathetic draft year, it would have been criminal not to leave.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
I don’t need to, looks like Buzz unnatural carnal knowledgeing quit on his team, never reimbursed the university for stealing the money.  Or, is the answer with the restrictions put on Buzz he couldn’t achieve and do anything, but somehow Wojo has made it to three post season tournaments with those restrictions and Buzz had zero.  No wonder he went to pastures that allow a bit more...shall we say...flexibility.

You may want to edit your post or call your lawyer.

As to your emotional answer to my statement, I answered the question without judgment. Either directly or indirectly/partly, the new academic standards impacted that team (as did Buzz’s behavior and actions). TJ Taylor, Todd Mayo, Vander Blue, Jameel McKay (who Buzz wanted to redshirt so he could show advancement towards his degree which is one reason for their dust up). In addition, all this was late so Buzz worked to get Jake and Juan to retract their transfers and he got Otule to stay for Year 6. Oh, and let’s not forget Duane’s season long injury. These players were all admitted, not by Buzz, but by MU Admissions and I presume the NCAA Clearinghouse...and it greatly impacted the make-up of that team, right or wrong.

In addition, recruits like Sam Cassell Jr. (ND Prep like Lazar, Damian Saunders, Mayo) and Charles Matthews academics were questionable under the new standards. Yes, Buzz wanted to get out of dodge but he wanted to make the tournament badly with that pieced together line up to say eff you with an emphasis on the way out. And he almost did but for those four OT losses.

Again, we can argue pro and con forever (and you will)...but I am glad the lot of them are all gone.  As to your embezzlement charge, I am not aware nor can I support that contention. Maybe the answer is in your other shoe?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 11:27:03 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-school-is-the-most-underrated-job-in-college-basketball/

On Marquette

"The Marquette job, the resources are out of this world and they want to be really good. The facilities are getting even better and the brand new arena helps too. If you have even close to being good the support shows up too."
    "Loyal, passionate fan base. Great tradition. No football. Pro city and they invest big time in hoops."
    "Huge budget, passionate fans, NBA facility, history of pros, recruiting base but can recruit nationally."

I have said it before, this job...when open CAN/WOULD/HAS drawn better names then a lot of people think.

I must say that when I saw this quote on Gonzaga, I thought of you, guru:

"But another reason why Gonzaga got the most votes? The campus, community and attitude in Spokane, Washington, is viewed as a near-perfect blend of expectations and pragmatism. Few might have the best work/life balance of any head coach in the sport"

Blending expectations with pragmatism?
Work/Life balance for the head coach?
How can they possibly win?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
Look, any coaching job is good as long as you win. Period.

You build it, you harvest it and your team shows consistent, high-end performance in the NCAA tournament and you'll be at a great coaching job. Heck, if Tom Crean can start winning consistently, even a backwater basketball school like Georgia can be a blueblood.

If location mattered, UCLA would have won every NCAA Championship since the Wooden era. The Final Four likely would be UCLA, Miami, Florida and maybe St. John's (assuming NYC matters to kids). Villanova in Philadelphia? Who would want to go there? Ditto for Notre Dame in South Bend.

What the people who were pointing us out said, was in effect, get your act together, perform at a high level and there won't be many universities that have a better job. You'll have all the money, all the support and all the amenities you need -- and then some!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
Look, any coaching job is good as long as you win. Period.

You build it, you harvest it and your team shows consistent, high-end performance in the NCAA tournament and you'll be at a great coaching job. Heck, if Tom Crean can start winning consistently, even a backwater basketball school like Georgia can be a blueblood.

If location mattered, UCLA would have won every NCAA Championship since the Wooden era. The Final Four likely would be UCLA, Miami, Florida and maybe St. John's (assuming NYC matters to kids). Villanova in Philadelphia? Who would want to go there? Ditto for Notre Dame in South Bend.

What the people who were pointing us out said, was in effect, get your act together, perform at a high level and there won't be many universities that have a better job. You'll have all the money, all the support and all the amenities you need -- and then some!

And we got chili too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
There is something wrong when we are lumped in with Dayton, or that we are even included in this conversation. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »
You may want to edit your post or call your lawyer.

As to your emotional answer to my statement, I answered the question without judgment. Either directly or indirectly/partly, the new academic standards impacted that team (as did Buzz’s behavior and actions). TJ Taylor, Todd Mayo, Vander Blue, Jameel McKay (who Buzz wanted to redshirt so he could show advancement towards his degree which is one reason for their dust up). In addition, all this was late so Buzz worked to get Jake and Juan to retract their transfers and he got Otule to stay for Year 6. Oh, and let’s not forget Duane’s season long injury. These players were all admitted, not by Buzz, but by MU Admissions and I presume the NCAA Clearinghouse...and it greatly impacted the make-up of that team, right or wrong.

In addition, recruits like Sam Cassell Jr. (ND Prep like Lazar, Damian Saunders, Mayo) and Charles Matthews academics were questionable under the new standards. Yes, Buzz wanted to get out of dodge but he wanted to make the tournament badly with that pieced together line up to say eff you with an emphasis on the way out. And he almost did but for those four OT losses.

Again, we can argue pro and con forever (and you will)...but I am glad the lot of them are all gone.  As to your embezzlement charge, I am not aware nor can I support that contention. Maybe the answer is in your other shoe?

Call my lawyer?  Why?  Embezzlement charge....no, more like mailing it in and getting paid for the effort.  I remember Steve Alford having the decency of refusing some contractual money (giving back a one year extension)....Buzz looked like he was on cruise control that year.

The 4 OT losses....how about the five double digit losses, zero good wins.  We were a team that struggled to beat Southern and New Hampshire at home, took OT to beat a horrific DePaul team. 

McKey he should have been forthright from the start on his position and redshirt, which the kid would have said no and we move on to a different scenario.  It’s funny how many people take shots at Wojo the GM, well wasn’t Buzz the GM of that team?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:50:28 AM by Cheeks »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
It’s funny how many people take shots at Wojo the GM, well wasn’t Buzz the GM of that team?

GM? In this case and it was true back then, Mike Broeker is the GM of MUBB.  Wojo (nor Buzz) is not the GM of Marquette basketball. Weird take by a professional. Maybe Al and Hank shared both titles.

This thread was/is about the MU coaching position. Perhaps one person took a veiled shot at Wojo. Buzz was mentioned because despite the shyt show back then, the job had many interested qualified candidates.

Yet, here you are with another triggered and off topic Buzz/Wojo rant (on his one missed post-season...which MU declined to pursue a NIT bid, btw) because we don’t have enough of those.  The reality, those in charge at the time (read “all”) were responsible for that year’s (and a few more) shytshow, not just in MUBB, but the AD and the entire university. And you talk about Buzz taking his salary that year...what about all the money MU paid to get rid of all those characters?  Yet, the MUBB job was still somehow attractive.

Oh, good luck with your libel case.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »
You sarcastically knock Wojo for lack of sweet 16 while not mentioning that fact he has been here and two sets of guys have left here before they were ready who should have been here all 4 years....

Especially Ellenson and the Hausers. I think he has done a fantastic job...and it take 4-7 years to establish your own program.

Cheatham had to leave to take care of his mother was it and be close to home, and Sandy Cohen couldn't work it out.

A player returning here or there would have done it...or a better run with injuries is where the lack of luck comes in and bad breaks, not bad coaching.

Had Henry stayed two more years like he needed you would have your sweet 16's...

Henry was going pro after year 1. Everyone knew that

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
Call my lawyer?  Why?  Embezzlement charge....no, more like mailing it in and getting paid for the effort.  I remember Steve Alford having the decency of refusing some contractual money (giving back a one tear extension)....Buzz looked like he was on cruise control that year.

The 4 OT losses....how about the five double digit losses, zero good wins.  We were a team that struggled to beat Southern and New Hampshire at home, took OT to beat a horrific DePaul team. 

McKey he should have been forthright from the start on his position and redshirt, which the kid would have said no and we move on to a different scenario.  It’s funny how many people take shots at Wojo the GM, well wasn’t Buzz the GM of that team?

Every coach has a bad year. The problem is the continued bad years with the same problems and excuses.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
You sarcastically knock Wojo for lack of sweet 16 while not mentioning that fact he has been here and two sets of guys have left here before they were ready who should have been here all 4 years....

Especially Ellenson and the Hausers. I think he has done a fantastic job...and it take 4-7 years to establish your own program.

Cheatham had to leave to take care of his mother was it and be close to home, and Sandy Cohen couldn't work it out.

A player returning here or there would have done it...or a better run with injuries is where the lack of luck comes in and bad breaks, not bad coaching.

Had Henry stayed two more years like he needed you would have your sweet 16's...

Has Wojo ever had all 13 scholarship players ready to play while here at MU for an entire season?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 12:04:49 PM »
Excellent post.

Howland was a retread with significant baggage who was desperate for any job, which is why he ended up at Mississippi State. Martin wanted to use us as a short-term stepping stone.

And those were the BEST P5-experience coaches who were interested in the job.

I wish that weren't true. I wish that every time we have an opening, there will always be several incredible, proven, annual-Sweet-16-participating coaches lined up to leave their Sweet 16-capable programs to come lead Marquette to the promised land.

But not a single one of us has seen evidence of that being the case.

Not even guru, who claims to know of a secret list of super-successful, NCAA-tourney-proven, P5 mystery coaches who are yearning to be Warriors.

Martin would have stayed. He was trying to outrun the posse in Knoxville which is why he inexplicably jumped to Cal.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
Has Wojo ever had all 13 scholarship players ready to play while here at MU for an entire season?
Irrelevant.  Buzz never had 13 players.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »

And there is an argument to be had that having one open is opportunistic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
Yes.  Makes midseason transfers possible.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
I thought he was taking a shot at Wojo for not being able to fill the roster in 5+ years.

I hope we're not getting to the point where excuses and complaints about Wojo are blurred. Some of these threads get confusing enough.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »

Yet, here you are with another triggered and off topic Buzz/Wojo rant (on his one missed post-season...which MU declined to pursue a NIT bid, btw) because we don’t have enough of those.  The reality, those in charge at the time (read “all”) were responsible for that year’s (and a few more) shytshow, not just in MUBB, but the AD and the entire university. And you talk about Buzz taking his salary that year...what about all the money MU paid to get rid of all those characters?  Yet, the MUBB job was still somehow attractive.

Chico is obsessed and unhinged. And totally dishonest. You'll state facts. He'll tell lies and move the goal posts. Rinse, wash, repeat. Best of luck.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
GM? In this case and it was true back then, Mike Broeker is the GM of MUBB.  Wojo (nor Buzz) is not the GM of Marquette basketball. Weird take by a professional. Maybe Al and Hank shared both titles.

This thread was/is about the MU coaching position. Perhaps one person took a veiled shot at Wojo. Buzz was mentioned because despite the shyt show back then, the job had many interested qualified candidates.

MU didn't decline a NIT bid, MU was snubbed by the NIT.  We didn't get a bid to decline. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/nit-snub-leads-to-abrupt-end-of-marquettes-season-b99226497z1-250558831.html/

"When the National Invitation Tournament did not extend the Golden Eagles a bid, they chose not to commit to any other postseason tournament for the first time since the 2000-'01 season."

The only bid we declined were the CBI or any other third rate tournament not named the NIT.

In college sports, the GM is the head coach. Only the coach assembles the roster through recruiting / transfers.  The AD, the Deputy AD, the Associate ADs, do not. 

I didn't libel anyone, but if one were to take to court on that statement along with millions of statements similar by sports fans criticizing players, coaches, managers, GMs, etc for being overpaid, terrible, lazy bums, or whatever as it pertains to sports....well so be it.  Buzz was on auto pilot that year.  Terrible job of coaching and there are 100's of posts if not 1000's on this fan site alone by many fans saying the same thing....that will be part of the evidence submitted...your honor.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:02:02 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
Chico is obsessed and unhinged. And totally dishonest. You'll state facts. He'll tell lies and move the goal posts. Rinse, wash, repeat. Best of luck.

Not dishonest at all.  His "stated facts" that MU declined a NIT bid, absolutely false and I just provided evidence of it.  Your repeated claims of lies blown out of water again.  It's ok, you can admit you were wrong.  I think the Doctor will, because he's a smart and ethical man.

By the way, the "FACTS" that were stated to counter my "LIES"....here's what Buzz Williams said.....anytime you want to apologize, just let me know.

Said coach Buzz Williams, "We are obviously disappointed not to be participating in the postseason this year. We were excited by the opportunity to continue to compete and improve, but we weren't included in the NIT field."

Yup....those "lies"...those damned lies.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:06:33 PM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Martin would have stayed.

You know this how?

He was trying to outrun the posse in Knoxville which is why he inexplicably jumped to Cal.

Mizzou is his fourth job. He has never stayed for more than 3 years at any of them. And yet you "know" that Martin would have stayed at Marquette for a long time? Okey dokey then.

And BTW, Martin's Cal team lost a first-round game as a 4-seed -- a fireable offense around these parts!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
Martin would have stayed. He was trying to outrun the posse in Knoxville which is why he inexplicably jumped to Cal.

Respectfully disagree here. Nothing in his past suggest he stays anywhere.  Honestly, I'm surprised he got as far as he did in the interview process from some of the smoke that's out there as he has hopped from place to place.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
MU didn't decline a NIT bid, MU was snubbed by the NIT.  We didn't get a bid to decline. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/nit-snub-leads-to-abrupt-end-of-marquettes-season-b99226497z1-250558831.html/

"When the National Invitation Tournament did not extend the Golden Eagles a bid, they chose not to commit to any other postseason tournament for the first time since the 2000-'01 season."

The only bid we declined were the CBI or any other third rate tournament not named the NIT.

In college sports, the GM is the head coach. Only the coach assembles the roster through recruiting / transfers.  The AD, the Deputy AD, the Associate ADs, do not. 

I didn't libel anyone, but if one were to take to court on that statement along with millions of statements similar by sports fans criticizing players, coaches, managers, GMs, etc for being overpaid, terrible, lazy bums, or whatever as it pertains to sports....well so be it.  Buzz was on auto pilot that year.  Terrible job of coaching and there are 100's of posts if not 1000's on this fan site alone by many fans saying the same thing....that will be part of the evidence submitted...your honor.   ;)

Marquette made it known they would pass ("declined to pursue". Note that carefully worded quote). Ask your buddy Cords instead of your go to Google. 

Cords sent a letter out to donors a week or so before basically saying hang on for the bumpy ride...we'll be okay in the long term.  Buzz subsequently locked himself in a room and pursued his next job as MUAD silently applauded.

feedback